Possible improvement of kudoz glossary
Thread poster: RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 09:19
French to English
+ ...
Aug 19, 2004

Wouldn't it save time to have all terms listed alphabetically, with a code letter indicating relevant field, instead of having to specify the field beforehand?

I have found this segmentation to be a waste of time, especially since some terms overlap fields.

I am interested to hear what other prozniks think

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:19
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Agree, I don't use KudoZ glossaries Aug 19, 2004

I prefer to look only in KudoZ search, and I'll be able to find there all fields, answers entered into glossary or not, and words in the middle of a sentence.

Claudia

Carla Trapani
Local time: 17:19
English to Italian
+ ...
I use Kudoz Search, too Aug 19, 2004

This allows me to search also for words in the middle of sentences.

Have a nice day,
Carla

xxxdf49f
France
improvements Aug 19, 2004

Rita Heller wrote:

...I am interested to hear what other prozniks think

I've only been a ProZ member for 10 days - but with time on my hand since Conference season has not yet started again in France, I've been spending a lot on time on Kudoz Q&As... which leads me to the following suggestion:

It seems to me that the very first improvement to the glossary would be to somehow make sure that "wrong answers", though accepted by Askers, do not find their way as entries into the Kudoz glossary - yet since many seem sooooo eager to get extra points (I still don't understand the point of those points! probably because I'm new here), that must necessarily be the case
--> how could anyone who has seen (repeatedly) wrong answers being accepted, possibly trust the contents of any glossary?

Or am I the only one feeling this distrust?
df

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
To tell the truth, Aug 19, 2004

Rita Heller wrote:

Wouldn't it save time to have all terms listed alphabetically, with a code letter indicating relevant field, instead of having to specify the field beforehand?

I have found this segmentation to be a waste of time, especially since some terms overlap fields.

I am interested to hear what other prozniks think

I never use this method. Maybe I'd do so in case your proposal would be realised.

I always use the Glossary Search without specifying the target language. This way you get the most translations, and even if they are not into the target language you are looking for, the accompanying Kudoz question / answers may provide you with a lot of background information, and in case the concerning target language is very familiar to the target language you are looking for, the answer may be very usable (for instance 'line of business' translated into German as 'Branche' tells a Dutchy a lot, if not everything).

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
That's why you don't just check the glossary, but you also check the Kudoz question Aug 19, 2004

df49f wrote:

It seems to me that the very first improvement to the glossary would be to somehow make sure that "wrong answers", though accepted by Askers, do not find their way as entries into the Kudoz glossary df

Hello there!

I think there are two issues here:

The first is that you shouldn't blithely trust a glossary entry without having checked out the Kudoz question behind it or (if it's a member glossary) the qualifications of the member concerned. When you look a term up in a dictionary, you really ought to run a double check to see if the term really is used in that context in your target language.

Secondly, sometimes the "wrong" Kudoz answer does get picked, but part of the moderator's role is to "fix" glossary entries. If you do find a blatantly wrong glossary entry, then please do contact the moderator of the respective language pair. Tell them what you think is wrong and why you thing that the correct entry should be something else. Then we can fix any wrong entries for you.

FWIW

Alison

xxxdf49f
France
thanks Aug 19, 2004

Thanks Alison for your help - I'm not yet familiar with the ins & outs of Kudoz, and I'll keep your suggestions in mind.
df

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible improvement of kudoz glossary

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs