KudoZ updated in various ways
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 03:57
Member (2003)
French to English
Is there any way to customize what comes up when I click "My Kudoz"? Apr 22, 2005

Henry wrote:

• Modified KudoZ point display in profiles

Until now, all KudoZ point totals have been shown on the first tab in member profiles. Now, a summary of top point totals will be shown on the first page, with a link to a new tab with the full list of point totals (by language pair, field and detailed field). Point totals will be ordered according to PRO-level points. This change makes the profiles easier to read and faster to load, and further highlights member strengths. Members can customize summary displays by choosing which categories *not* to show (leaving the rest to be listed in order.)

• New mini popups with KudoZ summaries

"Mini" popup profile summaries have been created to rapidly display summaries of KudoZ point earned. These popups are linked to from the new leaderboard. They load quickly and feature links to full profiles. Given the ease with which one may now look through member point summary popups, it is believed that increased exposure will result for KudoZ answerers (especially platinum members, who are favored with links from the new leaderboard.)

• I don't necessarily want to see my points tab as the default when I click "My Kudoz". I don't care for this page much at all, personally, and don't see why it is of more importance than my Asked questions, or even my Answered questions. Is there a way I can set my "My Kudoz" to come up to "Asked", or reset it to "Answered" questions, as need be? If I want to see my points and points history, that is fine but I don't see it as the most important thing when I am posting questions and/or checking on questions I've answered. Thanks.

Jason Grimes
    Jason Grimes
    SITE STAFF
    Added "show all questions" link to KudoZ list page Apr 22, 2005

To help address trouble some people have been having getting back out of editing mode, I have added a "show all questions" link next to the "Edit questions for which I was awarded points" link to provide a one-click way to clear all search settings and return to the default list of all questions. I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jason

Mihai Badea (X)
    Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
    Luxembourg
    English to Romanian
    + ...
    Two-three lines about the experience?! Apr 22, 2005

Henry wrote:

Thanks for this feedback. The idea with the popups is to "shorten" your trip to the profile by giving you the first information you would search for, faster. What is the first information in the profile you search for? We are now gathering information on this so that we can improve the usefulness of the popups.

Well, I think you’re right, Henry. If somebody is interested in the Kudoz leaders, s/he may also be interested in the points obtained by those members in other fields and pairs. I don’t know how feasible this would be, but if I were an outsourcer, I think I would find it useful to read two-three lines about the relevant experience of the respective translator.

Maria Diaconu
    Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
    Romania
    Local time: 10:57
    English to Romanian
    Squash button? Apr 22, 2005

The new features are great, thank you! But what happened with the squash button? I see it has disappeared

Elvira Stoianov
    Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
    Luxembourg
    Local time: 09:57
    German to Romanian
    + ...
    I just wanted to ask myself, what happened to the Squash button? Apr 23, 2005

Someone has asked the question at the beginning, but I didn't see any answer until now, so I second this question. Are we not allowed to use it anymore?

George Rabel
    George Rabel  Identity Verified
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    Re: Squashing questions Apr 23, 2005

Congratulations for the improvements. Now, I regarding the elimination of the squash feature, while I understand the potential for abuse, it is nonetheless a useful and needed feature. I suggest either bringing it back, or giving more people moderator rights. Nonsense, repeated, and over-the-limit questions crowd up the site.
    Here's one question I found this morning that deserved to be squa
    ... See more
    Congratulations for the improvements. Now, I regarding the elimination of the squash feature, while I understand the potential for abuse, it is nonetheless a useful and needed feature. I suggest either bringing it back, or giving more people moderator rights. Nonsense, repeated, and over-the-limit questions crowd up the site.
    Here's one question I found this morning that deserved to be squashed if there was ever one:
    http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1010812
    The potential for abuse increases if the squash feature is eliminated and there are only a couple of people with squashing rights.
    Other than that, great job!
    Collapse

Elvira Stoianov
    Luxembourg
    German to Romanian
    + ...
    making questions PRO not available anymore Apr 25, 2005

I have just noticed that we cannot change questions to PRO anymore.
    In the Romanian community there are tons of questions from non-registered users that would classify as pro-questions. However, these users can't select the PRO-category, so they just post all their questions as easy. Now with the new hierarchy PRO questions bear a much higher significance, but we can't edit them anymore. So basically we are stuck answering PRO questions and having no credit for that at all in the new desig
    ... See more
    In the Romanian community there are tons of questions from non-registered users that would classify as pro-questions. However, these users can't select the PRO-category, so they just post all their questions as easy. Now with the new hierarchy PRO questions bear a much higher significance, but we can't edit them anymore. So basically we are stuck answering PRO questions and having no credit for that at all in the new design.

[Edited at 2005-04-25 10:03]
    Collapse

Maria Diaconu
    Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
    Romania
    English to Romanian
    Agree with Elvira Apr 25, 2005

Elvira Stoianov wrote:

In the Romanian community there are tons of questions from non-registered users that would classify as pro-questions. However, these users can't select the PRO-category, so they just post all their questions as easy. Now with the new hierarchy PRO questions bear a much higher significance, but we can't edit them anymore. So basically we are stuck answering PRO questions and having no credit for that at all in the new design.

Completely agree with Elvira.
    We are not allowed either to change questions to PRO or to squash questions anymore. These features were very useful. What happened? These were very good and helpful in many situations. Giving these rights to members with at least 500 kudoz points, as things were before, was such a good idea, and now even Platinum members do not benefit from these anymore. What would be the reason for this change?

Kirill Semenov
    Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
    Ukraine
    Member (2004)
    English to Russian
    + ...
    My observations Apr 25, 2005

The recent switching-off of the possibility to squash questions really does nothing good. I see quite a lot of accidental repetitions, etc., but now the only thing I can do is to call a moderator to the fact. By the moment the moderator has time to take a look at "the question in question", there are already many answers.

As for Pro/non-Pro editing, now we can vote for reclassifying a question into this or that category. Three votes is necessary so that the question switched from no
    ... See more
    The recent switching-off of the possibility to squash questions really does nothing good. I see quite a lot of accidental repetitions, etc., but now the only thing I can do is to call a moderator to the fact. By the moment the moderator has time to take a look at "the question in question", there are already many answers.

As for Pro/non-Pro editing, now we can vote for reclassifying a question into this or that category. Three votes is necessary so that the question switched from non-Pro into Pro and vice versa.

First of all, I think Fuad Yahya is totally right -- the best of all is to shift "non-professional" askers to totally another area or site where they may get help without awarding kudoZ or anything. This approach allows us to get rid of the "Pro/non-Pro" division entirely -- and it's a very desirable thing because the division brings too much trouble.

If not, I would propose the following: if an asker is a registered proZ member, his or her questions are PRO by default.
    Many kudoZ askers do not read forums, are not aware of the recent changes -- and thus still consider that "non-Pro" are simple questions (not much logics in the approach, but still this is the attitude of many askers's who are registered members & professional translators).

Another possible way is to not distinguish Pro/non-Pro questions at all or to distinguish them under other names -- I do not know which would be better -- one type are questions asked by registered members and the other one are questions asked by unregistered outsiders.

Maria Diaconu wrote:

Elvira Stoianov wrote:

Completely agree with Elvira.
    We are not allowed either to change questions to PRO or to squash questions anymore. These features were very useful. What happened? These were very good and helpful in many situations. Giving these rights to members with at least 500 kudoz points, as things were before, was such a good idea, and now even Platinum members do not benefit from these anymore. What would be the reason for this change?

[Edited at 2005-04-25 11:19]
    Collapse

Gina W
    Gina W
    United States
    Member (2003)
    French to English
    Grading and closing questions Apr 25, 2005

I was wondering if I could have more time to grade certain questions without getting these reminders. I heard one ProZ.com moderator say that they try to track down and "discipline" people who refuse to grade or close questions, but sometimes, particularly lately, when I am still working on a massive translation project, I haven't quite made the decision yet of which answer to choose or whether any of the answers even fit. Of course, because of that moderator's previous comments on the topic o... See more
    I was wondering if I could have more time to grade certain questions without getting these reminders. I heard one ProZ.com moderator say that they try to track down and "discipline" people who refuse to grade or close questions, but sometimes, particularly lately, when I am still working on a massive translation project, I haven't quite made the decision yet of which answer to choose or whether any of the answers even fit. Of course, because of that moderator's previous comments on the topic of grading/closing questions, I do it but just wish in certain cases I could have just a little more time before getting a reminder. I understand the time limit but perhaps it could be extended a bit, at least in certain cases? If this has already been discussed elsewhere on these forums then please just let me know, thanks.Collapse

Gina W
    Gina W
    United States
    Member (2003)
    French to English
    I'm not sure I agree with that Apr 25, 2005

Kirill Semenov wrote:

The recent switching-off of the possibility to squash questions really does nothing good. I see quite a lot of accidental repetitions, etc., but now the only thing I can do is to call a moderator to the fact.

...We are not allowed either to change questions to PRO or to squash questions anymore. These features were very useful. What happened? These were very good and helpful in many situations. Giving these rights to members with at least 500 kudoz points, as things were before, was such a good idea, and now even Platinum members do not benefit from these anymore. What would be the reason for this change?

[Edited at 2005-04-25 11:19][/quote]

I don't think it should be easy to squash questions. However, I see your point about those who have over 500 KudoZ points. Perhaps it should be even higher, quite honestly, if those features were to be reinstated. I actually agree with having to call a moderator to squash a question, as I don't find it constructive or necessarily fair for someone to squash questions, unless there is a VERY good reason. Maybe that is the reason for this change - and what would be the big hurry to HAVE TO squash a question anyway? Why not just leave it up to a moderator?

As for the PRO option, I'm not sure how this works now, but I'm not sure I would agree with a member being able to do this, but then again, I might. I'd have to understand it a bit more, but I'm inclined to think that members can contribute a vote or something but not actually make that decision, since the purpose of this site is collaboration. JMO.

Kirill Semenov
    Ukraine
    Member (2004)
    English to Russian
    + ...
    Think out of the box of your own situation.. Apr 25, 2005

gad wrote:
    I was wondering if I could have more time to grade certain questions without getting these reminders.

First of all, it's just a small reminder, an e-mail which you get along with a heap of spam probably flooding your incoming box. Why worry about it so much?

Second, you had time to ask a question, and, most probably, you had your time to read the answers and use the help in your translations. Why don't spend 1 more minute to grade the most helpful?

Third, the first reminder is send in a week after you ask a question. Believe me, the kudoZ experience shows that if you don't have an answer during three days after you ask your question (even if you did on Friday evening), you are unlikely to have more answers or even peer comments. A week is pretty enough to grade -- and I think the two-week period for the autograding robot is way too generous. It well might be a week.

[Edited at 2005-04-25 14:34]

Elvira Stoianov
    Luxembourg
    German to Romanian
    + ...
    about squashing Apr 25, 2005

gad wrote:

... and what would be the big hurry to HAVE TO squash a question anyway? Why not just leave it up to a moderator?

The problem is that there is (almost) always somebody who jumps to answer questions in their run for points and you can't squash a question once it has an answer.

Elvira Stoianov
    Luxembourg
    German to Romanian
    + ...
    I agree with gad on that Apr 25, 2005

Kirill Semenov wrote:

gad wrote:
    I was wondering if I could have more time to grade certain questions without getting these reminders.

First of all, it's just a small reminder, an e-mail which you get along with a heap of spam probably flooding your incoming box. Why worry about it so much?

Second, you had time to ask a question, and, most probably, you had your time to read the answers and use the help in your translations. Why don't spend 1 more minute to grade the most helpful?

Third, the first reminder is send in a week after you ask a question. Believe me, the kudoZ experience shows that if you don't have an answer during three days after you ask your question (even if you did on Friday evening), you are unlikely to have more answers or even peer comments. A week is pretty enough to grade -- and I think the two-week period for the autograding robot is way too generous. It well might be a week.

[Edited at 2005-04-25 14:34]

Here are my opinions:
    When I work on a translation for three weeks, I first do the translation and then decide on the terms when I am doing the final reading. So basically, even if you get no answers after more than three days, maybe you still haven't yet decided on which term to use.

As for the time needed to grade questions, it takes a lot more than asking a question. You have to do your own research (at least I do), check out all the links and information supplied, so it is definitely more than a minute, if you want to be fair.

Kirill Semenov
    Ukraine
    Member (2004)
    English to Russian
    + ...
    Again, Elvira, you mean your own convenience Apr 25, 2005

My main point is that when you (or me, or anyone) ask for help and get the help, we have to think not only of what is convenient for us. I mean for me it would be great if someone translates my jobs instead of me in kudoZ -- and I'm simply to edit it. But this is not what kudoZ is designed for.

If you (me, Gad, or anyone) ask a question, take your time and your responsibility to thank your fellow colleagues who were of
    ... See more
    My main point is that when you (or me, or anyone) ask for help and get the help, we have to think not only of what is convenient for us. I mean for me it would be great if someone translates my jobs instead of me in kudoZ -- and I'm simply to edit it. But this is not what kudoZ is designed for.

If you (me, Gad, or anyone) ask a question, take your time and your responsibility to thank your fellow colleagues who were of help: select the most helpful answer and state how much you appreciate the inputs of all other contributors which in most cases are also of a great help. That's simple

[Edited at 2005-04-25 15:01]
    Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ updated in various ways

Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
    Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »