Thread poster: Valentini Mellas
Valentini Mellas
Valentini Mellas  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:29
English to Greek
+ ...
Jun 14, 2004

Do people from other sites have the ability to lookup kudoz glossaries before submitting their question through a form from their originating site? ... We get a lot of questions on usual phrases (Hi, I love you, Bye etc) in the Greek language pair and I am not sure whether the people who submit these questions know or have the ability to browse through the Kudoz glossaries. I am asking because I would feel bad squashing or not answering a question when someone might not be able to browse the glo... See more
Do people from other sites have the ability to lookup kudoz glossaries before submitting their question through a form from their originating site? ... We get a lot of questions on usual phrases (Hi, I love you, Bye etc) in the Greek language pair and I am not sure whether the people who submit these questions know or have the ability to browse through the Kudoz glossaries. I am asking because I would feel bad squashing or not answering a question when someone might not be able to browse the glossaries. It would be harsh to do what I saw happen a few minutes ago when a question of "I love you" was squashed with the reason "Browse the kudoz glossaries" when the person might not be able to do so ... Any clarifications?

Valentini
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 12:29
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Yes, they should Jun 14, 2004

Hi Valentini

I just did a test, and when you ask from another site you have a form (slightly different from the KudoZ form), and when you send it you're brought here, and have to fill the KudoZ form.
First you're asked to log in whether you already have a profile in ProZ.
And then you can read:
KudoZ Terms Help: Question Posting Form
Ask the pros for help ... See more
Hi Valentini

I just did a test, and when you ask from another site you have a form (slightly different from the KudoZ form), and when you send it you're brought here, and have to fill the KudoZ form.
And then you can read:
Ask the pros for help with terms and translations

Note: Before using, please read the KudoZ Rules and KudoZ FAQ

The first point in KudoZ Rules is:
Use KudoZ to ask for a translation only after you have consulted dictionaries, the Internet and the ProZ.com glossaries (KudoZ >Search Glossaries in the menu). If you have found translations elsewhere but still want to ask, include an explanation of what you have found--and why you are asking anyway--with your question

This should answer your question.

Claudia
Collapse

Valentini Mellas
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes but .. Jun 14, 2004

I was actually referring to people from like www.dictionary.com that they have a form I think like the one I see on http://www.proz.com/?sp=info/affil&ssp=affil&sssp=kudoz_affiliates
where they do not even know they can search the KudoZ glossaries...
Claudia Iglesias wrote:

Hi Valentini

And then you can read:
Ask the pros for help with terms and translations

Note: Before using, please read the KudoZ Rules and KudoZ FAQ

The first point in KudoZ Rules is:
Use KudoZ to ask for a translation only after you have consulted dictionaries, the Internet and the ProZ.com glossaries (KudoZ >Search Glossaries in the menu). If you have found translations elsewhere but still want to ask, include an explanation of what you have found--and why you are asking anyway--with your question

This should answer your question.

Claudia

CHENOUMI (X)
CHENOUMI (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Way too harsh on the poor askers ! Jun 14, 2004

IMHO, the new ProZ users are being held to a much higher standard. How realistic is it to expect novice users of ProZ.com, language neophytes, to be proficient in the use of ProZ glossaries when regular members aren't and don't preach by example? Countless times we see the same question being asked over and over again, and askers -who often are members- did not look into the glossaries.

The truth is it's easier (rather more ... See more
IMHO, the new ProZ users are being held to a much higher standard. How realistic is it to expect novice users of ProZ.com, language neophytes, to be proficient in the use of ProZ glossaries when regular members aren't and don't preach by example? Countless times we see the same question being asked over and over again, and askers -who often are members- did not look into the glossaries.

The truth is it's easier (rather more convenient) to ask a question than to consult the glossaries. Consider that we can get an answer to a KudoZ question in less than 5 minutes! Consulting the glossaries is a luxury one can afford when dealing with non-rush jobs. Even so, it can be time consuming mostly because it's not a refined search. More importantly, it does not allow searching for *collocated* terms and expressions. I once suggested to incorporate Boolean features (such as those used in Google search) in order to refine, optimize and speed up the process.

I received the following answer recently.

Your KudoZ answer was chosen as most helpful. Details:
---------------------------------------------
Term: I do not know
Languages: English > Haitian-Creole
Your answer: mwen pa konnen

Asker feedback:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have been trying to grade this answer for days and it has not worked. I appreciate the response. It was very helpful. I'd also appreciate if I no longer receive reminders to grade as I have tried almost daily since receiving the response. Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Imagine, if the poor asker was unable to grade for several days..., can we realistically expect him to be able to 1) "find" the KudoZ menu; 2) scroll down through it; 3) click on 'Glossaries'; 4) type in "term" wanted; 5) select by scrolling down again __among dozens of languages__ the 'pair' he wants (if he has any clue); 6) decide whether it's for "open" or "closed" questions; and finally 7) make additional "choices" ?

I was going to answer him in a PSPG - acronym that I have coined when adding a post-grading note - to clarify that the reminders were automatic ProZ notifications and that I had nothing to do with them. I changed my mind. If I have to clarify/justify/demystify every time someone has an erroneous view or a misconception of any sort, I'll become crazy...

[Edited at 2004-06-15 00:58]
Collapse

Monique Laville
Monique Laville  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:29
Italian to French
+ ...
I agree Jun 14, 2004

with you Sandra, it is especially time consuming for those who do not have a speed internet connexion, or problems in connecting. I usually check before asking a question but I can understand that when you are in a hurry or when you are not familiar with the procedure, it is easier to ask the question without checking.

"Countless times we see the same question being asked over and over again, and askers -who often are members- did not look into the glossaries."
I do not know i
... See more
with you Sandra, it is especially time consuming for those who do not have a speed internet connexion, or problems in connecting. I usually check before asking a question but I can understand that when you are in a hurry or when you are not familiar with the procedure, it is easier to ask the question without checking.

"Countless times we see the same question being asked over and over again, and askers -who often are members- did not look into the glossaries."
I do not know if an automatic check could be possible. For example, someone asks for the translation of topic in italian or another language. Before the question is listed in Kudoz an automatic check could be made so that the asker immediately gets the answer in case it can be found in Kudoz glossaries. This would save repeated questions of terms already existing in the Kudoz glossaries.

I know my english is not perfect, but I hope you understand what I mean.
Collapse

Valentini Mellas
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And for submissions from other sites? Im still a bit confused :) Jun 14, 2004

I agree with all of you but what about people who are on a totally different site which has a form submission from ProZ so that they can ask a term? Do they also have access or the ability to first look at the KudoZ glossaries or to search the glossaries?

Valentini

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 12:29
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Yes, Valentini Jun 14, 2004

Each site will have its own form, but at some point you'll be taken to ProZ and then you'll see the KudoZ form, with links to rules and explanations to find the glossaries.

Here you can see one, test it. Don't forget to log out first.
http://www.betranslated.com/word-translation.php

Claudia

CHENOUMI (X)
CHENOUMI (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Getting the record straight. Jun 22, 2004

CHENOUMI wrote:

Consider that we can get an answer to a KudoZ question in less than 5 minutes!

I take that back.
As of June 18, 2004, an asker - if lucky, and if history repeats itself - can receive the correct answer with the appropriate peer-grading in 0 minute. Please refer to www.proz.com/topic/22165.

[Edited at 2004-06-25 19:33]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questions from outside sites ...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »