Mobile menu

Aren't Persian and Farsi one and the same thing?
Thread poster: Nesrin

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:53
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jul 9, 2004

I only occasionally look into the FarsiEnglish Kudoz questions, having studied Farsi a few years ago. I just discovered that there are separate pages for Persian>English, English>Persian. As far as I am aware, Farsi and Persian are one and the same language. According to www.farsinet.com "Persian Language, also known as Farsi, is the most widely spoken member of the Iranian branch of the Indo-Iranian languages, a subfamily of the Indo-European languages." If a native speaker can confirm this, I think, to avoid confusion, one of the two should be eliminated from the Kudoz list (I suggest Persian, as its pages are less frequented than the Farsi pages).

Nesrin

Direct link Reply with quote

R Farhat  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 05:53
Member (2004)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Same language Jul 9, 2004

hello Nesrin & Tayfun,
yes as you have noticed in Kudoz language pairs, Farsi & Persian appear as if were two different languages -they are one of course! the name Farsi as pronounced in Arabic, and Persian in English.
I've read a long discussion on this matter months ago: Is it FARSI or PERSIAN.. it's quite interesting with some historical background: http://www.proz.com/topic/16636
but still i don't know why it still comes in two different categories in the language pairs selection box!
my regards,

Dylan Edwards  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Greek to English
+ ...
Is one ancient and the other modern? Jul 9, 2004

There's a tendency for the word "Persian" to be associated with ancient times. Under "Persian", the Oxford Dictionary gives this as a secondary meaning of the word: "an earlier form of this language spoken in ancient or medieval Persia".

On the other hand, I've always thought of "Farsi" as meaning the modern language.

Those with a knowledge of Persian/Farsi may have some opinions on this. I'm simply pointing out a tendency. It isn't a rigid distinction in English.
There may be strong arguments for having just one ProZ name for the language, ancient or modern.

I notice there's still a ProZ distinction between Greek and Greek (Ancient).

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So Persian is the word to use Jul 9, 2004

randa2 wrote:

yes as you have noticed in Kudoz language pairs, Farsi & Persian appear as if were two different languages -they are one of course! the name Farsi as pronounced in Arabic, and Persian in English.
I've read a long discussion on this matter months ago: Is it FARSI or PERSIAN.. it's quite interesting with some historical background: http://www.proz.com/topic/16636
but still i don't know why it still comes in two different categories in the language pairs selection box!
my regards,

Hi Randa,

Thanks for the link to the interesting discussion. As I can tell from the opinion of most native speakers who contributed, "Persian" is the word to use in English.
I am surprised that none seems to have noticed the existence of two parallel language pairs on Kudoz!

Nesrin

Cristina Moldovan do Amaral  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:53
Member (2002)
English to Romanian
+ ...
The same thing with Romanian and Moldavian (or Moldovan) Jul 9, 2004

They are one and the same language.
See this topic:
http://www.proz.com/topic/5062
Thank you, Nesrin, for opening this topic!

[Edited at 2004-07-11 16:44]

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Where there is more than one name for a language Jul 9, 2004

it might be nice to use two of the names together, sometimes,
if the speakers of a language would like (for a language option, forum, etc).
Giuli~
(Eng Rus Geo)

[Edited at 2004-07-09 21:22]

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:53
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
Same thing Jul 10, 2004

There is no difference between these two, but some old and long debates exist about how should we name our language. I strongly suggest reading this article :

Iran or Persia? Farsi or Persian? Which Ones Should Use ?!

http://www.irandokht.com/editorial/index4.php?area=pro§ionID=9&editorialID=646

[Edited at 2004-07-10 03:33]

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
The same with Latvian Jul 10, 2004

We often receive POs, mentioning Latvian/Lettish, though the first is simply the English name for our language and the second one- German. The reason is that many linguistic sites/studies for some unknown reason (ignorance?) even in English refer to Latvian language as "Lettish"...

Uldis

Serkan Doğan  Identity Verified
Turkey
Turkish to English
+ ...
actually same Jul 12, 2004

yes, basically these are same languages. In fact, "Farsi" for Arabic and "Persian" for English pronounciation. We Turkish people say "Farsça" for "Persian" language in literature. And Arabic people say "Farsi" of coruse in their language. It is exactly similar with the case "Boþnakça and Sýrpça" (Serbian and Bosnian) which refers to the same language that is being used by two different nations in the same territory.

--

randa2 wrote:

hello Nesrin & Tayfun,
my regards,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aren't Persian and Farsi one and the same thing?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs