Successive non-member KudoZ questions
Thread poster: jsl (X)
jsl (X)
jsl (X)
Local time: 21:25
English to Japanese
+ ...
Mar 16, 2004

Currently, a non-member named SP has been posting KudoZ questions successively: more than 25 J>E questions within 20 minutes. It is too much exceeded. During the successive submission, I (and other members who subscribe the KudoZ notification) had to receive 25+ separate messages for each question, and it was like a storm. I think that there should be some measures, in particular, for non-members.

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:25
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Contact the moderator Mar 16, 2004

Hi Daisuke,
Why don't you raise an attention of the JAP-ENG moderator? At the bottom of each question there is a link "Call to this question", you can alert the moderator at any time and the link to the question is attached automatically.

HTH
Magda

[Edited at 2004-03-16 20:40]

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:25
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Review your email preferences settings... Mar 16, 2004

daisuke wrote:

Currently, a non-member named SP has been posting KudoZ questions successively: more than 25 J>E questions within 20 minutes. It is too much exceeded. During the successive submission, I (and other members who subscribe the KudoZ notification) had to receive 25+ separate messages for each question, and it was like a storm. I think that there should be some measures, in particular, for non-members.

Dear daisuke,
a large number of questions is normal fare in other language pairs, as some of them have extremely high level of KudoZ activity, and the growing popularity of the KudoZ area has called for several email limitation measures.

An excessive traffic on your incoming email box can be limited in several ways:

(1)
Non members can only post questions classified as Easy, and the option to subscribe only to Pro/Easy questions is a first line of action available to you.

(2)
Recently the site has also implemented a new email selective filtering system, based on subjects and specializations.
You can define the fields on which you want to receive notifications, and cut-off any unwanted traffic in other fields.
You can visit the page with your email settings and set them according to your preferences.

(3)
Finally, a third possibility, would be to limit the actual number of questions posted, in particular by non members, and this is also under consideration by the site. It is not yet entirely defined in its details, but a real possibility in the near future.

Regards
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2004-03-16 20:53]

jsl (X)
jsl (X)
Local time: 21:25
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 16, 2004

Thanks, Magda and Gianfranco.

I instead sent a message to the ProZ staff, not to the moderator, but I hope that they will contact the moderator.

I know how to change the settings for e-mail notification, but that's not my point. I know many of non-member submissions, as well as member submissions, are worth while to be answered, but the number--in particular, from the same non-member--should be considered well enough, too. To me, two or three (or even five) would be fin
... See more
Thanks, Magda and Gianfranco.

I instead sent a message to the ProZ staff, not to the moderator, but I hope that they will contact the moderator.

I know how to change the settings for e-mail notification, but that's not my point. I know many of non-member submissions, as well as member submissions, are worth while to be answered, but the number--in particular, from the same non-member--should be considered well enough, too. To me, two or three (or even five) would be fine, but more than 10 successive questions, to say the least, will be too much.
Collapse

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 05:25
English to French
+ ...
ignore the questions Mar 16, 2004

Konnichiwa.
It happens all the time in French-English. Most of us have decided to just ignore the people who abuse the site. Sometimes we tell them they shouldn't accept the jobs they're not qualified for. At this time, the best we can do is ignore the people who sugiru.(sorry, I can't think of an English equivalent.)

gianfranco
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Moderators availability Mar 16, 2004

daisuke wrote:
To me, two or three (or even five) would be fine, but more than 10 successive questions, to say the least, will be too much.

Dear daisuke,

Please feel free to contact the Japanese-English moderator, and point out the questions and this discussion, but please consider that all the ProZ.com moderators are volunteers that cannot possibly be present or intervene instantly, in particular if 25 questions are posted in 20 minutes, as in this case.

Even when they were available all day, an incident like this may happen in the time necessary to prepare a cup of tea...
Thank you in advance for your understanding.

As you can see at my point no.3 above, what you are expressing, as your views on limiting the maximum number of questions by non members, is an option already under advanced stage of consideration, and it may provide the final solution for any similar case.

Regards
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2004-03-16 21:35]

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Sorry, I don't get your point Mar 17, 2004

What do you mean by:

"I (and other members who subscribe the KudoZ notification) had to receive 25+ separate messages for each question,"?

How can it be that you get 25 e-mails per question? What are you talking about?

And, even if this is the case, the one to blame is not the one who sent the question, but it is due to a technical issue with the site.

I remember this happening to myself when just having been suscribed to the site for two days
... See more
What do you mean by:

"I (and other members who subscribe the KudoZ notification) had to receive 25+ separate messages for each question,"?

And, even if this is the case, the one to blame is not the one who sent the question, but it is due to a technical issue with the site.

I remember this happening to myself when just having been suscribed to the site for two days. I received a huge load of nasty e-mails then, though no way I was to blame.

So, be careful with your statements.

And sending 25 questions within 20 minutes: so what?! You are free to just ignore and delete them aren't you?!

Cheers

Steffen

daisuke wrote:

Collapse

gianfranco
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Misunderstanding Mar 17, 2004

Steffen Pollex wrote:
What do you mean by:

Dear Steffen,

daisuke surely meant to say 25+ messages, one for each of the questions posted.

Steffen Pollex wrote:

There are currently no known issues or technical problems with the KudoZ notifications sent.

In the distant past we had a few instances of a problem, when multiple notifications were sent out for the same question. You are probably referring to that problem, a technical glitch that happened, if I'm not mistaken, some time in the early 2002, and never happened again since, and they were not "nasty emails", just repeated notifications...

I believe that daisuke has not experienced anything similar, just a stream of questions from a visitor to the site.

Best regards
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2004-03-17 00:33]

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
you can choose Mar 21, 2004

daisuke wrote:
During the successive submission, I (and other members who subscribe the KudoZ notification) had to receive 25+ separate messages for each question, and it was like a storm.

Look here :
http://www.proz.com/index.php3?sp=bb/new

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Successive non-member KudoZ questions

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »