Mobile menu

Off topic: Double Record: Answerer and Peer-Grader Tied in a 0-minute Timeline with a Strange Belgian Twist !
Thread poster: xxxCHENOUMI
xxxCHENOUMI  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Jun 19, 2004

Bonjour!

This morning a double record has been set in the KudoZ section of ProZ.com. I am writing about it only because of some striking coincidences.

1) I was working on a translation. I *usually* turn down my mail notification to avoid distractions. Somehow I forgot, and I received an alert for this French monolingual question http://www.proz.com/kudoz/741755.

2) *Contrary* to my good habits, this time, I decided not to look for back-up references. As a result, the system recorded a 0-minute time for my response.

3) The asker, Martine, is Belgian currently living in Belgium.

4) The answerer -- an apparent missing or broken link -- has produced a 0-minute answer. Lives in the United States.

5) The peer-grader, Bernadette, is Belgian currently living in Belgium. Has provided a 0-minute INSTANT 'agree'.

6) When Bernadette sent me her 'agree' - during the minisecond that I had hit on 'Submit' - I felt a strange tickling sensation going down my spine. I didn't know at the time who the agreer was.

7) Last but not least: In Martine's context, there was the word "événement" (event). In my added note, I drew Martine's attention on the fact that "événement" was used in the English sense of the term and as a false cognate. In my opinion therefore, it could not be used lightly since it means an *exceptional fact*, an *unusual occurrence*. I'm reminded of what my Belgian professor used to say about words misused and abused in French:
You don't use "événement" in French unless it is really about a remarkable **event**...

Growing up, my sister Carla and I knew that our great grandfather was French Canadian. As I reflect on the truly eventful facts here, I can't help asking:

Who knows? Who really knows ?

:):);):):):D

[Edited at 2004-06-19 06:36]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxsarahl
Local time: 13:46
English to French
+ ...
Fan club Jun 19, 2004

[quote]CHENOUMI wrote:

You don't use "événement" in French unless it is really about a remarkable **event**...

You're right, Yves is a wonderful teacher, I'll never forget what he taught me. Should we start a fan club?

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:16
English to Tamil
+ ...
Really a double record, Sandra Jun 19, 2004

I had a look at the question referred to in your posting. Just typing "audit comme LEDIT, DUDIT ETC," marking the confidence level and pressing the submit button takes a few seconds, say 20? Add to this the time for peer agree requiring the reading and pressing the relevant button. All this in 0 minutes is really remarkable. I feel that the marked time always refers to the elapsed time and till the first 60 seconds, the counter will remain at 0. No milli-seconds of course. But even then I understand and share your excitement.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Milli-Embarrassment ! Jun 19, 2004

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

No milli-seconds of course. But even then I understand and share your excitement.

No excitement, Narasimhan. Sheer embarrassment!:oops: I don't know what I was thinking.:oops::oops: I meant *a fraction of a second*, a minisecond, of course ! Was this blunder an effect of the Belgian spell?

I had a look at the question referred to in your posting. Just typing "audit comme LEDIT, DUDIT ETC," marking the confidence level and pressing the submit button takes a few seconds, say 20? Add to this the time for peer agree requiring the reading and pressing the relevant button. All this in 0 minutes is really remarkable.

Reenactment

I just reenacted sending my response. It was shy of 28 seconds. Ironically, typing the 4 words was the fastest part and a piece of cake. The most significant delay was between opening the page, scrolling down to mark confidence level. But not that long though.

P.S. Sarah, count me in the Fan club. But of course, we'd have to include some remarkable French teachers as well.

Abdellatif Bouhid  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:46
English to French
+ ...
Remarquable Indeed Jun 19, 2004

And since both Chenoumi and Sarah are now Charter founders of the fan club, membership sounds really desirable.

Cheers!

abdellatif

xxxsarahl
Local time: 13:46
English to French
+ ...
who did you have in mind? Jun 19, 2004

CHENOUMI wrote:

P.S. Sarah, count me in the Fan club. But of course, we'd have to include some remarkable French teachers as well.

the only remarkable T&I teachers I had were of the Wallon persuasion.

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did you know the new crew? Jun 19, 2004

sarahl wrote:

the only remarkable T&I teachers I had were of the Wallon persuasion.

I had Daniel and Marie-Claire for T&I F. Both French pur-sang.:)

I recently learned that Daniel will no longer teach. What a pity!

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Technical Expertise Needed Jun 19, 2004

In the wake of the events occurred on Friday, June 18, 2004, I would like to build a mini glossary.

Is there a name for people who set a record for the first time?
What's the name for two people who set a record at the same time?
How do you call a record that is casually set, that is, on a non-professional basis?
If two people set a groundbreaking record, what are they called?

Bernadette and I did not decide Friday that we would be setting a 30-second or so record on ProZ. In that case, is there a name for the seemingly "random" nature of the record?

I believe Bernadette sent me her 'agree' at 1/4 of a second not even 1/2 of a second.

What's a 1/2 second called?
What's the name for a 1/4 second, if any?

P.S. I came across a glossary on the web for seconds will all the zillions. It gave me a headache!

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:16
English to Tamil
+ ...
There are records and records Jun 20, 2004

Just consider. I booked one berth from New Delhi to Chennai (both are Indian cities). As I was traveling in the train, I picked up conversation from a fellow passenger, who boarded the train at a wayside station (Agra). He said that I was traveling in the berth, which he had booked earlier for his wife but then got it cancelled. We just compared the tickets. He had cancelled the berth at Agra (some 200 km from New Delhi) at 18.00 hours, whereas I had booked my berth on the same day at 18.01 hours. Indian Railways are using computerized booking system covering the entire country. The centralized system allotted the cancelled berth to me on a random basis.

You may ask, where is the record coming in here? I am sure such things are happening all the time. But the thing was the concerned people met and took cognizance of the fact and that both transactions took place within minutes of each other. This is actually a coincidence.

I agree that in your case it is a sort of record that has not been planned. Call it as a freak record?

Regards,
N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2004-06-20 08:17]

xxxntouzet  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:46
English to French
+ ...
More of the same... Jun 20, 2004

A friend of mine was driving on the Paris périphérique, or should I say 'flying', as two separate automatic speed detectors caught here, about 5 miles apart, at exactly the same time (5.44 AM on a Sunday morning).
Is that possible?

Calculators out, everyone. I was not able to solve that one.
(But can prove it's a true story, as I was the recipient of the two speed tickets, I had sold my car to her just a few days before!!!)

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A matter of coincidence? Jun 20, 2004

Nice to see you back, Nadine!:)

Some people don't believe in "coincidences". Others believe them to have a purpose. Why didn't I turn down my Yahoo and my Outlook mail notification? Why didn't I check regular sources, as I used to do in such cases, even when I am as perfectly sure? I was supposed to be translating not KudoZing. Why was Bernadette precisely there at that very moment to capture the *second*? She is not a regular of the French monolingual.

Everything I did in the early hours of that morning was unusual, atypical. Upon notification of the mail alert, I went directly to the Translation Q Page instead of checking my mailbox. I have never, ever, been so quick in responding. To me a coincidence stops being a "coincidence" after a number of clues have been adding up. Can they be dismissed as mere coincidence?

0 minute: 0 from 0 Zero out of zero? 0 + 0? 0 - 0? A mathematical challenge? We know it was a matter of seconds, but still...
So, was it mere coincidence or fate?

[Edited at 2004-06-20 22:24]

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:46
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
The mistery of the fastest second-hand car in the world solved Jun 22, 2004

Nadine Touzet wrote:

A friend of mine was driving on the Paris périphérique, or should I say 'flying', as two separate automatic speed detectors caught here, about 5 miles apart, at exactly the same time (5.44 AM on a Sunday morning).
Is that possible?

Dear Nadine,
I may be able to offer a reasonable explanation for your misteriously fast car...

A car going at 120 Km/h takes 30 seconds to cover 1 Km.
The two speed cameras probably had their internal clock set at slightly different times, let's say with 4 minutes of difference between them.

Suppose your friend passed the first clock at 5.44 exactly at a speed of 120 Km/h, she would reach the second camera, after 5 miles (about 8 Km) in about 4 minutes, and mark the same time on the picture. If the distance was 5 Km (in France use Km, not miles) it would be sufficient a difference of 2'30", give or take a few seconds...

At 140 Km/h (fast but not an impossible speed, at 5.44am on Sunday and probably in a deserted road) you cover 1 Km in 25.7 seconds, and 5 Km in 2'8"
If the first clock is even only 1 minute early (compared to the real time) and the second clock is about 1 minute late compared the real time, both events are not impossible, they will have a difference of about 2 minutes and your friend passed them when they were marking the same time...

Gianfranco

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Double Record: Answerer and Peer-Grader Tied in a 0-minute Timeline with a Strange Belgian Twist !

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs