Disappearing KudoZ questions
Thread poster: Krokodil
Krokodil
Germany
Local time: 00:14
German to English
+ ...
Jul 1, 2004

Last week I provided an answer to somebody's (perfectly serious) question in the English-German Pro section.

A little later I wanted to add to my answer some extra information which I had found out in the meantime, but was a little annoyed to discover that the question had disappeared.

Is it possible for askers of questions to suppress their own questions?

Direct link Reply with quote

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:14
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Question has been deleted by a moderator Jul 1, 2004

Dear Krokodil,

I've tracked down the question to which you are referring to, it was for the word 'holland' (sic, lower case).
It was forumulated in Dutch, so I cannot discuss the merit of the decision, but it has been deleted by a moderator with the following reason: "nonsense"

I'm sorry if you have spent time in answering it, but we need to think of all questions as a linguistic resource, a glossary building exercise, a searchable archive, and having in it nonsense, or pranks, or questions that add no real linguistic value decreseas the quality of the KOG (KudoZ Open Glossary).

The KudoZ moderators exercise their judgement and work at keeping these disturbances within an acceptable limit.
Also, normally they try to not remove questions when they have already received answers, but in some cases they do it anyway.

Gianfranco
ProZ.com Team

Krokodil
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, not the "holland" question .... Jul 1, 2004

Hello Gianfranco,

No, the question referring to "holland" wasn't the one I meant (I don't even know this one!)

It was in the English-German Pro section and concerned the word "play" used in a geological sense in connection with oil and gas reservoirs. It was asked about two weeks ago and hasn't been graded. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I can't find it anywhere under "Search glossaries".

Regards,
Robin (Croc)

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:14
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
I've found it Jul 1, 2004

Dear Robin,

I've found it. The question is the following:
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/740913
and it is still open, ungraded and visible.

You may not find it because it has been asked on the 17th June. If you restrict your search, in the KudoZ list, using the Advanced Search / Settings and specify the language pair and the keyword "play", you will find it.
I have just done this search and the question has appeared.

Alternatively, you can find it in the KudoZ tab, in your profile, where all the questions asked and answered by you are listed.

Gianfranco
ProZ.com Team

PS: in Advanced Search, you can also select 'My answers' and you will have a list of all questions to which you have answered.

Krokodil
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Missing" question Jul 1, 2004

Hello Gianfranco,

Thanks for your help.

Maybe the reason why I couldn't find the question any more is that the word "play" originally appeared in the question as
* Play *.

Regards,

Robin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disappearing KudoZ questions

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs