Mobile menu

Searching the glossaries - am I doing it right?
Thread poster: Armorel Young

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:48
Member (2004)
German to English
Aug 1, 2004

When I use the "Search Glossaries" page to see if a term has been previously discussed, the system comes up (if I'm lucky) with a number of answers. I probably want to click on several of these to see the full details. After I've been to the details of the first one, I therefore use the back button, hoping that I'll be returned to the initial list of answers and be able to view their details - but at this point the browser comes up with the "This page cannot be displayed" page, and I have to repeat the whole enquiry again simply to get back to the list of answers which I originally had. It gets very time-consuming to view the details of half a dozen translations of the same term. Is there something wrong with the way I'm doing this, or a better technique that would let me view all the details more quickly?

Direct link Reply with quote

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:48
German to English
+ ...
The same thing happens to me Aug 1, 2004

It seems to be a fairly recent occurrence -- VERY annoying!

The "page has expired" message comes up much more frequently than before, but usually, after hitting the back button again, I get to where I wanted to be, except in the gloss search.

[Edited at 2004-08-01 20:11]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:48
English to German
+ ...
Open link in new window Aug 1, 2004

Hi Armorel and Trudy,
Why don't you right-click on the link and use Open in new window? In this way you can keep the list.

HTH, Ralf

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:18
English to Tamil
+ ...
One more suggestion Aug 2, 2004

How about making the opening of a new window a default setting? This facility exists in forum postings. If some other thread's url is given as hyperlink and one clicks on that, a new window opens. In Google too there is provision in the options for making this functionality of opening a new window into a default setting. It should be technically possible, I am sure.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Hi Armorel and Trudy,
Why don't you right-click on the link and use Open in new window? In this way you can keep the list.
HTH, Ralf

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:48
Member (2004)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ralf Aug 2, 2004

Thanks for pointing out the "open in new window" option - of course that does just what is required and I shall now happily do that!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching the glossaries - am I doing it right?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs