Mobile menu

Suggestion: enable comments or notes as different from answers?
Thread poster: xxxtr.
xxxtr.
Local time: 22:34
English to Italian
Mar 16, 2005

Does anybody else wish there was a possibility to answer a Kudoz question with comments or notes that do not really qualify as an answer the asker can select or grade?

An example - sometimes I added an agree to an existing answer, but wanted to add a longer comment, perhaps with links and quoted text, than what is allowed in the space for agrees.

So far, when in that situation, I simply used the existing system to add that extra commentary as a separate answer, but with a clear note saying it should not be considered for selection and grading by the asker, because it was only an additional note.

It's not a problem, and it works fine as it is, but I think perhaps it would be simpler and clearer if we could select two different types of answer - one for the "proper" Kudoz answer with a specific translation suggestion the asker can select (as it works now), the other as a "note" without a suggested translation but for extra material, links, or extended comments.

So users could contribute even when they only want to add something that might be useful to understanding context and meaning, but don't have an exact translation to suggest (whether they just can't come up with something or there has been already another answer they agree with).

What do you think? Could it be useful or is it redundant?

Direct link Reply with quote

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
'ask the asker' Mar 16, 2005

Traweb wrote:

I would use the link 'ask the asker' for that. Even though you may not be asking anything but adding a note or more info.

Don't think it's necessary to have another section for this.
(note: I've also been known to add an answer to have more space to add info that wouldn't fit in the agree/disagree space, though!)

Cheers,
Grace

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:34
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I would say redundant. Mar 16, 2005

Traweb wrote:

I think either one of the existing options works well:
a) a note to the asker
b) an additional answer that is clearly marked as 'note' or 'explanation only'.

I would hesitate to add a long and involved note to someone else's answer because if they disagree, they don't have the option to respond.

xxxtr.
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
character limits Mar 16, 2005

Grace, you're right, actually, I've used the "ask the asker" space for that too myself a couple of times, recently. Thing is, it also has a character limit like the space for agree comments, most of the times it's enough, but sometimes I had to post more than once.

It's not such a problem, really, it's just, sometimes I wish there was a third option to add a note!

xxxtr.
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
you're right.. Mar 16, 2005

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Traweb wrote:

I think either one of the existing options works well:
a) a note to the asker
b) an additional answer that is clearly marked as 'note' or 'explanation only'.

I would hesitate to add a long and involved note to someone else's answer because if they disagree, they don't have the option to respond.

You're right, I didn't think about that...

Well then nevermind my suggestion. Those two existing options are ok, and yes, a third one would probably open up more problems.

Thanks for the replies!

Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Relabeling the 'ask the asker' link may be in order. Other options are available, too. Mar 17, 2005

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

I would use the link 'ask the asker' for that. Even though you may not be asking anything.

Grace

Many ProZers use 'ask the asker' to comment outside the "answering" circuit. It may be time the 'ask the asker' link got renamed "Comments" or something like that.

I believe it would be even better to replace the 'ask the asker' feature with what you are suggesting (if I understand it correctly), namely that the "answer" feature itself (which, by the way, is labeled "answer/comment") be turned into a true "answer/comment" feature. How do you do that? By activating a true "pure comment" feature, in the following fashion: When you post any contribution to a question, be it an answer, a comment, or a question to the asker, you would be required to specify whether you want your contribution to be entered into the answering/grading/rating circuit or merely left as a "pure comment." One advantage of this change would be to allow verbose contributors, like myself, to have ample space to ramble without encumbering the grading system. People could comment on my comments, but there is no need for any agree/disagree label, and it cannot earn any kuoZ, no matter how many people (including the asker) like it. More importantly, it would fit in the proper chronological sequence of contributions, giving the reader, even one who happens to look at the thread a year later, a clear view of how the "converstaion" went.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: enable comments or notes as different from answers?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs