Grading Kudoz answers, is it a must? (Staff: 'yes')
Thread poster: linadia
linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
Jun 5, 2004

Hi all,

Some people ask questions through Kudoz and don't grade them for a long time or maybe never.

I think it would be fair to people who offered their help if the asker chose the best answer.

I think it should be among Kudoz rules that the asker should choose a best answer within a certain period of time.

What do you think?

Regards

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-06-05 11:19]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:39
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Yes, it is Jun 5, 2004

linadia wrote:
I think it should be among Kudoz rules that the asker should choose a best answer within a certain period of time.

Dear linadia,

In the bottom of each page with KudoZ question there is a link to Kudoz rules. And here is an excerpt from these rules:

2. Grading KudoZ questions

2.1 - Askers are required to provide feedback to answerers by selecting the answer they find most helpful. (This is called "grading.") It is possible to decline all answers.

2.2 - It is recommended that askers allow 24 hours to pass before grading. This allows professionals in various time zones time ample time to prepare well-researched answers.

http://www.proz.com/kudozrules

The answers that received at least two 'agrees' may be graded automatically by the robot after 14 days.

If in your language pairs there are questions that remain ungraded for a long period of time, please contact the moderator. If there is no moderator in this pair, please contact any moderator who knows the language(s) in question. The appropriate link may be always found in the bottom of the page.

[Edited at 2004-06-05 10:58]

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:39
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Technical suggestion Jun 5, 2004

It might be useful to see "outstanding" questions for an answerer (for example answers which are older than two weeks). This would help the moderators (or rather anyone willing and capable) to agree with them in order to invoke automated robot response.

Of course, the agrees should be as confident as for normal questions, not as a form of courtesy toward the answerer.

[Edited at 2004-06-05 13:22]

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:39
German to English
+ ...
Natalie Jun 7, 2004

Then why is there a "close without grading" option??

linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes there are open questions in my pair for ages! Jun 8, 2004

Thank you all for your answers and comments.

It's the first time I hear about the automated grading which is a good idea.

Some questions in my pair have been given several good possible translations and no one to grade them.

Regards

nadia

linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think this is when the asker rejects all answers Jun 8, 2004

Trudy Peters wrote:

Then why is there a "close without grading" option??

Hi Trudy,

I believe this option is for declining all answers.

I had a problem once choosing a best answer to a question I asked on Kudoz and I thought two answers were good (like synonyms), but the moderator explained that I should choose one winning answer only.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Grading Kudoz answers, is it a must? (Staff: 'yes')

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »