https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/26416-kudoznet_will_be_retired_at_the_end_of_2004.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
KudoZ.NET will be retired at the end of 2004
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:09
Spanish
+ ...
Nov 7, 2004

I went to the KudoZ.net download page and saw this message:

KudoZ.NET
Translators' Collaboration Network

Note: KudoZ.NET will be retired at the end of 2004

KudoZ.NET has been deprecated in favor of FusionTM, a suite of translator productivity tools that includes KudoZ integration.

Learn more about FusionTM

What does this exactly mean? Will the current Kudoz.NET interface still be working after 2004? It no l
... See more
I went to the KudoZ.net download page and saw this message:

KudoZ.NET
Translators' Collaboration Network

Note: KudoZ.NET will be retired at the end of 2004

KudoZ.NET has been deprecated in favor of FusionTM, a suite of translator productivity tools that includes KudoZ integration.

Learn more about FusionTM

What does this exactly mean? Will the current Kudoz.NET interface still be working after 2004? It no longer will be free for non-users of Fusion?

A lot of us use Kudoz.NET and it will be a real shame if this happens.

[Edited at 2004-11-07 04:14]
Collapse

Fortiter
Fortiter
Local time: 14:09
French to Italian
+ ...
I completely agree... Nov 7, 2004

... with Caliaa. The Kudoz.net is a very useful, easy-to-access and beautiful place (even with its point system, which many colleagues don't like, as I know). Unfortunately, the sentence has not many other meanings, in my opinion....

For my little part, I won't answer Kudoz questions untill the thing gets clearer.

11thmuse
11thmuse  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:09
English to Dutch
+ ...
Kudoz.NET is good and should stay! Nov 7, 2004

1. It helps colleagues with problems that are outside their boundaries
2. It teaches us all how to search and research.
Isn't Kudoz.NET linked to MetaTexis too?

Henk Jansen

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:09
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Not enough information Nov 7, 2004

Actually I think there has not been enough information on this subject. Kudroz is quite important part of the whole site and there should have been a lot more info about the impact of the changes etc.

Burrell

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:09
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
KudoZ.Net is not the same as the KudoZ section of the site Nov 7, 2004

Hold on! there is a bit of confusion on this thread!!

KudoZ.Net is a software that will be withdrawn at the end of the year. That software will be replaced in most of its functionality by Fusion, an innovative TM software that includes, amongst many other features, the ability to access the KudoZ archives (as KudoZ.Net does now)

KudoZ, the ProZ.com terminology help feature, will NOT be withdrawn!

Gianfranco
ProZ.com Team

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Thanks for clarification! Nov 7, 2004

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

Hold on! there is a bit of confusion on this thread!!

KudoZ, the ProZ.com terminology help feature, will NOT be withdrawn!

Gianfranco
ProZ.com Team

Thanks, Gianfranco!

I was a bit confused but now everything is clear.

Burrell

[Edited at 2004-11-07 11:51]

Rosa Diez Tagarro
Rosa Diez Tagarro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
still Nov 7, 2004

Hi, Gianfranco:

I know that KudoZ.Net is not the same as KudoZ, the ProZ.com terminology help feature, but, still, will be sorry to see it withdrawn, since I happen to use it everyday and find it very convenient.

Just to let you know KudoZ.Net has its own fans and we'll surely miss it!

Rosa

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
That's the point Nov 7, 2004

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

That software will be replaced IN MOST OF ITS FUNCTIONALITY by Fusion,... blablabla
Gianfranco
ProZ.com Team

Could we, please, be informed what's the basis for this decision? And why are we noticed of this only by ebentually coming across certain pages?

Waht is FUSION? A commercial software? What does it mean, "BY MOST OF ITS FUNCTIONALITY"??!! Not all the good features in KudoZNet being kept?

And why at all change? Why we are enforced enforce us to use a commercial software when this is not needed?

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:09
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
I intended to clarify a misunderstanding Nov 7, 2004

Steffen Pollex wrote:
Could we, please, be informed what's the basis for this decision? And why are we noticed of this only by ebentually coming across certain pages?

Waht is FUSION? A commercial software? What does it mean, "BY MOST OF ITS FUNCTIONALITY"??!! Not all the good features in KudoZNet being kept?

And why at all change? Why we are enforced enforce us to use a commercial software when this is not needed?

Dear Steffen,

my posting was intended only to clarify the confusion between KudoZ.Net and the KudoZ section of the site. The discussion was leaning dangerously on confusing two very different things.

About Fusion and its features, architecture, advantages or disavantages and the differences in functionality compared to the obsolescent KudoZ.Net tool, I would like to point all members interested to the Fusion support forum, in http://www.proz.com/forum/64

You will find there two Fusion developers ready to answer to any question.

Gianfranco

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
It's a great pity... Nov 7, 2004

Dear Gianfranco,

I utilize the KudoZ.Net every day and I am very satisfied with it.

I think for the most users of other CATs is Fusion not essential.

My two cents;)

Best regards,

Geneviève

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 08:09
SITE FOUNDER
KudoZ.net will not disappear - but Fusion will pick up where it left off (Q: 'What to include?') Nov 7, 2004

Thanks for this topic!

I would like to clarify a bit the future of KudoZ.net and also ask for feedback from KudoZ.net users.

Using the desktop tool we call "KudoZ.net" does have advantages over KudoZ on the web, and we are aware that there is a group of enthusiasts who use KudoZ.net regularly. However, the percentage of KudoZ activity passing through KudoZ.net is very small and for this reason, we can not justify ongoing development.

Our announcement about
... See more
Thanks for this topic!

I would like to clarify a bit the future of KudoZ.net and also ask for feedback from KudoZ.net users.

Using the desktop tool we call "KudoZ.net" does have advantages over KudoZ on the web, and we are aware that there is a group of enthusiasts who use KudoZ.net regularly. However, the percentage of KudoZ activity passing through KudoZ.net is very small and for this reason, we can not justify ongoing development.

Our announcement about KudoZ.net is intended to make clear that we are making no guarantees as to KudoZ.net's future.

That said, I can point out the following:

(1) We are not just going to shut off KudoZ.net; it will continue to work after the end of the year. But you will not see new functions added, even as they are added to the web interface, and if problems appear, it is unlikely that we will be able to address them quickly (or at all.) Actually, this has been the case since the beginning of the year.

(2) Much of the functionality now in KudoZ.net will be available in Fusion(tm). So if you prefer the desktop interface, you will have options. A new version of Fusion will be released within the next few months, and it is reasonable to expect that the KudoZ interface in Fusion will continue to improve over time, whereas the interface in KudoZ.net will not change. So you may want to experiment with Fusion after its next release.

The above is decided, but for the benefit of Fusion's developers, feedback on what functions of KudoZ.net you like and need replicated would be very helpful.

Regards,
Henry
Collapse

DavidHardy
DavidHardy
Portuguese to English
Kudoz.Net and Fusion - free and non-free is useful - Nov 7, 2004

Thank you for the useful information about Kudoz.Net.

I teach students language technology in a faculty that does not have a budget for CAT tools. The best feature of Kudoz.net is that it is free. That is also true of www.proz.com.

The second best use of Kudoz.Net is that it can show students how they can use search multiple web sites for a translation. And then directly view a page -
... See more
Thank you for the useful information about Kudoz.Net.

I teach students language technology in a faculty that does not have a budget for CAT tools. The best feature of Kudoz.net is that it is free. That is also true of www.proz.com.

The second best use of Kudoz.Net is that it can show students how they can use search multiple web sites for a translation. And then directly view a page - of Eurodicautom, for example. It is VERY useful way of showing the potential power of the web with such a tool. And it is simple. Very important when used as one of the first pieces of software shown to students.

I very much appreciate the features offered by proz.com
for the translation community, for free, along with the paid platinum option. The free v buy option in this case seems to be well balanced.

If Fusion could have a similar free v buy option it would be very useful. I especially feel this teaching the next generation of translators - and I hope you will do this.

DavidHardy (David Hardisty)
Collapse

11thmuse
11thmuse  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:09
English to Dutch
+ ...
MetaTexis Nov 8, 2004

Will MetaTexis remain linked to Kudoz?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, David Nov 8, 2004

Thanks David. I was not aware that KudoZ.net was being used in a class, and that is certainly something we will consider. I will work with the developers of Fusion (and other tools, if necessary), to ensure that KudoZ.net functionality is accessible without a charge--preferably to all, and at least to students.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
MetaTexis - yes Nov 8, 2004

Henk Jansen wrote:

Will MetaTexis remain linked to Kudoz?

Yes, we will continue to support MetaTexis' KudoZ functionality fully.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ.NET will be retired at the end of 2004

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »