Thread poster: Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:11
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 28, 2004

I just wonder about the meaning of one feature for KudoZ answerers: notes that I make to my own answer shift it down, and make it look like proposed later than another similar answers. As a result asker chooses another answer, which is perfectly alike, but looks like proposed earlier...
I know that there can be another reasons for choosing particular answer...
So, I'm only asking about the meaning of this feature, which as far as I remember didn't exist some time ago and so it was i
... See more
I just wonder about the meaning of one feature for KudoZ answerers: notes that I make to my own answer shift it down, and make it look like proposed later than another similar answers. As a result asker chooses another answer, which is perfectly alike, but looks like proposed earlier...
I know that there can be another reasons for choosing particular answer...
So, I'm only asking about the meaning of this feature, which as far as I remember didn't exist some time ago and so it was introduced for some reasons.
Collapse

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
The reason Oct 28, 2004

Some time ago, people abused the system by entering a translation, to be the first, and then came back with explanations and links and other things to support their answer. In the meantime, if someone took the time to research the term had no chance, because the other person was ranked higher and appeared as being the first answerer. This is why this feature was introduced. Now answers are listed by the time of the last addendum, in order to avoid giving quick answers "to secure a top position" ... See more
Some time ago, people abused the system by entering a translation, to be the first, and then came back with explanations and links and other things to support their answer. In the meantime, if someone took the time to research the term had no chance, because the other person was ranked higher and appeared as being the first answerer. This is why this feature was introduced. Now answers are listed by the time of the last addendum, in order to avoid giving quick answers "to secure a top position" in the list of answers. I hope that answers your questionCollapse

Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's understandable, but... Oct 28, 2004

Even when I'm sure in my answer, I still feel that I need to give some explanation and links to asker: so this is not abuse of a system. I'm not searching for links to make myself more confident in my anser (btw, I indicate the level of my confidence when answering a question), I'm searching for them for answerer, who needs not only my word, no matter how confident I am...

[Edited at 2004-10-28 13:51]

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:11
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Why Oct 28, 2004

Hello

Elvira's explanation is excellent, there were lots of complains about people who used to answer first, one word, and sent it, and then came back with references, sometimes more than five addendum, making the page long to browse and pushing the other answers down.

Two changes were made, the one you mention, with every addendum the answer goes to the latest position, and the asker is adviced not to close the question before 24 hours.

I disagree with th
... See more
Hello

Elvira's explanation is excellent, there were lots of complains about people who used to answer first, one word, and sent it, and then came back with references, sometimes more than five addendum, making the page long to browse and pushing the other answers down.

Two changes were made, the one you mention, with every addendum the answer goes to the latest position, and the asker is adviced not to close the question before 24 hours.

I disagree with the statement that other answers than the first one are "not worth". Kudoz regular users know that all the information (timing too) is there.
And for two people who posted at the same time, with the same answer but with and without references, the one that diserves the kudoz is the most complete.

Claudia

[Edited at 2004-10-28 12:21]
Collapse

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:11
German to English
+ ...
Maybe a note to this effect might not be a bad idea Oct 28, 2004

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

I disagree with the statement that other answers than the first one are "not worth". Kudoz regular users know that all the information (timing too) is there.
And for two people who posted at the same time, with the same answer but with and without references, the one that diserves the kudoz is the most complete.

Claudia

[Edited at 2004-10-28 12:21]

A note to this effect might not be a bad idea, so that when the asker browses through the answers, there will be a note to inform him or her that the answers are arranged in a random order. Sometimes there are two identical answers and the later one is positioned before the earlier one. This can lead to askers who are not in the know giving points to the later answer although, for the sake of fairness, they should have given points to the earlier one (that is if both answers really are the same).

All the best,

Sarah

Although, on second thoughts, this could be defeating the object, although it sames a shame that some answerers may be "penalised" for the unfair behaviour of others - i.e. they don't get the points they deserve because of a system that some people might not fully understand (if you catch my drift ...)

[Edited at 2004-10-28 13:50]

Tomás Rosa Bueno
Tomás Rosa Bueno  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In other words... Oct 28, 2004

... don't rush to post your reply. Do your research, collect your supporting material and then post it. If you do it right, chances are your reply will de picked, regardless of its position.

Tomás

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Order of Reply Oct 29, 2004

As long as we are on this subject, it might be a good idea to have a feature to indicate the order of replies as they are received (1,2,3, etc.). Sometimes, especially with an easy term, there can be two or three quick answers at once at the same minute, and if we were to add anything, we would lose the first place we deserve.

Askers don't always choose the first reply, but the quickest fingers (and mind) normally have the advantage, as they properly should.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Notes making your answer "not worth" of being chosen by asker

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »