Mobile menu

Closing KudoZ questions prematurely
Thread poster: Kim Metzger

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:42
German to English
Apr 12, 2005

Several days ago, Gabriele Twohig once again raised the issue of closing KudoZ questions shortly after they have been posted. Her proposal was kind of buried in another thread, so I'd like to repost it here along with comments she received and comments on the same subject made in another thread last year.

A lot of thought has gone into the KudoZ process and the process (careful research, peer-grading, etc.) should be allowed to take its natural course. And I also think that once an asker has posted his/her question, the question no longer belongs solely to her but to the community, with the ultimate winner being the KudoZ glossary that will be consulted by thousands of users in the future.

Automatic time-lock on grading of answers? Apr 1 - Gabriele Twohig

Hi all,
Haven't known for very long but am already a committed addict! Hope I'm managing to post this exactly where I want it, and please forgive me if this query has been raised already - am still learning to use this site better every day! - but I was wondering if it's feasible, practical and desirable to put a sort of automatic "time-lock" on the grading of kudoz-answers. There is nothing more frustrating than spending time and effort to research a term only then to find that in the meantime another answer has already been accepted - which would be sort of acceptable if the choice was a good and informed one but that is not always the case.
I know it says in the rules that one should wait 24 hours before grading but often people choose not to stick to the rules - which spoils it for everybody else. Anything that can be done?

Thanks for all your hard work. This is a great community, and is an invaluable, fantastic tool which I have already recommended to all of my colleagues.

All the best!

time-lock on grading answers Apr 9
I completely agree with Gabriele.

Apparently, it is not enough to *kindly ask* people to wait 24 hours before grading... That's why I think it should be made impossible to grade before the recommended 24-hour period has passed.

I know, sometimes (especially from Monday to Friday) a suggestion is accepted by lots of people within (much) less than 24 hours and there might be almost no doubt about the translation, but in other occasions (especially during weekends), one single (sometimes completely wrong) answer is accepted immediately by the asker without any feedback or "approval" from colleagues.

Don't get me wrong, it is not only about me seeing KudoZ points being assigned to someone else... It just does not seem very interesting to me to include incorrect translations in the KudoZ glossary That's why I usually add my answer/alternative anyway, so people who look for the correct translation of a term have other options too. KudoZ is not only meant for the asker who has an urgent question at that very moment, but also for people who are looking for the same term later on... Or didn't I get it?

I can provide 3 recent (this weekend) examples of this regrettable situation...

I would really appreciate if something was done about this.

Thank you very much in advance for your feedback and congratulations with this site! I have enjoyed it a lot since I'm a member.

time-lock Apr 10

Pablo Grosschmid
Fully agree with Gabrielle and Els

Here's the link to the earlier discussion along with some selected quotes:

GoodWords wrote:
An asker who is doing an urgent translation and needs an answer right away is free to choose an answer to use in their text, but they should nevertheless be unable to close the query until 24 hours have passed. (A better answer may come in in the meantime -- even if it is too late to be used in the asker's translation, the quality of the KudoZ archives will be improved by having the best answer available for selection.)

Muja wrote:
As per the moral KudoZ of answering to closed questions for the sake of the glossary and future users, please excuse my bragging about it, I've happened to add quite a few answers while using the glossary on live jobs and I'd like to encourage my esteemed colleagues to do the same: the KudoZ is not only a game but a huge on-going resource, it's up to us to make it better and better.

Steffen wrote:
While the 24-hour waiting period is still only a recommendation not a rule, its binding implementation had been discussed at length, also amongst moderators and staff.... I do support those of you who wish to see this feature imposed as a binding mechanism as this could improve the quality of KudoZ. I wholeheartedly agree with GoodWords' comments - the benefits of this move would by far outweigh the disadvantages/constraints put on KudoZ askers.

[Edited at 2005-04-12 16:05]

[Edited at 2005-04-12 19:29]

Direct link Reply with quote
Local time: 04:42
English to French
Binding 24-hours before closing Apr 12, 2005

I agree with my colleagues that a cool-off period to get better quality answer would improve the quality of the glossary. I like the fact that we get answers instantly but the first ones are not always the best answers. Some people are putting a lot of time and effort to document their answers and we should wait for the expert inputs before feeding the glossary. The asker is free to pick up whatever he/she wants and often times they post a question because they don't have time to do the research but nobody would be penalized if we were asked to wait before grading an answer. There is a lot of great stuff in KudoZ but there is also a lot of questionable answers. Quality should be the criteria before making an entry to the glossary.

Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:42
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Require the asker to wait 24 hours Apr 13, 2005

Thank you Kim for posting this topic.

I strongly support an automatic 24-hour time-lock for closing of KudoZ questions.

In the meantime, I suggest that the KudoZ rules be changed immediately to require, rather than recommend, that the asker wait 24 hours before closing a question. Any asker closing before the 24 hour period has elapsed should be notified of the 24-hour closing rule, either automatically or by another member via the Ask the Asker box.

My thoughts,
Michele Fauble

Pablo Grosschmid  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
or not closing them .... Apr 14, 2005

by the way, why not prevent posting a new question to anyone who has questions open older than (15?) days?
a little more discipline would not go amiss

Els Thant, M.A., B.Tr.
Local time: 03:42
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
automatic 24-hour time-lock on closing prematurely and "exclusion" for not closing Apr 15, 2005

I strongly support:
- an automatic 24-hour time-lock for closing of KudoZ questions
- prevent posting a new question to anyone who has questions open older than (15?) days

I've been searching the forums and, apparently, this is quite an "old" topic...
Wouldn't it be time to really do something about it?

Thank you very much in advance!

Adrien Esparron
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Facile à faire, mais politiquement incorrect Apr 15, 2005

elsthant wrote:

I strongly support:
- an automatic 24-hour time-lock for closing of KudoZ questions
- prevent posting a new question to anyone who has questions open older than (15?) days

I've been searching the forums and, apparently, this is quite an "old" topic...
Wouldn't it be time to really do something about it?

Thank you very much in advance!

Désolé pour l'exception culturelle, mais j'écris toujours dans ma langue maternelle.

Sur le plan de la programmation (on va dire JavaScript ...), ces deux idées sont bien plus simples à mettre en oeuvre que la gratification automatique de points par le Robot quand ceux à qui on a rendu service ne s'en rendent même pas compte ... Une fois cela passe, mais la deuxième, c'est pesé et la personne risque de s'exclure elle-même.

Alors, si cela n'est pas fait, c'est qu'il y a une raison. Comme elle n'est pas technique, elle est autre ... et mon idée est que ceux qui ne répondront plus seront remplacés par d'autres ... alors pourquoi imposer quoi que ce soit ?

C'est ce que l'on appelle tirer la qualité vers le bas et non vers le haut, mais cela ce n'est pas nouveau non plus !

Bien cordialement à tous,

Cilian O'Tuama
German to English
+ ...
Also in favour of a time-lock Jul 16, 2005

Automatic time-lock on grading of answers?

(Missed this topic before, must've been on holiday)

I'd also be all for this change, but I think we'd have to tackle another issue at the same time, namely that of askers who post Qs without logging in. If they can't grade immediately, do you seriously think they'll come back 24 hours later to grade? And if they're not logged in, I don't suppose they can be sent the "please-grade-your-question" reminder. IOW, I see the danger of even more questions being graded by our esteemed colleague, the robot.

Other than that, I don't see any reason not to introduce a lock. Who could possibly be against it!?

United States
Local time: 04:42
French to English
Would 12 hours be ok? Jul 17, 2005

That's still a good amount of time, if you have in fact found the answer and would like to give credit where credit it due.

Once I asked a question and I have to admit, I was a little annoyed because I nicely posted very polite thanks to everyone for their input, and someone put in a "Ask the Asker" note to me and said something like, that's nice but you're supposed to grade the question, to which I had to respond, yes I know that but since it's recommended that I'm supposed to wait 24 hours, that is what I'd like to do. I thought it was rude that the person, instead of saying, you're welcome to my very polite and sincere thank yous, actually posted to me that I had to grade the question, when I was the one following the rules there. It made me wonder if the person's intent in responding was to help me, or just to be petty and get the points - sure, we all like getting the points, but at least part of the reason for answering should be the spirit of collaboration. This person obviously didn't care whether s/he had helped me or not.

Anyway, we're talking about the opposite thing kind of here, but on occasion yes I have been surprized to go to "Answer Questions" and see so many already closed. Less of that would be nice, but I don't think that 24 hours is necessary if you're going to make a minimum length of time mandatory, I think 12 would be fine.

Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:42
Partial member (2003)
Spanish to English
24 hours gives all the time zones a better chance Jul 19, 2005

gad wrote:

on occasion yes I have been surprized to go to "Answer Questions" and see so many already closed. Less of that would be nice, but I don't think that 24 hours is necessary if you're going to make a minimum length of time mandatory, I think 12 would be fine.

I think the idea behind 24 hours is to give everyone in the different time zones a chance to look at the question, give an answer or at least comment on those already posted. These days, I often get to a question more than 12 hours after it has been asked, simply because I don't often have time to make any contributions to this site with deadlines and children breathing down my neck.

I am also in favour of making the 24-hour wait obligatory and, in the meantime, it would be nice if moderators set a good example and didn't close their questions too early. Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Closing KudoZ questions prematurely

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs