KudoZ search vs. Search glossaries
Thread poster: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:37
German to English
Oct 13, 2004

I've been accustomed to using "Search glossaries" when looking for terminology, but I've discovered (after Derek Gill pointed it out) that "KudoZ search" is more reliable. Just now I entered the German phrase "Grunde nach" - short for "dem Grunde nach" in German to English in Search glossaries and came up with zilch. Then I entered the same term in KudoZ search and bingo!
Does anything need to be done to correct this problem?

[Edited at 2004-10-13 15:28]

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
Local time: 05:37
French to English
+ ...
I'm confused Oct 13, 2004

To be honest, I'm confused by all the search options and I never seem to get the results I expect - sometimes I get nothing when I know the answer's in there somewhere. When I do manage to do a successful search, I immediately forget which option got me there.

We have the choice between Search Glossaries, KudoZ Search and KudoZ Glossaries. Please can some kind person explain the difference between these search options? Which option should I use for searching words in the database
... See more
To be honest, I'm confused by all the search options and I never seem to get the results I expect - sometimes I get nothing when I know the answer's in there somewhere. When I do manage to do a successful search, I immediately forget which option got me there.

We have the choice between Search Glossaries, KudoZ Search and KudoZ Glossaries. Please can some kind person explain the difference between these search options? Which option should I use for searching words in the database of asked and answered Kudoz questions? Which option is for searching members' own glossaries?

I never used to have this problem before the site was improved and I'm wondering if this is one of the reasons why people appear to be asking more questions which have been asked before. Maybe some people ARE searching before they ask their question, but maybe they've drawn a blank like I sometimes do.
Collapse

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:37
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
KudoZ Glossaries Oct 13, 2004

work best to me. So far, I had used the Search Glossaries option. Last week I was desperately looking for a term and tried anything that came handy. That is how I started using the KudoZ Glossaries and found them most useful. The only problem is that if the term is not under the correct category, you may lose extra time searching all categories...

I would also appreciate some kind of explanation of their differences.
... See more
work best to me. So far, I had used the Search Glossaries option. Last week I was desperately looking for a term and tried anything that came handy. That is how I started using the KudoZ Glossaries and found them most useful. The only problem is that if the term is not under the correct category, you may lose extra time searching all categories...

I would also appreciate some kind of explanation of their differences. And it is true: some terms are found in only one of the search options. Isn't the database the same for the three of them?

Cheers,
Andrea
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ search vs. Search glossaries

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »