https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/24767-reminder_before_asking_kudoz_questions.html

Reminder before asking KudoZ questions
Thread poster: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 21:28
German to English
+ ...
Sep 15, 2004

Dear all,

Perhaps it's just me - or my settings - but the reminder to search the glossaries before asking a question (and the corresponding link) hasn't appeared for ages. (Does this have anything to do with my level of points?)

As well as reintroducing this, I think there should be a few other reminder steps for potential askers before they are allowed to ask questions. How about the following:
(1) Have you checked the glossaries?
(2) Have you checked all d
... See more
Dear all,

Perhaps it's just me - or my settings - but the reminder to search the glossaries before asking a question (and the corresponding link) hasn't appeared for ages. (Does this have anything to do with my level of points?)

As well as reintroducing this, I think there should be a few other reminder steps for potential askers before they are allowed to ask questions. How about the following:
(1) Have you checked the glossaries?
(2) Have you checked all dictionaries at your disposal (including online ones)
(3) Have you researched your term on the internet?
(4) Ask the ProZ

I think that this would help to avoid annoying situations whereby askers regularly forget to check the glossaries and/or treat their colleagues as walking dictionaries. Or perhaps this could be just used for new members.

Looking forward to hearing comments on this

Ian

[Edited at 2004-09-15 15:44]
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Agree with inclusion of reminder steps Sep 15, 2004

Hi Ian,

I am not sure in terms of the (non-)appearance of the reminder to check the glossaries but in general, the reminder steps are good thinking. AFAIK there had been discussions along similar lines in the past that weren't followed up by related actions.

IMHO the four steps

(1) Have you checked the KudoZ glossaries?
(3) Have
... See more
Hi Ian,

I am not sure in terms of the (non-)appearance of the reminder to check the glossaries but in general, the reminder steps are good thinking. AFAIK there had been discussions along similar lines in the past that weren't followed up by related actions.

IMHO the four steps

(1) Have you checked the KudoZ glossaries?
(3) Have you researched your term on the internet?

If you've already taken the above steps, then proceed to

(4) Ask the ProZ

should be programmed into the KudoZ question posting form so as to appear at its top whenever you open it (with a clickable link to the KudoZ glossaries). Currently there isn't anything to that effect - the only thing I see there is the note "Before using, please read the KudoZ Rules and KudoZ FAQ".

I wouldn't restrict this "flag" or "marker" to new members but rather include it permanently for any member asking KudoZ.

My 2c,
Steffen

[Edited at 2004-09-15 15:59]
Collapse

PRen (X)
PRen (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:28
French to English
+ ...
Agree with Ian Sep 15, 2004

I agree completely, particularly when the term requested is either in the dictionary or readily available from Google. There have been more than a few recently like that.

Paula

Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Me too Sep 15, 2004

I also happen to agree -- especially as a guilty party :-/
A reminder could be a good thing when the stress level is high

-Mike-

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:28
German to English
Reminder before asking KudoZ questions Sep 15, 2004

Good ideas, everybody, but reminders are often overlooked or ignored. If the question is already in the KudoZ glossary the asker should be required to acknowledge this by checking a box indicating acknowledgement. Sometimes the glossary answers don't meet the asker's requirements, but answerers should know the asker has taken the necessary first steps.

Kim

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
Why not automate it? Sep 15, 2004

Since we live in a computerized world (This site is proof of it). Why canĀ“t the site simply search the glossaries BEFORE posting the question and offer the answers available to the asker? I don't know how hard it would be to program that in to the site, but it would save a lot of time.

Just a thought...

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Link to Internet Search Sep 16, 2004

While we're at it, perhaps we could even include a link to the Internet Search, which in my opinion is one of the most useful features of the site.

Keep the ideas coming!

Ian

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Sure, when it works Sep 16, 2004

Ian Winick wrote: While we're at it, perhaps we could even include a link to the Internet Search, which in my opinion is one of the most useful features of the site. Ian

I have never been able to use it. I just tried again, on http://www.proz.com/search/internet_search.php, and as soon as I click on the language scroll-down menu, the margin text, 25% of the page on the left side, turns white, disappears, and I'm left with a description of this wonderful tool, nothing more

Nancy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reminder before asking KudoZ questions

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »