Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Staff: By default, KudoZ list now shows only questions in your specific categories
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 20:53
SITE FOUNDER
Mar 17, 2004

Update, 5 April: Based on the feedback that follows, the page was changed again. 'All fields' is now the default, but you can personalize that default to 'my fields' or even a specific field (like 'accounting').

An enhancement has just been made to the KudoZ list page. Now, by default, only KudoZ questions in your selected areas of expertise will be shown (provided that you are logged in, and have already entered your areas of expertise for KudoZ notifications.)

To see all terms, not just those in your KudoZ specialties, click "Fields: All" in the upper left.

This functionality is available to all members, not just platinums. Please try it: http://www.proz.com/kudoz

This new function provides another reason to enter your specific areas of KudoZ specialization, if you have not done so already: http://www.proz.com/?sp=ef&show_mode=kudoz
[My ProZ.com > My Settings > Email Preferences > KudoZ Notifications]

On this page, you will notice other options for KudoZ notifications, including the ability to not receive non-member questions, etc.

Direct link Reply with quote

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:53
English to Russian
+ ...
please clarify Mar 17, 2004

Henry,
It is awesome, but why you said:
To see all terms, not just those in your KudoZ specialties, click "Fields: All" in the upper left.

I can not find it in "the upper left" (upper right? probably)
Thank you,
Vladimir

Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:53
Member (2001)
French to English
+ ...
Upper left corner Mar 17, 2004

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:
I can not find it in "the upper left" (upper right? probably)

Hi Vladimir,
Henry is right, it is in the upper left corner, although not on the very top of the page. If you click on the first link that he gave us, you will see a page with many questions. Immediately above the list, in very small print, there is Fields Yours/All
on the left hand side. That is what he is referring to. But you need look at the expanded list to see it.
Hope this helps.
Gayle

jerrie  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:53
German to English
+ ...
Specific Areas of Expertise Mar 17, 2004

Henry wrote:

An enhancement has just been made to the KudoZ list page. Now, by default, only KudoZ questions in your selected areas of expertise will be shown (provided that you are logged in, and have already entered your areas of expertise for KudoZ notifications.)

This functionality is available to all members, not just platinums. Please try it: http://www.proz.com/kudoz

This new function provides another reason to enter your specific areas of KudoZ specialization, if you have not done so already: http://www.proz.com/?sp=ef&show_mode=kudoz

On this page, you will notice other options for KudoZ notifications, including the ability to not receive non-member questions, etc.

As mentioned in a previous forum concerning entering one's specific areas of expertise, I still cannot do this. The white boxes (interest / working / etc) are all over the place.

I use Internet Explorer and Windows ME.
I would like to be able to do this as soon as possible - help please??!!

cebice  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Posted questions cannot be checked if not in my field. Mar 17, 2004

Henry wrote:

I dont\' like this feature. I posted a questions today that was not in the fields that are listed on my profile and I could not see the responses. This works faster for me than dealing with the very slow and annoying AOL service that I have. I didn\'t need to go and check my e-mail to see who responded, but now I have to do that. Can you tell me a short cut to approach open questions?

To see all terms, not just those in your KudoZ specialties, click \\\"Fields: All\\\" in the upper left.

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 20:53
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
To see all subject areas, click 'Fields: all' to upper left of list Mar 18, 2004

I dont' like this feature. I posted a questions today that was not in the fields that are listed on my profile and I could not see the responses. This works faster for me than dealing with the very slow and annoying AOL service that I have. I didn't need to go and check my e-mail to see who responded, but now I have to do that. Can you tell me a short cut to approach open questions?

Thanks, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for.

To see terms in all specialties, click "Fields: All" in the upper left. Let me know if you find this method inconvenient (it should be better than going to your email, I think.)

Ltemes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:53
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
what about specific categories for Kudoz answers? Mar 19, 2004

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering about something. The other day I was awarded points for an answer in the subcategoy: Automotive, within Tech/Engineering, but when I checked on my Kudoz points list on my Profile it just shows up under the "Other" listing. Are the categories going to be expanding or would points awarded in sub-categories directly go into "Other".

Thanks for any advice and I apologize if this is not the right place to ask it!

saludos,
Laura

Lesley Clayton
France
French to English
+ ...
I don't like it either Mar 19, 2004

Could we not have a facility to set our own default setting permanently?

I like browsing through most of the questions when I have time - I pick up all sorts of bits of information from Kudoz questions and answers that are not in my fields.

This new default setting takes more time, whereas under the old system you just needed to run your eye down the field column and and skip those you weren't interested in.

Lesley

Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:53
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...

another vote against Mar 23, 2004

Before, I used to receive email notifications to all questions in my language pair. True, I devoted some more time browsing through the questions and answers, but it was worth it, since we learn from both. As of Friday, I am not receiving *any* notifications, even though there's been many KudoZ questions posted, and many in my language pair and my specialty fields. So, I'm basically forced to claim I am an expert in every field imaginable (something I would hate to do because it's impossible and wouldn't be true) just to be able to see KudoZ questions? With all due respect, I don't think I'm liking this new system.

Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
You can set "fields of interest" instead of "specialty/working fields" Mar 23, 2004

ildiko wrote:
I'm basically forced to claim I am an expert in every field imaginable (something I would hate to do because it's impossible and wouldn't be true) just to be able to see KudoZ questions?

On the page "Profile -> Email preferences -> KudoZ notifications" -> "Edit my areas of expertise", you can choose three sets of fields. Your "specialty" fields appear in your profile, your "working" + "specialty" fields are used for job notifications, and "working" + "specialty" + "interest" fields are used for KudoZ notifications. So if you wish to receive all KudoZ questions, you can tick all fields as "interest" without this having any effect on your profile.

At least that's how I understand the system.

Endre

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:53
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Separate settings for specialization and email notifications Mar 23, 2004

ildiko wrote:
...I'm basically forced to claim I am an expert in every field imaginable (something I would hate to do because it's impossible and wouldn't be true) just to be able to see KudoZ questions...

Hi Ildiko, and all,

there are two separate pages, to setup expertise and email preferences

Please see for yourself, go to the menu
My ProZ.com > My settings

and then select the two separate pages for specialization and KudoZ email preferences:

Fields of expertise

Here you can select General Fields (up to 5), and Specific Fields (up to 10 specialty and up to 30 working)

Email preferences, tab KudoZ Notifications

Here you can select the category (Easy/Pro), the language pairs and all the Subject Areas of your interest.
Your specialties and working fields appear highlighted, but you can select as many other subjects as you like.

They are not related to your working or specialization selection.

Please note that currently many questions are still posted without the correct indication of the Subject Area. It is a new field added to the form to ask questions, and the new system may require some time before all users get used to it and all desired questions land in your inbox, as expected.

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2004-03-23 09:16]

David Moore  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
And another vote against Mar 23, 2004

I don't like it either; fact is I'm too busy, or maybe too lazy, I really don't know, but I liked the old system. And thanks to EB; contribution much appreciated, but frankly, for this I really haven't the time....
Sincerely,
David Moore

cjohnstone  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
do not like this specific category bit either Apr 2, 2004

if you select all fields sure shows all questions but only until you get back to kudoz next time... a hell of a hassle to correct the settings each time... we canhve greator mediocre ideas on "any "field... or else will have to change ou profile settings to "all fields"... please get this bit straight, it is hellish especially as the categories askers give ar not that reliable... this selection of potential answers is just lousy...

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
"save your settings" does not work Apr 2, 2004

cjohnstone wrote:

if you select all fields sure shows all questions but only until you get back to kudoz next time... a hell of a hassle to correct the settings each time...

Yes, that is the problem. Every time I open kudoz I have to make the adjustements, the field, the questions, beginners/pro/all ...

It is too much, *every time* you have to do it. And this "save your settings" does not work at all, it doesn't save anything and worse, you cannot acceed the second page with all the questions, if you change in the second page, it comes back automatically to the first page. Thus I miss questions.

In the old design, you had pro and easy and that was it.You could see everything.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Staff: By default, KudoZ list now shows only questions in your specific categories

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs