Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:38
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Feb 13, 2004

There have been several welcome improvements in KudoZ recently, but I think it is a mistake to have a space for comment to the winner followed by a single button "Grade/Enter Gloss" (or something like that). It is still possible to work around this by going back to a different screen to Enter Gloss, but I think it would be better two have two separate buttons side by side in this position. It is often the case that it is more useful just to take one or two words from a question/answer and ente... See more
There have been several welcome improvements in KudoZ recently, but I think it is a mistake to have a space for comment to the winner followed by a single button "Grade/Enter Gloss" (or something like that). It is still possible to work around this by going back to a different screen to Enter Gloss, but I think it would be better two have two separate buttons side by side in this position. It is often the case that it is more useful just to take one or two words from a question/answer and enter them in the glossary rather than a whole sentence, and there are various other small changes the asker might want to make before entering the term in the glossary.Collapse

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 22:38
German to Romanian
+ ...
I don't get your point Feb 13, 2004

The terms can be edited, before entering them into the glossary and there is a checkbox that can be unchecked if you don't want a glossary entry to be created. Why do you need another option to edit the glossary? (Sorry if I missed the point, but it's 1 am and maybe I didn't understand your question).

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Well...er... Feb 13, 2004

I'm probably the one who isn't getting the point. I'll have to explore the whole page more thoroughly next time I want to grade and answer.

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
Are you in the new design? Feb 13, 2004

In the Grade/Decline option, each answer has a Grade box, where you can enter comments to the answerers and below the Grade/Enter gloss button there are two editable fields and a checkbox that you can uncheck if you don't want to enter the term in the glossary. HTH

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:38
Spanish to English
Jack has a point Feb 13, 2004

Not a major problem, but the other day I accidentally put "see below" or some such thing into the glossary. I realised just a second after having done it.

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
The point? Feb 14, 2004

I think the point is that immediately you open the page to grade the answer, you are faced with a space to comment to the winner and immediately below it, a single button for both functions. I think it would be better to have two separate buttons in this position.

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
2 buttons Feb 14, 2004

Jack Doughty wrote:

I think it would be better to have two separate buttons in this position.

Yes, I think so too. Because it happens to me that accidently enter the term in the glossary because the option is on by default, so robbing the answerer to do it himself and win 10 points.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Grading page may be redesigned in the future Feb 14, 2004

ProZ staff are aware that the current design of the grading page is not as self-explaining as one would like.

A review of the current design is on the todo list as far as I know; I'm sure the developers would welcome any specific ideas on how to improve the process of grading and making a glossary entry.

Endre

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
While on the subject of glossaries... Feb 14, 2004

I have been using the glossary a lot today, and it has been very useful not necessarily in providing direct translations but in giving clues to meaning, especially with complex sentences and phrases.

Using the glossary I have two contexts to compare (at least), that/those of the posted questions and my own.

However, it seems a pity that I can't add my context in some way to the glossary lists - the same phrase or expression but in another sentence, kind of text, etc.
... See more
I have been using the glossary a lot today, and it has been very useful not necessarily in providing direct translations but in giving clues to meaning, especially with complex sentences and phrases.

Using the glossary I have two contexts to compare (at least), that/those of the posted questions and my own.

However, it seems a pity that I can't add my context in some way to the glossary lists - the same phrase or expression but in another sentence, kind of text, etc. - unless I actually post a question...

Meaning is often extracted by viewing the same expression in different contexts, so to be able to add, in some way, new contexts for previously submitted expressions would help to improve the glossaries, in the same way that directly posting questions/answers does.
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:38
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Glossary editing will be improved a lot Feb 19, 2004

Endre Both wrote:

ProZ staff are aware that the current design of the grading page is not as self-explaining as one would like.

A review of the current design is on the todo list as far as I know; I'm sure the developers would welcome any specific ideas on how to improve the process of grading and making a glossary entry.

Endre

In addition to what Endre has just said, I can confirm that the whole area of the ProZ.com glossaries will be entirely revamped.

We had a Moderators Meeting last week in Spain, near Barcelona, with about 20 Moderators coming from many countries, and one of the issues discussed (including practical proposals) has been the improvement of the glossaries produced as a by-product of the KudoZ activities.

Details and timing have been not discussed, but the general direction is to improve the functionality and create a large base of glossary editors, as a separate task and a specific phase, after the KudoZ question/answer cycle has been closed.

The KOG (KudoZ Open Glossary) will have a life of its own, separately and even somehow independently from the KudoZ question from which a term has originated (but also linked to it, for context and the many interesting alternatives and related discussions).

The details will be announced by the site when the features will be implemented. It is all very much still at the design table (vapourware) stage right now...

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2004-02-19 12:37]

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
For a temporary measure Feb 20, 2004

is it not possible to remove the default check mark next to the glossary entry option? The fact that that box is checked by default results in automatic entries, especially when the asker is not a member and not very familiar with the system. So the answer goes into the glossary without any editing, and sometimes really absurd entries are created. Example: someone who was not a site member had needed to understand what a "maintained school" was, but formulated the question in a not-so-proper way... See more
is it not possible to remove the default check mark next to the glossary entry option? The fact that that box is checked by default results in automatic entries, especially when the asker is not a member and not very familiar with the system. So the answer goes into the glossary without any editing, and sometimes really absurd entries are created. Example: someone who was not a site member had needed to understand what a "maintained school" was, but formulated the question in a not-so-proper way and asked what "to maintain" meant. The resulting glossary entry now is "English>to maintain = Turkish>the Turkish word for a 'maintained school' ". And this is just one example: there are hundreds of them already in the glossary for which the number of moderators do not suffice to correct... And while we are at it, is any revision being considered for the glossary?

[Edited at 2004-02-20 01:10]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:38
SITE FOUNDER
Good idea, Ailish Feb 20, 2004

Ailish Maher wrote:

However, it seems a pity that I can't add my context in some way to the glossary lists - the same phrase or expression but in another sentence, kind of text, etc. - unless I actually post a question...

Nice thought. Noted.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:38
SITE FOUNDER
Yes, we will change the way grading / glossary entry works Feb 20, 2004

Xola wrote:

is it not possible to remove the default check mark next to the glossary entry option?

This is now a common request. I've turned glossary entry *off* by default.

Thanks, Xola and Jack (and Jerzy, Lesley, Lien and others)!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Grading and entering in glossary now harder to separate

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »