Or "Answer to Kudoz question declined"
Thread poster: David Brown
David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:01
Spanish to English
Apr 25, 2004

Like many translators who use this site I enjoy the challenge of being able to answer a translation question. As well as, I hope, helping the asker, I believe,it reinforces my translation skills. On occasions I offer an answer (suggestion) to a word or phrase and It is very satisfying to receive a message "Congratulations etc...." from Proz.com. On the other hand I sometimes offer suggestions a bit off the mark (e.g. see kudoz question 696725)and am always ready to accept this. But, (without others thinking...sour grapes..) what do I do when my answer is declined and another accepted which I think is not quite correct, as in kudoz question 691863.... "Metrotecnia". I was a scientist by profession and have a keen interest in most sciences. The asker accepted "metrology" as the best answer to this term, (and of course declined mine). But nowadays Universities have departments of Metrology and Metrology Technology(Metrotechnology)in the USA and other countries and the Spanish speaking ones are called "Dptos de Metrologia y Metrotecnia", and even Spain has a committe (Hasta entonces subsistira en su funcionamiento la Comisión Nacional de Metrología y metrotecnia con su actual composición y competencias. ...
noticias.juridicas.com/base_datos/Admin/l3-1985.html - 44k.)
This shows that metrotecnia is a branch of metrology and not metrology per se.
Proz.com kudoz questions and more correctly the answers to them help improve my knowledge and understanding of my new chosen career and I only want to return this favour.

Direct link Reply with quote

Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:01
Italian to Danish
+ ...
I guess explanations are consented... Apr 25, 2004

Why don't you just insert this explanation at the concerned KudoZ site? Asker will be informed by mail, and your explanation will help him/her to choose the right word... (I am not sure whether asker will be informed after question has been closed, but then you could mail your explanation to asker).

You won't get the points awarded, but you have still done your best!

nothing
Local time: 06:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, it is only a branch Apr 25, 2004

You are right. The reason for my answer was that there is not a set answer in the UK. Different universities use different terms(e.g measurements technology, metrology technology, etc)and is not normally part of the name of a department (the department would be metrology).
As for your answer been declined, it happens lots of times, specially in the easy questions. Many of the askers are not familiar with the field they are asking about or with one of the languages involved (You can see that many people post lots of different questions from the same document). Sometimes is a question of context, who are the targets of the translation (in which country, what type of people, etc), things that the asker can know but we don't. And I guess sometimes - I hope not oftern- is just a whim of the asker.
Have a nice Sunday and hopefully not hard feelings. And if you feel like blaming anyone, blame the asker.

A fellow scientist

Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
blame the asker Apr 25, 2004

nothing wrote:

And if you feel like blaming anyone, blame the asker.
A fellow scientist

I fully accept it is the asker's choice and I have no intention of attaching blame. I have had more 20 times more answers declined than accepted on proz.com, as I use it as a learning process too. I just wanted to know what others would do in the circumstances, as whether it is metrotechnology or metrology will not really cause any problem to the client.

Dorian Kenleigh
United States
Local time: 01:01
Japanese to English
What about receiving rewards when you think others have done better? Apr 25, 2004

I received Kudos for my first response, but there were two responses after mine that I thought were more concise and accurate. Any way to share the love? Seems to me that if someone hangs around long enough Kudos karma kicks in and everything evens out. Im sure I'l be jilted at some point in the future.

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:01
German to English
Answer accepted that doesn't seem right Apr 25, 2004

David Brown wrote:
what do I do when my answer is declined and another accepted which I think is not quite correct

Hi David,
I certainly don't want to get in the middle of the issue as to which was the best answer because I'm not qualified to do so, but you raise another interesting point - what to do when you think the wrong answer has been entered in the KudoZ glossary. The answer is this: contact the moderator for the language pair. Everyone wants to see the best answer entered in the KudoZ glossary. The moderator may be able to work out a solution that is amicable to both parties involved in the dispute.
Kim

[Edited at 2004-04-25 18:28]

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Let them know Apr 26, 2004

It has happened a few times that an asker has accepted a wrong answer that would compromise their credibility as a translator. In such cases I merely send them a note personally as quick as possible and let them know. And of course, as it has already been said, the Kudoz points will eventually even out.

Points are not the important thing anyway, the important thing is that they send out a good translation, and I have saved a few that way!

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:01
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
live and let live Apr 27, 2004

I know it well: the justified outrage and concern about the wrong answer being eternally held up above your own. Then again, I am guilty of, very occasionally and unintentionally, picking the wrong answer for the simple reason that I did not know any better at the time. Oh, the horror of the realisation, days afterwards, when I stumbled upon the right term almost by accident. It can be excruciating sometimes to pick the right answer when, by definition, you do not know it yourself, except for those enlightened moments when someone suggests the answer that was on the tip of your tongue or in the outlying region of your brain but you could not quite get it. I have learned not to get uptight when my answers are discarded, not even when someone puts a very unfair 'disagree' next to them - which does not happen often, but it still hurts a little nevertheless. Gone are the days that I sent furious emails to moderators, because I've learned to enjoy the virtual perfection of this site and to accept the inevitable fallibility of the humans who dwell here including my own.

Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Remember this topic is "on the lighter side" Apr 27, 2004

Thank you to all have joined in with comments to my posting. I did not have strong feelings on this matter, but was just interested in othe people's point of view. I have been visiting proz.com for about 6 months and remember the first time I disagreed with an answer. The answerer was someone who was probably a moderator, had thousands of points and 10 times more experience than me (in translating not in life), but was extremely angry that someone fairly new to translation and the site should question this answer. I have given back points, changed my mind about an answer and conceded to one, I believe to be better than mine, accepted criticisms from my peers when I have been off track completely, as I believe one is never too old to learn.

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
The asker decides Apr 27, 2004

Hi David

We all have anecdotes and a few bad experiences. I remember that once I saw someone who asked something (a grammar point more than a terminology one). She had a theory and she said it in her question.
She had several answers (8) quoting different arguments and ressources to prove her that she was wrong, and these answers had lots of agrees. But she was convinced of being right and didn't want to listen to those who answered. She declined all the answers. I was angry and asked among moderators what could we do.
I was reminded rule number 3.3
3.3 - Commenting to an asker regarding his/her decision to post a certain question, to grade a certain way, or to make a certain glossary entry, is strictly forbidden. (Glossary entries can be edited after a question is closed without the involvement of an asker. Point decisions can be undone only by joint request to a moderator from both the asker and the person who was awarded the points.)

In other words, if we consider that an answer belongs to whom has answered, the question (and its grading) belongs to the asker.

For Dorian...
You can see with the asker if he would accept to grade another answer (better than yours) and ask a moderator to un-grade.

David, as Henry says, let the asker know, and not only the asker, but also all those who will have a look at the glossary later.

I'd say that if we order our objectives when we answer they should be

1) Help the asker
2) Build the glossary
3) Personal Satisfaction

Claudia

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

There can be more than one correct answer, too Apr 27, 2004

Only the asker knows his context. Let's face it, in a large percentage of cases the few words drawn from the source text don't really give the context, unless the person has asked a string of questions in a row.

In addition, there is another which point affects some language pairs more than others. I am very aware of the fact that my French, for example, is that language of our first French colonials, brought over here in the 17th century. Everyone will agree that our lingo has evolved on a different tangent than that of other French-speaking regions. Culture, geography, history, politics, all come into the mix.
Thus I may cone up with a term that sounds odd (or even unheard of) in Africa, in Europe, in the Caribbean, in Louisiana and so many others, and of course the reverse is also true.
This may not apply to more standardised technical translation which has its own consecrated terms (sorry if that sounds kinda French). But believe me, when it comes to daily living, food, sociology, and a host of others, there can be a world of difference between these variations. I'm sure that's true for many other languages, esp. those languages from colonial nations which transmogrified when transplanted thousands of miles from home, in a different environment and habitat, to mix with the indigenous language of the New World.

Indeed, that's why I love 1) language 2) travel.

Keep up the good work, everybody!

Nancy

Richard Benham  Identity Verified
France
German to English
+ ...
It happens Sep 15, 2004

Askers can be a capricious bunch.

For example, an asker posts a question (OK, it was DE>EN, "Laufwasserkraft") to which there is an obvious, but wrong, answer (hydro-electric energy). I consider, this, decide it must be some special kind of hydro-electric energy, and consult a few references. It turns out that it is hydro-electric energy which just relies on the flow of water in a river, i.e. without a dam. It is less efficient but more environmentally friendly than conventional hydro-electricity. So I post the answer, with references.

Despite having acted quite qucikly, I see that sever others have posted similar, equally correct and well-documented, answers. Fine. Then someone, for reasons unknown (well, reasons that I can't say out loud), posts the obvious but wrong answer, and gets awarded the points.

More recently, someone posted an answer (again in DE>EN) which looked as though it should have an umlaut. So I ask whether an umlaut was intended, and point out that, if whe has trouble doing umlauts, an "e" after the vowel is an alternative. No response; so I answer the question as written, without the umlaut, only to get my answer declined. I mean actually declined, not just passed over in favour of another answer. The accepted answer was based on the assumption that an umlaut was intended, of course. The question itself, with the umlaut, was really too easy to be even acceptable as an "easy" question.

I could go on, but there is no point. We just have to get used to the idea that there are a lot of rude and/or stupid people out there. It is a pity for novice translators that there are so many manifestly wrong glosses in the glossaries, but that is another issue.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Or "Answer to Kudoz question declined"

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs