Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Wowwwwwwwwww !! ---) Like a box of chocolates.... (new KudoZ asking form)
Thread poster: xxxCHENOUMI
xxxCHENOUMI  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Feb 8, 2004

... you never know what you're going to get !

Take a peek at the new KudoZ Question Form.
It features new provisions PLUS your automatically-customized languages (4 in my case) for your language explanation preference.

Grrrrreat !

:clap: :bow: :clap: TOO COOL! :bow: :clap: :clap:

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 11:10
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks! Feb 8, 2004

Any requests or feedback will be appreciated.

Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:10
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Looks great! Feb 8, 2004

Yet, I would somehow direct the asker to the glossaries before being able to post a question.

Sometimes the term IS in the glossaries, but the different translations are not suitable for a particular context...

Just thinking aloud!

Thanks for all the improvements!

Andrea

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 11:10
SITE FOUNDER
Yes - a glossary search step is planned Feb 8, 2004

Andrea Ali wrote:

Yet, I would somehow direct the asker to the glossaries before being able to post a question.

Thanks, Andrea, that is in our plans. Here, for your reference, are notes on changes made and planned:

Changes:
--------------------------
Form appearance
- cleaner design w/o FAQ; wider form
- link to rules
- reordering of category menus, with specific categories first
- easy / pro are explained; easy is now described as "question for language learners"
- for convenience, pulldowns default to own language pairs (can be overriden)

Form function
- defaults to parameters used in last question asked
- double-click submissions are blocked
- automatic assignment of specific category--when missing--based on general category (general "law" category gets mapped to specific "law (general)"
- option to mark question "may offend" (term will not be sent in emails)
- option to mark as having come from translation test/homework

Post-submission
- recommendation on page, and in email, for asker to wait 24 hrs
- more post-submission quick-links: home pages, own previous questions, etc.
- took out post-submission options to search web, search acronyms

Email alerts / confirmation
- now includes specific category (but alerts are not yet mailed according to member-specific categories)
- "may offend" terms are not included in email
- emails indicate when question is coming from a test/homework

Planned:
--------------------------
- search step
- "no points" option
- "survey" option
- limits (& notices leading up to limits)

Sonia Gomes  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 20:40
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I agree with you Andrea Feb 8, 2004

Many times, truly a great many times I have gone to the Glossaries for a term I cannot understand or for an apt word. If the question is unedited, then it is possible to get all the replies which were not chosen and sometimes the answer which has not been "chosen" fits better in my context than the "chosen" answer. Some of explanations are excellent, some are hilarious there are little skirmishes and believe me it makes good reading, there are times I have joined two replies and got just what I have been looking for. The edited replies do not have all this wealth of information, why waste so much time and trouble that all the
"repliers" have taken, could it not be there for everyone to see and make use of.
Just a suggestion, thank you
Regards
Sonia

Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:10
Member (2002)
English to German
Answers to "edited" questions are available Feb 8, 2004

Sonia Gomes wrote:
If the question is unedited, then it is possible to get all the replies which were not chosen and sometimes the answer which has not been "chosen" fits better in my context than the "chosen" answer. (...) The edited replies do not have all this wealth of information, why waste so much time and trouble that all the
"repliers" have taken, could it not be there for everyone to see and make use of.

The difference between questions labelled as "edited" and those labelled as "unedited" is that for edited questions, a glossary entry has been made (i.e. a bilingual dictionary entry with a source and a target term), while for unedited questions, no such entry has been made.

The answers to both types of questions are available by clicking on the source term (unedited questions) or either the source or the target term (edited questions).

So input by answerers never gets lost -- it is in fact one of the KudoZ glossaries' greatest assets.

If you search for a term in the glossaries (via "KudoZ"/"Search glossaries") and if you tick "Member personal glossaries", the entries appearing first are those from personal glossaries that can be uploaded by members and which are therefore not connected to any KudoZ answers. Maybe this is what confused you, Sonia?

It might be a good idea to list KudoZ questions (edited and unedited) above entries from member glossaries (instead of below them as currently done).

Endre

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
New design Feb 8, 2004

I find it a great improvement too, this new design ! The layout (feature ?) is the best improvement, very easy with the language preselected, no more the same boring handlings for every questions, very clear to understand. Felicitations for the designer !

Thanks !

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Thank you Feb 8, 2004

Sonia Gomes wrote:

metimes the answer which has not been "chosen" fits better in my context than the "chosen" answer. Some of explanations are excellent, some are hilarious there are little skirmishes and believe me it makes good reading, there are times I have joined two replies and got just what I have been looking for.

[/quote]

for confirming what I tell them all questions long, that all the answers are useful, not only the chosen one, there is not a "winner" and the others the "losers".

And the comments are great, sure if you will see them 10 years from now, you will have a real insight of "how was the times".

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Swedish
+ ...
Splendid - but do we need "offensive option"? Feb 8, 2004

Hi all!

This new asking form is splendid and makes it a lot easier to ask questions. I really like the memory function which keeps my language combinations in mind.

However I am wondering about the "offend option" - it's almost impossible to judge whether a certain word might be offensive to another translator or not. As this is a worldwide community with a wide range of cultures and different values, there are so many factors which have to be taken into consideration.

Do we really need this option? Let translators be translators and not moralists.

Best regards,
Erik

Erik Hansson
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
E-Mail info@hansson.de
Internet www.hansson.de
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:10
Spanish to English
Yes, it looks good! Feb 8, 2004

Yes it looks fine, but
Any chance of the form for entering terms in our personal glossaries having a similar default language pair?
Sometimes when I very busy with a translation it occurs to me that I should enter a term in the glossary, but when time is at a premium, any thing that would speed up the process would be a boon.

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
the new option Feb 8, 2004

Erik Hansson wrote:

Hi all!

However I am wondering about the "offend option" - it's almost impossible to judge whether a certain word might be offensive to another translator or not.
o we really need this option? Let translators be translators and not moralists.

[/quote]

If that is all it takes to stop the complaining in the forums, I find it worth while. Now they cannot complain anymore, they know in advance this was an offensive term. They should not have looked it up !

Ines Garcia Botana  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
THANKS! Feb 9, 2004

This is great!!

As much explanation as possible should be entered for the term. Consider including: type of document/situation, country and dialect, URLs, translations you are considering, etc.

Better... impossible!

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
As requested, 3 more items on the Improvement Agenda Feb 9, 2004

Henry wrote:

Any requests or feedback will be appreciated.

This was to be a congratulatory post, Henry, but since you're inviting us to give you more feedback, may I make the following suggestions.

1. Boolean search within the KudoZ glossaries

Is it possible to refine our search in the KudoZ glossaries like in Google? By that I mean, to find words or collocated expressions using Google parameters. That feature would significantly increase our chances for quick results.

2. Memory function works for categories also

The best improvement in the KAF is the scroll down menu for categories. So much easier! Besides, the memory function keeps the field one last chose. Two weeks ago, I asked a question in Telecommunications. When I accessed the KAF yesterday, the field was already preselected. I assume this feature would work as a default category or default expertise field for frequent askers in a particular field.

3. Send to KudoZ Colleagues

This instruction seems to be addressed to ProZ members or translators. Many askers aren't. To make it more general, it could read:

[url]Send to KudoZ Section
Send to ProZ Experts
Send to our worldwide translators[/url] etc...

Sorry to bring more items to your plate, hence more headaches... but I'm only responding to your request.

Thank you for your receptiveness.
Sandra:):)

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't be so sure, Inés... (:-)) Feb 9, 2004

Ines Garcia Botana wrote:

Better... impossible!

In my short time as a member, I lost count of the times I've witnessed improvements on Proz. Not only on the overall site but more specifically in the KudoZ section.

The motto seems to be:
Improvement, in Thee we trust.
Once an improvement has been suggested, agreed upon and implemented, satisfaction is never a sure thing.
We, the insatiable ProZians, always want more and ask for more!... And on the receiving end, a very attentive ear, with limitless input capacity, is always willing to give us more.

So, don't be so sure as to the unlikeliness of something better coming up. The KAF will not be the last awesome improvement we'll enjoy and use. I am positive!

Regards.

P.S. Thank you to all who have shared their valuable input, and lent their voices to the praise-singing chorus.

Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 10:10
German to English
Great! Feb 9, 2004

I really like it! I'd like a link back to Search Glossaries, after I've asked a question, please - that's what I'm usually doing when i post a question.

Thank you!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wowwwwwwwwww !! ---) Like a box of chocolates.... (new KudoZ asking form)

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs