Mobile menu

Can I edit my response to a peer comment? (Staff: 'Now you can')
Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:01
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jan 22, 2004

The comments of peers play a significant role in helping the asker to select a befitting reply in connection with his question as he is sometimes ignorant of the other language. It is optional for the answerer to record his views in respect of comments passed by the peers. While a provision has recently been made for the peers to edit their comments by means of switching to new kudoz design (beta version), I think no facility exists for the answerers to edit their responses against the peer comments. The need for editing one's response is felt in the following cases:

1. The response was typed in a haste and it contains a number of typing as well as grammatical errors.

2. The response is incomplete as the "enter" got pressed inadvertently.

3. Peer has changed his comment, thus necessitating the change of response on the part of answerer.

I have searched a lot for doing the needful in this respect but in vain. Does this feature exist at all? If so, could someone enlighten me about the procedure of editing the response.

Thanks in advance)

[Edited at 2004-01-22 16:55]

Direct link Reply with quote

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:31
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
can an answerer edit an (optional) response to a peer comment Jan 22, 2004

at present there isn't a means for the answerer to edit a response to a comment, once they have made it, with good and bad consequences.
It is true that when a peer comment is radically edited, leaving an answer's comment to something different, it can look disjointed. Mispellings and bits missed off are frustrating too (although an answerer could add a brief correction to the answer itself, although that might alter the time ranking in the new "beta"kudos interface).

The disadvantage of "reply"editing is that (in a minority of cases) it might encourage a chain reaction of repeatedly edited comments and responses, with bad consequences in some cases, and I believe this is why it hasn't been introduced.

One suggestion which has been made is that the system should show when a comment has been edited, to at least highlight to a reader why an answer's response doesn't match a radically altered comment.
Anyway, that's the situation at present (to help use the system as it is at the moment, and as a starting point to express likes and dislikes:-)
Best wishes
Giuli

~Eng Russ Geo~

ah well, outpaced by swiftly changing events I'm glad it's changed anyway.

[Edited at 2004-01-22 18:11]

[Edited at 2004-01-22 21:20]

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 08:31
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
It's not possible to edit answers to peer-agreements Jan 22, 2004

We have already suggested it, that since peer-agreement can be edited, answers should be too.

The other reasons you mention are less valid in my opinion. We should answer to peer-agreements carefully, and try to avoid long discussions, as the space to justify the answer is above. It helps to avoid personal remarks too.

I understand, but have a doubt, that you're only talking of answers to peer-agreements and not of answers to the question. For these (just in case), whenever there are typing or grammatical errors that you notice, the best is to hide and answer again.

I hope this answers to your question.

langclinic wrote:

1. The response was typed in a haste and it contains a number of typing as well as grammatical errors.

2. The response is incomplete as the "enter" got pressed inadvertently.

3. Peer has changed his comment, thus necessitating the change of response on the part of answerer.

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:31
SITE FOUNDER
I just turned on the function Jan 22, 2004

I had developed the function for editing responses to peer comments a few weeks ago. Thanks to your thread, I realize I never turned it on. (Note: it is available only in the beta design.)

Please try it now and let me know--by posting here--if there are any problems.

Thank you.

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:31
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
I did not have any problem Jan 22, 2004

Henry wrote:

Please try it now and let me know--by posting here--if there are any problems.

Thank you.

Hi Henry,
I just used it and I did not have any problem. Thank you, very usuful indeed.
Monika

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:01
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Jan 23, 2004

Yes, it works! Many thanks for activating this function.

[Edited at 2004-01-24 14:41]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I edit my response to a peer comment? (Staff: 'Now you can')

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs