Mobile menu

Asking questions - language pairs
Thread poster: jgal

jgal  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:55
French to English
+ ...
Jun 10, 2004

Apparently we can only ask Kudoz questions relating to our own language pairs. I find it rather strange as what if I come across a quote in a language I don't speak in a job I'm translating, and want to know what it means in one of my own languages?

It would seem that the only solution currently is to log out and post as a non-member! This doesn't seem very logical... does anyone know why this is the case?

Direct link Reply with quote

Amy Taylor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:55
Member (2002)
Italian to English
Try clicking "more languages" Jun 10, 2004

Hi Julia,

I just looked, and when asking a question, under the drop down box containing my language pairs are the words "more languages" in a small font. Clicking there altered the page so I can select both target and source from the complete list.

This applies to the "new" view on the site - perhaps the previous GUI doesn't feature this option?

Amy Taylor

jgal  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Duh! Jun 10, 2004

Thanks Amy. I missed that.

*shrinks into hole in embarrassment*

Florence B  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Red link "more languages" Jun 10, 2004

There is a red link "more languages" just under the dropdown list of your language pairs.
Having all the pairs displayed at first would make the page longer to load.
Florence "Oddie"

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It's a really great feature too! Jun 11, 2004

That's what I like about Kudoz - there's help when I get out to my limits, and I can expand and check up on what I know.

I have a regular job proof reading texts written in English by non-native speakers, some Dutch. With my smatterings of other languages, bilingual websites, or by contacting the author where possible, we iron out most of the problems. But I do sometimes run into technical terms in Dutch that we can't work out, and here KudoZ has provided some brilliant clues.

It may just be a case where the Dutch have a word for it, and the rest of us have a long explanation, but that kind of thing is what makes translating fun. (And it keeps the machines in their place!)

Thanks everyone!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Asking questions - language pairs

Advanced search

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs