https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/24456-is_it_only_possible_to_ask_a_question_in_our_own_language_pairs.html

Is it only possible to ask a question in our own language pairs?
Thread poster: Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:32
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sep 4, 2004

I just got a shock. I can't ask a question because it does not involve my own language pair.

I am translating a document about orchids and where their names come from. One name originates from the Moluccas (Indonesian ?) but I cannot ask what it means.

The term in question is:
Pombo Terbang = ???

How can I ask this question?

Note added after posting:
I logged out and asked the question. This is possible but ... I'd rather ask questi
... See more
I just got a shock. I can't ask a question because it does not involve my own language pair.

I am translating a document about orchids and where their names come from. One name originates from the Moluccas (Indonesian ?) but I cannot ask what it means.

The term in question is:
Pombo Terbang = ???

How can I ask this question?

Note added after posting:
I logged out and asked the question. This is possible but ... I'd rather ask questions through my profile.

[Edited at 2004-09-04 23:11]
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:32
French to Spanish
+ ...
Yes you can, of course. Sep 4, 2004

Happened to me yesterday. I had to ask a question in Hebrew. So, you go to "Ask a new question", and there's an icon that says "Other languages"... pick it up and that's it.
Luck.

Amy Taylor
Amy Taylor  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
Tiny fonts... Sep 4, 2004

...have prevented other Proz just like you from seeing the words "More Languages", located just below the drop down box with your own language pairs. Try asking a question again logged in, squint, and you'll see it hiding there.
AmyT

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
Add that language pair to your profile. Sep 4, 2004

Hi Marijke,
Just do that. If you don't want it to appear because Indonesian is not really your working language, you can mark it as an 'interest'. Thus, it won't be visible to others.
I've got many more language pairs than those you can see. I wouldn't work into a foreing language (so I don't want others to think I do when they see my profile), but I feel free to answer (and ask) kudoz questions into English.... See more
Hi Marijke,
Just do that. If you don't want it to appear because Indonesian is not really your working language, you can mark it as an 'interest'. Thus, it won't be visible to others.
I've got many more language pairs than those you can see. I wouldn't work into a foreing language (so I don't want others to think I do when they see my profile), but I feel free to answer (and ask) kudoz questions into English.
HTH
Javier
Collapse

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
... Sep 4, 2004

Amy Taylor wrote:

...have prevented other Proz just like you from seeing the words "More Languages", located just below the drop down box with your own language pairs. Try asking a question again logged in, squint, and you'll see it hiding there.
AmyT

As you can see in my previous message, I never took notice.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:32
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More languages Sep 5, 2004

Missed it completely!

Thanks for the tip!

I looked everywhere on the page but not in the immediate area of the languages. How stupid can you be

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You are not alone Marijke Sep 5, 2004

Marijke Singer wrote:
How stupid can you be

It happens a lot when you use something for the first time

Cheers,
Monika

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:32
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Illogical layout Sep 5, 2004

The "more languages" which only brings up your own pairs is in the "Language Pair" line. The "more langs" which you need to enable you to ask a question in any language is in the "Language preferred for answer explanation" line, so one naturally assumes it refers only to that.
Thanks, Marijke, for bringing this up. I doubt if I would ever have worked it out for myself if I had ever wanted to ask a question outside my registered language pairs.

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Layout Sep 5, 2004

IMO the "More languajes" option should be another option of the "languaje pairs" drop-down menu, instead of a label covered by such menu when it opens.

Nice to see you Jack!

Regards,
Enrique

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:32
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Someone appears to have fixed the problem Sep 5, 2004

Nice to see you too, Quique!

Just tried again and I find that it is now the other way round. "Other languages" in the "Language Pair" line now brings up the full range of languages, with "Your pairs" as an option under the box. Anyway, thanks to Jason or whoever it was. It is more logical this way.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it only possible to ask a question in our own language pairs?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »