Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Help! (Mod: KudoZ search yields insufficient results)
Thread poster: Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:26
Spanish to English
May 9, 2004

I have come to rely heavily on the kudoz glossaries and now they are not working properly. I first noticed that I was not getting the edited and unedited kudoz questions, even though I had ticked the boxes. Today however I wanted to see a question that a colleague had posted yesterday, so I put the word into the search and nothing came up. I could always find unmarked questions this way in the past. It this a bug or is there a reason for this? Can I do anything to get the system to work as it us... See more
I have come to rely heavily on the kudoz glossaries and now they are not working properly. I first noticed that I was not getting the edited and unedited kudoz questions, even though I had ticked the boxes. Today however I wanted to see a question that a colleague had posted yesterday, so I put the word into the search and nothing came up. I could always find unmarked questions this way in the past. It this a bug or is there a reason for this? Can I do anything to get the system to work as it used to work?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-05-09 15:21]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-05-09 19:22]
Collapse

Alejandra Villarroel
Alejandra Villarroel  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't press ENTER May 9, 2004

I had the same problem in the past and it all turned down to (not)pressing ENTER. Try with the mouse and the SEARCH box instead.

Good Luck!

Lesley Clarke wrote:

I have come to rely heavily on the kudoz glossaries and now they are not working properly. I first noticed that I was not getting the edited and unedited kudoz questions, even though I had ticked the boxes. Today however I wanted to see a question that a colleague had posted yesterday, so I put the word into the search and nothing came up. I could always find unmarked questions this way in the past. It this a bug or is there a reason for this? Can I do anything to get the system to work as it used to work?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-05-09 15:21]

Lesley Clarke
Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Misleading title, mea culpa May 9, 2004

Thanks Alejandra but, unfortunately because I didn't entitle my problem properly, someone else put the wrong title to it.

I do get results, just not all the results, and it won't give me the kudoz questions together with the glossaries, and I'm sure it is not giving me all the information that is there.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:26
English to German
+ ...
I edited your title May 9, 2004

Hi Lesley,
Lesley Clarke wrote:

Thanks Alejandra but, unfortunately because I didn't entitle my problem properly, someone else put the wrong title to it.

Not someone else - I did; unfortunately, "Help!" wasn't really leading into any direction. I hope it reflects the issue better now - if not, don't hesitate to edit it (as long as you don't put it back to the original... ).

More to the point, could you quote a couple of examples where you note this kind of behaviour?

Best regards, Ralf

Lesley Clarke
Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your interest Ralf May 9, 2004

I certainly wasn't criticising you for trying put a better title, I don't know what I was thinking of, forgetting to title like that. And yes, the title you have given it now sums up my problem perfectly.

Well first of all it seems to happen all the time, I just put a word in a minute ago "revisor" looking for the English translation and this time it gave me members glossaries and edited kudoz, but asked my to click again on the bottom to get the unedited answers, even though I had
... See more
I certainly wasn't criticising you for trying put a better title, I don't know what I was thinking of, forgetting to title like that. And yes, the title you have given it now sums up my problem perfectly.

Well first of all it seems to happen all the time, I just put a word in a minute ago "revisor" looking for the English translation and this time it gave me members glossaries and edited kudoz, but asked my to click again on the bottom to get the unedited answers, even though I had the box clicked.

The particular word I couldn't find yesterday was "in-scope", even though it is a question that was asked the day before yesterday.

All help gratefully received.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... May 9, 2004

Hi Lesley,
I'm moving the thread to the KudoZ forum.

This is not the solution to your query, but have you tried the Search Glossaries function?

Best regards, Ralf

PS I have cross-posted this in the moderator forum, and have asked the ProZ.com team to look into this.

[Edited at 2004-05-09 21:44]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Lesley, May 9, 2004

Try performing search not from the drop-down menus, but from the KudoZ list page. This search seems to work better.

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
example May 9, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:
could you quote a couple of examples where you note this kind of behaviour?

Hi all,
I've been having this same problem and didn't have the time to post about it.
Here's one example. If I look for "esclusa de navegación", from this link: http://www.proz.com/?sp=mt, without setting any languages, no results come up; but if I do a Google search for "esclusa de navegación" Proz, I get this link:
http://www.proz.com/?sp=k_h&disc=1&pair=esl_eng&eid_s=15054
-
So now I'm doing my searches this way, Google+Proz
Thanks for looking into it,
Andrea

Lesley Clarke
Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone May 10, 2004

Thanks everyone and particular thanks to Andrea,that is a great tip.

Does the staff know why this is happening?
Can anything be done about it?

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
ProZ.com staff have been notified May 10, 2004

Hi Lesley,
As I mentioned in my post yesterday, I have alerted ProZ.com staff...

Does the staff know why this is happening?

I'm sure they will find out, but I guess we should give them a bit of time to look into it, don't you think?

Can anything be done about it?

I'm sure, but... see above.

Best regards, Ralf

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 14:26
SITE STAFF
One language required for KudoZ glossary search May 10, 2004

Lesley et al,

The problems you are having are related to changes I recently made to the glossary search page. The KudoZ glossary is enormous, and searches had been slowing down the entire site, so I made a few changes that unfortunately weren't documented thoroughly enough.

First, when searching the glossaries for KudoZ terms, at least a source or a target language is required.

Secondly, KudoZ search results will be returned only for each KudoZ question or
... See more
Lesley et al,

The problems you are having are related to changes I recently made to the glossary search page. The KudoZ glossary is enormous, and searches had been slowing down the entire site, so I made a few changes that unfortunately weren't documented thoroughly enough.

First, when searching the glossaries for KudoZ terms, at least a source or a target language is required.

Secondly, KudoZ search results will be returned only for each KudoZ question or answer that begins with the term you search for. For technical reasons, this is much, much faster than searching for your term anywhere within the KudoZ question. If the first results are not sufficient, click "Search for KudoZ containing your term" at the bottom of the page. A second, slower search will be performed that will match your term anywhere within a KudoZ question or answer.

I have added notes about this to the search page, and to the KudoZ FAQ.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jason
Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jason May 10, 2004

Thanks for the explanation,Jason. Now that I know why this change was made, it will be easier to deal with it.
Regards
Lesley

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
:-( May 10, 2004

Thanks for the explanation, Jason. My searches will take much more time now, though, because I always left the languages blank in order to get results in both directions or in similar languages that might shed some light on my query. I'm aware that I may be asking too much, but I already found the search function limited, and wished for a fuzzy search and a wildcard search... Perhaps you can take this into account when there are more resources?
Thanks,
Andrea

Lesley Clarke
Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
One last comment May 12, 2004

For some reason, even doing the search in two stages, it just doesn't give the selection of results that it did before. Partly because we can not now see the two way (in my case Spanish-English and English Spanish) that we had before, which is a serious loss.

This is going to result in a lot more questions being made.
Regards
Lesley

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Bidirectional search? May 13, 2004

Hi Lesley,
Partly because we can not now see the two way (in my case Spanish-English and English Spanish) that we had before, which is a serious loss.

Just to make sure you noticed the Bidirectional search check box...?

Best, Ralf

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! (Mod: KudoZ search yields insufficient results)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »