Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Approaching a question: Do I really know the answer to that?
Thread poster: Sormane Gomes
Jane Gabbutt
Jane Gabbutt  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:44
Italian to English
+ ...
Useless answers in equal proportion to pointless questions Aug 2, 2004

My belated reply to many of the issues raised above is as follows:

When I first started using ProZ I thought KudoZ extremely helpful and I enjoyed giving help where I thought I could. But spend too much time there and you soon begin to see that people are clamouring for points. Also, the whole "thankyou" ritual smacks of cliques (although I admit I was sucked in) and I felt phoney for taking part. I'm British, well known for being over-polite, but even I couldn't stomach all that ni
... See more
My belated reply to many of the issues raised above is as follows:

When I first started using ProZ I thought KudoZ extremely helpful and I enjoyed giving help where I thought I could. But spend too much time there and you soon begin to see that people are clamouring for points. Also, the whole "thankyou" ritual smacks of cliques (although I admit I was sucked in) and I felt phoney for taking part. I'm British, well known for being over-polite, but even I couldn't stomach all that niceness.

Having observed and used KudoZ over a longer period of time, I have come to the conclusion that the sometimes useless answers from translators are in equal proportion to the pointless questions asked. Only today in Italian-English, many examples of "why didn't you just use your dictionary" questions have appeared. I'm getting off topic but my point is that if translators need to be pulled up on their inputs to KudoZ, then askers should also be subject to scrutiny.

Earlier contributors to this discussion will be pleased to hear that I have modified my KudoZ behaviour, however not because I think I am too inexperienced or lacking in qualifications to take part (when I know I can help I do) but because its embarassing making obvious mistakes and I've got too much work on!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Approaching a question: Do I really know the answer to that?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »