Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is there any way to limit excessive posting? (staff: 'yes')
Thread poster: Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:36
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 6, 2004

Hi.

I'm sitting here, translating away, and every minute or so for the last half hour, my computer has beeped to alert me of a new email. Each time I look, it is the SAME PERSON --- oops, there's another posting from this person as we speak --- posting now 25 questions in the Tech/Engineering category.

While I think that KudoZ is a great way to get some questions answered, I think the key word in this is "SOME". This is ridiculous. OOPS. There's ANOTHER posting from
... See more
Hi.

I'm sitting here, translating away, and every minute or so for the last half hour, my computer has beeped to alert me of a new email. Each time I look, it is the SAME PERSON --- oops, there's another posting from this person as we speak --- posting now 25 questions in the Tech/Engineering category.

While I think that KudoZ is a great way to get some questions answered, I think the key word in this is "SOME". This is ridiculous. OOPS. There's ANOTHER posting from this person -- 26.

Is there anything that can be done about this? This is obviously someone who has taken on a translation job in an area she is not sure of, because otherwise, she wouldn't be asking so many questions...

Please, oh please, is there something we can do about this? This is abusive. I like knowing about KudoZ and taking my best shot in answering them, but this is ridiculous. It just wants to make me turn off the notification system!

Thanks.
Sandra

PS. As I go to hit "send", BEEP, there's number 27.
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
See my response to this posting Feb 6, 2004

See my response to this posting:
http://www.proz.com/topic/18151

Bill Greendyk
Bill Greendyk  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Revised KudoZ Rules Feb 6, 2004

1.5 - In general, askers should refrain from posting a large number of questions in a short period of time.

Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 09:36
English to French
+ ...
Change your settings Feb 6, 2004

If you are bothered by incoming mail concerning questions, just change your settings on this site. That is what I have done, I check one or two times a day and answer to questions when I have a clue or something to say.
Asking questions is a right...

Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sure, it's a right... Feb 6, 2004

Martine Etienne wrote:

If you are bothered by incoming mail concerning questions, just change your settings on this site. That is what I have done, I check one or two times a day and answer to questions when I have a clue or something to say.

This is not merely the asking of a question or two. We're talking 30 in the period of an hour. That's abusive and excessive.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It depends on the situation Feb 6, 2004

Martine Etienne wrote:

True, but when someone asks this many questions without an explanation and with an empty profile, you cannot help but “suspect” that they are in over their head, they are abusing the free help offered by their colleagues (and not returning the favor) and should not have agreed to do this job.

[Edited at 2004-02-07 17:01]

Alexandru Pojoga
Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 10:36
Japanese to English
+ ...
"Ignore this person" option Feb 7, 2004

Perhaps a workable solution would be an "Ignore this person" option.

For 24 hours/a week/indefinitely.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Yes Feb 7, 2004

Yes, some flexible/stepped limits will be imposed to address this problem. In the meantime, please just batch delete. (FYI, we intend to standardize the KudoZ "beta" design before addressing the issue of limits - that will be within the week; limits will come within the month.)

I expect the new category structure to also help in reducing email volume, and making the experience more targeted.

Thanks for posting, and for using KudoZ!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Ignore this person -- also on the todos Feb 7, 2004

Alexandru Pojoga wrote:

Perhaps a workable solution would be an "Ignore this person" option.

For 24 hours/a week/indefinitely.

We intend to do that. I had not considered the timed aspect; it is a good idea.

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Five + 1 Feb 7, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

As a summary I proposed many times an imposition of daily limit of 5 questions + Phrase,

Such exploitation disaffected all Professional Kudoz participants from colaboration spirit.

Sure way to get less and less people on proz !

I think this is well the last of the reasons why professionals participants disaffected the site !

Can this kind of complainers just disregardsuch questions in place of complaining if this is so much bother ? (And turn off the beep)

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
For who ? Feb 7, 2004

Sandra Alboum wrote:
This is not merely the asking of a question or two. We're talking 30 in the period of an hour. That's abusive and excessive.

Not for me. Agree with others. Just change your settings, IGNORE, pass on to the next.

I am not bothered. The more questions the merrier.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
customization + compromise Feb 7, 2004

lien wrote:

... Agree with others. Just change your settings, IGNORE, pass on to the next.

I am not bothered. The more questions the merrier.

That approach works for you. Others feel differently. We can tailor to some extent--so you get what you want and others get what they want--but there may also may need to be some compromise. Your understanding and cooperation would be appreciated.

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
The real reasons Feb 8, 2004

I really wonder what are the real reasons why people are bothered by someone asking many questions or posting much text.

They just complain on the forums without telling why.

Do they just protest because someone does something they would never do ?

Are they really afraid they would get less money when helping someone, because they feel the other got a job he cannot handle and they feel they could have had the job if the other hadn't got it ?

... See more
I really wonder what are the real reasons why people are bothered by someone asking many questions or posting much text.

They just complain on the forums without telling why.

Do they just protest because someone does something they would never do ?

Are they really afraid they would get less money when helping someone, because they feel the other got a job he cannot handle and they feel they could have had the job if the other hadn't got it ?

But we are all on the market, the other is as easy to find as yourself, why didn't you get it then ?

I joined proz first because I was looking on the net if I could help someone with my knowledge of French, what comes so easy for me is very difficult for another.
Collapse

Abdellatif Bouhid
Abdellatif Bouhid  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
A neutral way Feb 8, 2004

could be to limit the number of open questions an asker could have at any one time.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Abdellatif Feb 8, 2004

Abdellatif Bouhid wrote:

could be to limit the number of open questions an asker could have at any one time.

Thanks for the suggestion. That is one approach now being considered.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there any way to limit excessive posting? (staff: 'yes')

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »