Grading answers
Thread poster: Nathalie Altman
Nathalie Altman
Nathalie Altman
Canada
Local time: 03:38
English to French
Feb 13, 2004

I am new to this. How do you grade an answer to your question?

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:38
English to German
Click on "Grade/Decline" button Feb 13, 2004

...in the button bar between your question and the answers you have received.

In the page that opens, you have to select one answer and decide whether you want to make a glossary entry (please adapt the source and target terms to dictionary form).

Endre

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:38
Spanish to English
If you don't receive any suitable answer Feb 13, 2004

If you don't receive any suitable answer you can decline all the answers you received. This did not used to be an option, but it is now and saves a lot of grief.
And personally I sometimes accept an answer that I like but that I don't have enough information to be certain it is the right answer, so I won't enter it into the glossary.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:38
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
How many points to give Feb 15, 2004

Lars Peter Linton has just posted this after grading an answer: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/637881

(He is explaining why he gave 3 points, not 4, for the answer he received.)

ProZ, as you know, recommends these grades:

4: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, reference was provided (or not needed)

3: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, but
... See more
Lars Peter Linton has just posted this after grading an answer: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/637881

(He is explaining why he gave 3 points, not 4, for the answer he received.)

ProZ, as you know, recommends these grades:

4: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, reference was provided (or not needed)

3: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, but reference was lacking

2: Answer was acceptable

1: Answer was somewhat helpful

May I (=Lars Peter Linton) take this opportunity, as moderator of this distinguished collective, to put in a request that we should follow the ProZ guidelines and enter marks accordinly. Too often we see an award of 4 points for merely suggesting or guessing a word, with no references. Admittedly that is more often by our occasional visitors, not regulars. But 4 points should be reserved for a good answer with one or two good references as well - they really help to confirm the meaning and the context, and the extra point is for the extra work undertaken. So 3 points for a good clear answer ... Let us be brave and award 2 for a brief but acceptable answer, and 1 for a helpful guess. Answers on merit, not out of politeness. What do you all think ? Should we keep awarding 4 because of the benefits that brings on ProZ?

I (= Christine Andersen) heartily agree - we shouldn't just give 4 points because someone saved our bacon three minutes before deadline, no matter how grateful we are... but only for really well-documented answers (or inspired ones, if documentation is not posssible).

[Edited at 2004-02-15 13:46]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Grading answers

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »