Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Platinum KudoZ answerers to be given favored exposure in new leaderboard, KudoZ pages
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:49
SITE FOUNDER
Apr 19, 2005

In keeping with the recently announced site-wide shift in focus (to emphasize detailed fields and PRO-level points), a number of small KudoZ-related improvements will soon be made.

I will make a detailed announcement on the exact changes within a few days. For now, I want to provide advanced notice of one change that will benefit platinum members who answer KudoZ, and also affect non-platinum KudoZ answerers.

Whereas the current leaderboard links to the profile pages of both platinum and non-platinum answerers, the new leaderboard will link to popup summaries of the KudoZ profiles of platinum members only (and even then, only when those platinum members are shown in their working pairs). Likewise, in KudoZ question pages, only the names of platinum answerers will be clickable by colleagues.*

About the popups: The new popup summaries call attention to the areas in which a members has earned his/her most KudoZ points. The popups load quickly, so it is expected that they will be used even more frequently than the profile links that are currently in place. Because the popups can be customized by the owner, the popups will provide a useful networking and marketing tool for KudoZ answerers who are platinum.

The net benefit to platinum members is intentional. Our objective is to reward the people who make site improvements possible through their platinum investments. However, we have not forgotten those who answer actively but are not paying members--your efforts are appreciated by answerers and colleagues alike! We invite you to contribute to future KudoZ improvements--and growth in your own business--by taking this opportunity to go platinum. To encourage you to join your platinum colleagues at this time, and to be fair, we will be extending an opportunity to upgrade at a slightly reduced cost before the clickability changes take effect.

This is just one of the KudoZ changes about to be made. Details on the rest of what will be included in the upcoming release will be posted within a few days.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you have on this or other changes we'll be making.

------------

* Note that askers and moderators will still be able to click on non-platinum answerer names to jump to profiles. Also, asker names will be clickable for everyone.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Lesley Clayton
France
Local time: 10:49
French to English
+ ...
Question Apr 19, 2005

Henry wrote:

Likewise, in KudoZ question pages, only the names of platinum answerers will be clickable by colleagues.*


------------

* Note that askers and moderators will still be able to click on non-platinum answerer names to jump to profiles.


Henry,

Will non-platinum members still be able to click on the asker's name to go directly to the asker's profile?

Lesley


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:49
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, asker names will be clickable Apr 19, 2005

Lesley Clayton wrote:

Will non-platinum members still be able to click on the asker's name to go directly to the asker's profile?


Yes. Thanks, I'll revise my post to clarify.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:49
English to Russian
+ ...
ohmmm, Henry Apr 19, 2005

Awesome improvements, Henry. Congratulations to all of us and thank you and your team. Looking back I still remember those jinnies and Circles...

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:49
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
And Bluejays? Apr 19, 2005

I remember those silly characters too...

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:49
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
! Apr 19, 2005

I find myself saying this a lot lately but...This is yet another push in the right direction, I hope more people go platinum as a result!

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:49
French to English
Clarification needed please Apr 20, 2005

I've read it time and time again, but there is something that it not clear.

If a random member of the internet public (not a member, nor a non-registered asker) goes to the leader board, will they be able access about the people on it? Can they (easily) get to the profile page of non-platinum members?

Also, before us active but non-platinum reprobates shell out hard earned (although perhaps tax-deductible ) cash for platinum, can we know the other changes will be? It's nice to know what you're gonna be paying for, after all. Or at least, will the "slightly" reduced rate be maintained until all the changes have been announced?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:49
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, the changes will be made visible before the offer ends Apr 20, 2005

Charlie Bavington wrote:

If a random member of the internet public (not a member, nor a non-registered asker) goes to the leader board, will they be able access about the people on it? Can they (easily) get to the profile page of non-platinum members?


Yes. visitors will get to *popups* by clicking on platinum member names, and then from popups to full profiles by clicking on another link.

Also, before us active but non-platinum reprobates shell out hard earned (although perhaps tax-deductible ) cash for platinum, can we know the other changes will be? It's nice to know what you're gonna be paying for, after all. Or at least, will the "slightly" reduced rate be maintained until all the changes have been announced?


As we usually do, we will make the new functions available mostly in parallel with the old. You will be able to see the changes while the discounted upgrade offer is still available. (All I am doing here is giving a bit of advanced notice.)


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxCMJ_Trans
Local time: 10:49
French to English
+ ...
discrimination (what a surprise!) Apr 20, 2005

Some of us are not platinum and will never be so, if only because we do not come to the site for work and probably never will (and therein lie a multitude of tales!).
I do not like the smell of this new move at all. It reeks of further unpleasant moves to come. That you should want extra perks for your paying members is normal but you should realise that you may end up driving people who, for good reason, cannot justify the investment in membership away from the site. This will be a shame because it is not necessarily the platinum members who answer the most questions and create the most traffic on the site. And a site without traffic.....

Why is the word "scientology" repeatedly floating through my mind, I wonder?


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Lesley Clayton
France
Local time: 10:49
French to English
+ ...
Pop-up blockers Apr 20, 2005

Surely this won't be much use to visitors who use pop-up blockers. ProZ members may probably disable their pop-up blocker for this site, but visitors from outside may not bother.

Lesley


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:49
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
We will be evaluating the effect Apr 20, 2005

CMJ_Trans wrote:

Some of us are not platinum and will never be so, if only because we do not come to the site for work and probably never will (and therein lie a multitude of tales!).
I do not like the smell of this new move at all. It reeks of further unpleasant moves to come. That you should want extra perks for your paying members is normal but you should realise that you may end up driving people who, for good reason, cannot justify the investment in membership away from the site. This will be a shame because it is not necessarily the platinum members who answer the most questions and create the most traffic on the site. And a site without traffic.....


I take your point. We'll be evaluating the move and if it looks like it is detracting from the overall KudoZ experience we may modify the approach. Basically, we are (as usual) walking a line between rewarding platinum members--who subsidize the operation for everyone--and being welcoming of newcomers / casual contributors.

Why is the word "scientology" repeatedly floating through my mind, I wonder?


I don't know what you mean. Please explain.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:49
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Not "real" popups Apr 20, 2005

Lesley Clayton wrote:

Surely this won't be much use to visitors who use pop-up blockers. ProZ members may probably disable their pop-up blocker for this site, but visitors from outside may not bother.

Lesley


The popups are not the type that spring up automatically; you have to click. Most popup blockers do not interfere with those.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxCMJ_Trans
Local time: 10:49
French to English
+ ...
explanation Apr 20, 2005

Why is the word "scientology" repeatedly floating through my mind, I wonder?


I don't know what you mean. Please explain.[/quote]

Someone very close to me became involved with a sect of this type. We witnessed first hand how the system works. First you entice them in, then you hook them. Once you have done that you can start shifting the goalposts and encouraging them to part with money for things you can convince them they cannot afford to be without because they are hooked. And so it escalates.... Maybe that what was lurking at the back of my mind?
Just be careful you don't shoot yourself in the foot.
Maybe however you will be doing me a favour because I spend too much time on this site because I actually like answering questions. The way things seem to be going, you may just break my habit.
Never forget that is volunteers such as myself, and others of similar ilk, that help keep your business going.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:49
French to English
So that is actually a NO then Apr 20, 2005

Henry wrote:

Charlie Bavington wrote:

If a random member of the internet public (not a member, nor a non-registered asker) goes to the leader board, what will they be able access about the people on it? Can they (easily) get to the profile page of non-platinum members?


Yes. visitors will get to *popups* by clicking on platinum member names, and then from popups to full profiles by clicking on another link.



My question was about non-platinum members.
It's as I suspected then. You can only (easily) get to the profile page from the new pop-up, and a member only has a pop up if they're platinum.
By extension, therefore, non-platinum members cannot be contacted from their profile page via the kudoz leader board, because visitors won't be able to access the profile page from the leader board. True?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:49
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
volunteers... Apr 20, 2005

CMJ_Trans wrote:
Never forget that is volunteers such as myself, and others of similar ilk, that help keep your business going.


Actually, to put it rather bluntly, I think you'll find that if we suddenly had no platinum members the impact would be a lot greater than if we suddenly lost the "volunteers". In the first instance the site would probably go bankrupt and close, in the second it would lose some traffic for a while.

I'm not really sure what exactly you mean by "volunteer" anyway, usually it's a word reserved for difficult, challenging and often unpaid work (such as fighting in wars, combating AIDS in Africa, working in a charity shop to raise money for the homeless).

Here, you're just playing a game on Kudoz and helping other translators in the process. At the same time, you're getting the _free_ opportunity to bid on jobs, receive and give advice and a whole wealth of other beneficial information - all free!

I think it's actually Henry and his team who are volunteers, providing you with a free service.

Of course, the input provided by non-platinum members is immense and nobody will dispute that, but to somehow equate that with "volunteering" and being more helpful to the website than the hard cash platinum members dish out is a little amusing, for want of a better word.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Platinum KudoZ answerers to be given favored exposure in new leaderboard, KudoZ pages

Advanced search






CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs