Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:32
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Feb 17, 2004

Would it be possible to add another column to the Kudoz answers ( Confidence Adjusted, Suggested Answers, Answerer) which shows the Kudoz points of the answerers?

People asking questions could know the answerers level of expertise by this. However, this may cause a pre-judgment...

Any ideas?

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:32
French to English
Look at the profile Feb 17, 2004

If you really want to know, or are hesitating between various answers, go look at the answerer's profile, which also breaks points down by areas of expertise.

The fact that someone has a lot of points does NOT mean they are necessarily giving the best answer to a given question. A new member, without many KudoZ, can post equally if not more valid answers than long standing users.
And quite a lot of the questions are, to be honest, relatively straightforward, and people with a
... See more
If you really want to know, or are hesitating between various answers, go look at the answerer's profile, which also breaks points down by areas of expertise.

The fact that someone has a lot of points does NOT mean they are necessarily giving the best answer to a given question. A new member, without many KudoZ, can post equally if not more valid answers than long standing users.
And quite a lot of the questions are, to be honest, relatively straightforward, and people with always-on internet connections (and nothing better, such as actual work!) to do can accumulate a lot of points this way. Doesn't mean they are best placed to answer a question about nuclear fission.
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
not only... Feb 17, 2004

I would also like to see the question asked/answered ratio of the answerer...

Giovanni

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Not a good idea as it doesn't show expertise Feb 17, 2004

Rahi Moosavi wrote:

People asking questions could know the answerers level of expertise by this. However, this may cause a pre-judgment...

Any ideas?

Given that the number of points a person has does not show their expertise (it is only a reflection of how many years they've been answering questions, and how many they've had time to answer), I do not think this is a good idea. If you want to know whether you can trust an answerer or not, click on their profiles and read what they have to say about themselves.

Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
Agree with Charlie Feb 17, 2004

KudoZ points definitely don't translate into expertise. Taking a look at the answerer's profile and native language is a better way to judge an answer's credibility.I am a supporter of scrapping the points system altogether, or at least having the option to ask "no points" questions.
Jennifer

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:32
Member (2003)
German to French
Agree with Nikki and Charlie Feb 17, 2004

Kudoz points don't say very much about the expertise of a fellow translator. You have to check the quality of an answer by yourself in any case, and not rely on the number of points.
I don't think it would be a good feature, since it may lead askers to choose a false or inaccurate answer just because the answerer has "so much points that he/she is certainly a very good one".
My two eurocents.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
questions asked.... Feb 17, 2004

Sylvain Leray wrote:

Kudoz points don't say very much about the expertise of a fellow translator. You have to check the quality of an answer by yourself in any case, and not rely on the number of points.
I don't think it would be a good feature, since it may lead askers to choose a false or inaccurate answer just because the answerer has "so much points that he/she is certainly a very good one".
My two eurocents.

But I think that the number of questions asked is a good indicator of a given translator's expertise.... this is why it would be useful to see the questions asked/answered ratio next or below the respondent's name.

Giovanni

Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
Triple peergrading Feb 17, 2004

Fully agree with Charly Nikki and Sylvain.

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
But you see it ! Feb 17, 2004

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

[ this is why it would be useful to see the questions asked/answered ratio next or below the respondent's name.

Above the question you see the name of the asker and how many questions were asked /were answered.

Rahi Moosavi
Canada
Member (2004)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only the asker Feb 17, 2004

You only see this for the asker not the people responding.

lien wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

[ this is why it would be useful to see the questions asked/answered ratio next or below the respondent's name.

Above the question you see the name of the asker and how many questions were asked /were answered.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
answerer... Feb 17, 2004

I was talking about the answerer... if someone answers one of my questions and this person has asked himself/herself 1023 questions... well, that tells me a lot about this person's knowledge and experience.

Giovanni

Eva Gustavsson
Eva Gustavsson  Identity Verified
German to Swedish
+ ...
Anonymous answers Feb 18, 2004

In many respects, it would be an advantage to show the answers and explanations anonymously until the question has been graded. This would eliminate grading friends before unknown people, choosing male answers before female ones, etc. The answer, explanation and references would then speak for themselves, which is what should be judged. On the other hand, I admit that I tend to choose answers from people who show that they don't answer any question but stick to their topics. And these are not th... See more
In many respects, it would be an advantage to show the answers and explanations anonymously until the question has been graded. This would eliminate grading friends before unknown people, choosing male answers before female ones, etc. The answer, explanation and references would then speak for themselves, which is what should be judged. On the other hand, I admit that I tend to choose answers from people who show that they don't answer any question but stick to their topics. And these are not the ones with the most KudoZ points!

Eva
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thought about it... but... Feb 19, 2004

Dear Rahi,

It is a good idea, and I had considered it. After some thought, I tend to agree with Eva and others that maybe the words should be allowed to stand for themselves so that the prejudging does not occur.

Thanks, though.

Rahi Moosavi
Canada
Member (2004)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree Feb 19, 2004

Dear Henry,

Yes, in light of all the comments posted here, it seems that this may not be a very good idea after all.

Thanks to all

Henry wrote:

Dear Rahi,

It is a good idea, and I had considered it. After some thought, I tend to agree with Eva and others that maybe the words should be allowed to stand for themselves so that the prejudging does not occur.

Thanks, though.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: Column for KudoZ points in answer summary box

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »