Ask the Asker
Thread poster: Lancashireman
Lancashireman
Lancashireman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:16
German to English
Mar 26, 2005

Has anyone else noticed a trend towards ‘special pleading’ in the ‘Ask the Asker’ box? Comments such as “See my added note below ... hope it helps!” sound ingratiating. An answer once posted has unlimited space below where supporting notes may be added, so it is unfair on other contributors to use the neutral ground of the AtA box to exert pressure on the Asker.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 12:16
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
You are right Mar 26, 2005

Hi Andrew

It's forbidden by KudoZ rules:

I'd say that rule 4.4 "Encouraging others to agree with your answers or disagree with answers provided by others, is prohibited." is the one that should be used here, even it's inteneded for peer agreement.

In case you see such a use of the Ask the asker box, contact the moderator.

Claudia

mstkwasa
mstkwasa
English to Japanese
+ ...
Using AtA post-grading Mar 27, 2005

In JP>EN and EN>JP pairs, there have been somewhat intemperate discussions using AtA recently while the question was open, bordering on the infringement of rule 4.4.

What galls me even more is the use of AtA after the asker had graded the question. There was a case where one of the answerers whose suggestion was not picked, claiming xx years of residence in the country, quibbled about the asker's decision using AtA and thereby cast aspersion on the chosen answerer's
... See more
In JP>EN and EN>JP pairs, there have been somewhat intemperate discussions using AtA recently while the question was open, bordering on the infringement of rule 4.4.

What galls me even more is the use of AtA after the asker had graded the question. There was a case where one of the answerers whose suggestion was not picked, claiming xx years of residence in the country, quibbled about the asker's decision using AtA and thereby cast aspersion on the chosen answerer's and asker's linguistic abilities - two others and I agreed with the suggestion that was picked so indirectly my colleagues' and my abilities were doubted. This is surely against rule 3.4!

[Edited at 2005-03-27 22:59]
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Some are using the Ask the Asker box to "reign" over the question Mar 28, 2005

On one of the sites I participate in, one person routinely uses the Ask the Asker box to make pronouncements about answers given, state his/her own opinions, ideas, comments and often enters into dialogue with Asker as though the question only concerned the two of them. Answers given then must have this person's seal of approval (instead of just agree, one sees 'this is correct', or 'this is what I use' etc.).
I think that (unfortunately) it may be necessary to make an addition to the Kud
... See more
On one of the sites I participate in, one person routinely uses the Ask the Asker box to make pronouncements about answers given, state his/her own opinions, ideas, comments and often enters into dialogue with Asker as though the question only concerned the two of them. Answers given then must have this person's seal of approval (instead of just agree, one sees 'this is correct', or 'this is what I use' etc.).
I think that (unfortunately) it may be necessary to make an addition to the Kudoz rules in order to stop this sort of behaviour.
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:16
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Please report violations of KudoZ rule 3.4 to lg. pair moderator Mar 28, 2005

When a member uses any KudoZ function, including Ask the Asker, to atttempt to influence an asker's decision, intervention by the language pair moderator is called for. Please use the links provided under "Moderators in this pair" to contact a moderator.

Lancashireman
Lancashireman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Rule 4.4 Mar 29, 2005

Well, I took the advice of the two moderators here and contacted the two moderators for the board where the ‘special pleading’ took place. One has replied to the effect that no rule appears to have been violated but urges me to propose wording for an amendment to the rules.
So here it is:
4.4 - Encouraging others to agree with your answers or disagree with answers provided by others, is prohibited. The 'Ask the Asker' box must be used only to request further information or contex
... See more
Well, I took the advice of the two moderators here and contacted the two moderators for the board where the ‘special pleading’ took place. One has replied to the effect that no rule appears to have been violated but urges me to propose wording for an amendment to the rules.
So here it is:
4.4 - Encouraging others to agree with your answers or disagree with answers provided by others, is prohibited. The 'Ask the Asker' box must be used only to request further information or context and may not be used to solicit support for any answers provided below.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask the Asker

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »