Mobile menu

Suggestion - brainstorming board
Thread poster: Jabberwock

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:19
Member (2004)
English to Polish
May 20, 2004

What I would have in mind would be a one page for each language pair, where everyone could post simple messages, which would be shown one by one chronologically (like a bulletin board), with the oldest posts cleared after few hours. The posts might be marked with the link (or name) of the discussed question (and ideally, with an option to filter by that value, or by Asker for discussion spanning several questions on the same text), but it would not be obligatory.

What I really have in mind:
- Some KudoZ questions spark discussions and analyses which really cannot (and should not) be contained within the KudoZ question itself. They also rarely fit the forums
- The Asker could give broader context for several questions at once
- It could keep more personal remarks (disguised as agrees or disagrees) off the question pages
- Translators might be able to veer off-topic or into more general area, which, although not so relevant to the question, might still be useful for other translators (and for the Asker too)
- Links to pages which concern the subject but do not contain the answers to the question might be freely exchanged
- People might discuss some issues concerning questions BEFORE any answer is given (as "ask the asker" is not really a place for that), saving the Asker from viewing answers which might be misleading. This might also shift the competitive focus of KudoZ toward teamwork. Of course, answerers stealing answers from the board would be sho... rebuked
- While the rules concerning the relevancy would not be as strict as for KudoZ, the rules of conduct would be even _stricter_ - we don't want flying tempers, but friendly teamwork. No ads, abuse, politics, etc. Personal pleasantries, on the other hand, would be welcome
- The danger of long lists of "I am correct!" "No, I am correct!" is very real, but everyone on the board would be there by their choice (and well warned). Specifically, all referals from a KudoZ question to specific discussion would be frowned upon - the Asker should rather get the result of the work in form of the accurate answer. Only in some cases this would be allowed (i.e. a discussion which would really interest the Asker).

I am aware that it might not work well, but on the other hand, it might. As the content would be volatile, damage should be minimal.

What do you think?

Direct link Reply with quote
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 14:19
A chat option has been proposed before... May 21, 2004

Thanks, Jabberwock.

Having KudoZ chat boxes has been suggested before. This sounds similar. I would be interested to hear from more people.

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:19
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

Definitely worth discussing in detail ! May 21, 2004

All comments furthering a good translation is a good thing.

My gut reaction is that 'chatting' in this area should be an integrated part of the KudoZ system, NOT a separat function (whatever it is called).
I would rejoice if we all had the option of 'chatting' inside the agree/disagree field, which today has a very restrained format (one has to emigrate to 'Add comments' in order to give a second or third comment)

One of the unique values of the KOG is that you can look into the 'birth' of the answer. Increasing the content of that birth is definitely worth doing.

So I'm all for a chat function within the KudoZ system.

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
( moderator, deu>swe, Swedish)
Träsk 201
SE-872 97 Skog
Tel:+46-612-54112 Fax:+46-612-54181 Mobile:+46-70-5769797

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion - brainstorming board

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs