Giselle Chaumien
Giselle Chaumien
Germany
Local time: 02:37
French to German
+ ...
Aug 24, 2004

Hello,

I just wanted to discuss the following point: what do you think about people who ask questions and never grade them although they have got the right answer? I mean especially people who need an "urgent" answer, have difficult questions, get detailed answers because other people have spent quite a lot of time looking for the right answer in order to help them... Those people systematically "forget" to grade the question...
I wonder what people who need the points to get
... See more
Hello,

I just wanted to discuss the following point: what do you think about people who ask questions and never grade them although they have got the right answer? I mean especially people who need an "urgent" answer, have difficult questions, get detailed answers because other people have spent quite a lot of time looking for the right answer in order to help them... Those people systematically "forget" to grade the question...
I wonder what people who need the points to get jobs through ProZ.com think about this... Personally I do not really need the points at the moment.
... just to know ...
Regards
Giselle
Collapse

Amy Taylor
Amy Taylor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:37
Italian to English
Speak to a moderator? Aug 25, 2004

Hi Giselle,

If you are aware of a particular person with a large number of questions for which no points were ever awarded, or for which points were awarded only by the default system, I would bring the situation to the attention of a moderator in the appropriate language pair. Perhaps a gentle reminder would be enough nudging to convince the delinquent askers to award points well-earned, and if not, the moderators I think are in a good position to decide what further action, if any
... See more
Hi Giselle,

If you are aware of a particular person with a large number of questions for which no points were ever awarded, or for which points were awarded only by the default system, I would bring the situation to the attention of a moderator in the appropriate language pair. Perhaps a gentle reminder would be enough nudging to convince the delinquent askers to award points well-earned, and if not, the moderators I think are in a good position to decide what further action, if any, is necessary on a case by case basis.

I agree that it's certainly frustrating, and one might wonder why people continue to answer questions from people who are clearly abusing the system. Can only platinum members see the Q/A ratio, I wonder?

Best,

Amy
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 20:37
SITE FOUNDER
Statistics: 95.8% get graded Aug 25, 2004

Between askers and the robot, 95.8% of questions that are answered (and not squashed) get graded. This does leave thousands unanswered... but percentage-wise at least, most of what can be achieved in terms of closing has been achieved.

To answer your question, though, no one appreciates when a question is left open!

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
I do, but I do not like it Aug 25, 2004

Hi Giselle,

I think the Kudoz part of proz. is a great feature, I often got help right at the same moment. However if it comes to the grading it somehow does not go together with me. Everybody who is participating is looking for answers and trying to help.

I even think if there would not be a grading system people would participate, a lot of times I see people who just answer because there nice, and there is no space left on there side for Kudoz points. (-:

... See more
Hi Giselle,

I think the Kudoz part of proz. is a great feature, I often got help right at the same moment. However if it comes to the grading it somehow does not go together with me. Everybody who is participating is looking for answers and trying to help.

I even think if there would not be a grading system people would participate, a lot of times I see people who just answer because there nice, and there is no space left on there side for Kudoz points. (-:

I also realized that sometimes people get a bit nippy because they think that there answer is right, which could also be but I do not want to be the cause for such feelings.

I mean someone gives you the right answer with almost no explanation and no research and a other person gives you the "wrong" answer with a whole paragraph. I do not like to grade that.

Kudoz points dont give you jobs, well at least I dont believe so, cant really say with that kind of certainty as I lack of Kudoz point of course only because I am to busy working ha ha (((-;

Well by writing this people probably check my website which puts up my visitor count to my page and tommorrow I will be swamped with work yesss!!!

Bye bye everybody
Collapse

Jussara Simoes (X)
Jussara Simoes (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:37
English to Portuguese
+ ...
There are open questions since the year 2000! Aug 25, 2004

Henry wrote:
o answer your question, though, no one appreciates when a question is left open![/quote]

Henry,

There are open questions since the year 2000!
I gave up using ProZ for almost 4 years for a lot or reasons, and this was one of them. I came back now because a friend told me ProZ got improved since then, so I decided to give it another try.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Welcome back Jussara Aug 25, 2004

I had a look at your profile and the questions to which you answered and that were never graded.

I suppose that it was in the early days of KudoZ, as the number of the questions are 1456 or 2974, now we're in 793984.

The system has been improved, the rules are more enforced, and there's the best kudozer's friend: the robot (in fact I ignore if all this existed or not four years ago).

But in order to
... See more
I had a look at your profile and the questions to which you answered and that were never graded.

I suppose that it was in the early days of KudoZ, as the number of the questions are 1456 or 2974, now we're in 793984.

The system has been improved, the rules are more enforced, and there's the best kudozer's friend: the robot (in fact I ignore if all this existed or not four years ago).

But in order to let the robot grade the questions, the colleagues must be fair play and vote for the best answer.
We could invite all those colleagues working in your pairs to help the robot now and vote in your open questions for the best answer. I could notice that there's another person who answered to those questions who removed his profile. It doesn't matter whether he earns the points: the question will be cleanly closed.

I hope you'll notice by yourself that what your friend told you is true.

Claudia
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:07
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Dear Andrea Aug 25, 2004

As I checked the Kudoz questions asked by you, I saw that only two questinos remained ungraded. And you were at fault in none of them. One question did not have any answers inspite of the prospective answerer being invited to record his/her answer. And the other question was closed by you without grading as it was only a repeat question.

As for doing away with Kudoz points, I beg to differ. I for one will no longer be interested in answering questions in that eventuality. Kudoz are
... See more
As I checked the Kudoz questions asked by you, I saw that only two questinos remained ungraded. And you were at fault in none of them. One question did not have any answers inspite of the prospective answerer being invited to record his/her answer. And the other question was closed by you without grading as it was only a repeat question.

As for doing away with Kudoz points, I beg to differ. I for one will no longer be interested in answering questions in that eventuality. Kudoz are quite handy for non-platinum members to enable their viewing the blue board and quoting for jobs by using their Brownies, not to forget the favourable position in the list fo translators.

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Andrea Di Marco wrote:

I mean someone gives you the right answer with almost no explanation and no research and a other person gives you the "wrong" answer with a whole paragraph. I do not like to grade that.

Kudoz points dont give you jobs, well at least I dont believe so, cant really say with that kind of certainty as I lack of Kudoz point of course only because I am to busy working ha ha

[Edited at 2004-08-31 01:27]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Small correction, if I may Aug 25, 2004

Dear Narasimhan,
Sorry to correct you, but this is a regular source of misunderstandings:

Kudoz are quite handy for non-platinum members to enable their viewing the blue board

Er... no. That requires BrowniZ, too, as set out in the [url=http://www.proz.com/?sp=agency_list&viewPage=faq#nonplat_blue_board[/url]:

5. I am not a Platinum Member...can I still see ratings?

Yes. Login and click on the name of the client you wish to review. You will be prompted to make a payment of browniz or cash.

Best regards, Ralf

Alejandra Villarroel
Alejandra Villarroel  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
What's the statistic excluding the robot? Aug 25, 2004

Henry wrote:

Between askers and the robot, 95.8% of questions that are answered (and not squashed) get graded. This does leave thousands unanswered... but percentage-wise at least, most of what can be achieved in terms of closing has been achieved.

To answer your question, though, no one appreciates when a question is left open!

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:07
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Small correction to my statement Aug 25, 2004

I do agree. For quoting and blueboard viewing only Brownies are required. But Kudoz leads to brownies too. You answer a question correctly you get Kudoz. If you add the answer to the glossary you get Brownies. If you agree/disagree with an answer again you get Brownies and the successful answerer gets Kudoz and so on. In that way there is a loose connection between blue board viewing/quoting and Kudoz.

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Ralf Lemster wrote:

Dear Narasimhan,
Sorry to correct you, but this is a regular source of misunderstandings:

Kudoz are quite handy for non-platinum members to enable their viewing the blue board

Er... no. That requires BrowniZ, too, as set out in the [url=http://www.proz.com/?sp=agency_list&viewPage=faq#nonplat_blue_board[/url]:

5. I am not a Platinum Member...can I still see ratings?

Yes. Login and click on the name of the client you wish to review. You will be prompted to make a payment of browniz or cash.

Best regards, Ralf

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Please don't drop the points! Aug 25, 2004

But please give do give them a little thought before awarding 4!

4 is for a really useful answer with a reference
3 is for a good answer, somewhat useful but maybe without a convincing reference

etc.

I can't find the official scale, but it is there somewhere on the site!

I love KudoZ just for the 'game', the comments and the mental gymnastics. Really useful answers come up frequently in the pairs I follow, and I note them in my di
... See more
But please give do give them a little thought before awarding 4!

4 is for a really useful answer with a reference
3 is for a good answer, somewhat useful but maybe without a convincing reference

etc.

I can't find the official scale, but it is there somewhere on the site!

I love KudoZ just for the 'game', the comments and the mental gymnastics. Really useful answers come up frequently in the pairs I follow, and I note them in my dictionaries and word lists for future reference.

I also note which colleagues give the most convincing answers for when I need help myself!

Of course, I love getting points too. But I sometimes feel a bit guilty if I've just fired some instant suggestion off and get 4 points when I really only deserve 2.
Collapse

Giselle Chaumien
Giselle Chaumien
Germany
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not a particular person Aug 25, 2004

[quote]Amy Taylor wrote:

Hi Giselle,

If you are aware of a particular person ...

No, I am not aware of a particular person... It was just in general, of course I only look at my language pairs...
It is not a problem for me.
Thanks for your reply.
Best regards
Giselle

Giselle Chaumien
Giselle Chaumien
Germany
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
KudoZ points and jobs Aug 25, 2004

Andrea Di Marco wrote:

Hi Giselle,

oz points dont give you jobs, ...

Well, if I have understood the thing right it gives you the opportunity to apply for jobs... But I may be wrong because I do not use my points.
Thanks for your reply and "bon courage" for your work
Giselle

Giselle Chaumien
Giselle Chaumien
Germany
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Once again: NOT MY answers Aug 25, 2004

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

could notice that there's another person who answered to those questions who removed his profile. It doesn't matter whether he earns the points: the question will be cleanly closed.

I hope you'll notice by yourself that what your friend told you is true.

Claudia[/quote]

Thanks, Claudia, but let me repeat it: I am not talking about MY answers. For me it does not matter whether people grade the questions I answer or not. I do not answer regularly at all and when I do it it is just to help and not to earn points.

As to your last sentence: sorry, I do not understand it. Who is "your friend"...????
Best regards

Aleksandra Gjoreska
Aleksandra Gjoreska  Identity Verified
Austria
German to Macedonian
+ ...
Something similar! Aug 25, 2004

I as well do not agree with this kind of behavior, it is simply not correct. I just wanted to add that i get the feeling that the same thing happens with the job postings which are rarely closed - namely some of them remain open even after the bidding has been completed or even after the delivery deadline for the job has passed. Like this we never know if our bid was good or not good and so on .... I consider this issue needs attention as well...

Best to all of you
Alexandra<
... See more
I as well do not agree with this kind of behavior, it is simply not correct. I just wanted to add that i get the feeling that the same thing happens with the job postings which are rarely closed - namely some of them remain open even after the bidding has been completed or even after the delivery deadline for the job has passed. Like this we never know if our bid was good or not good and so on .... I consider this issue needs attention as well...

Best to all of you
Alexandra

[Edited at 2004-08-25 09:16]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thousands of never graded questions

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »