Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 15:20
German to Romanian
+ ...
Well, I think you missed my point Apr 26, 2005

Kirill Semenov wrote:

If you (me, Gad, or anyone) ask a question, take your time and your responsibility to thank your fellow colleagues who were of help: select the most helpful answer and state how much you appreciate the inputs of all other contributors which in most cases are also of a great help. That's simple

I didn't say I don't want to grade questions, but I can judge them better when I have gone through the entire text and have a better overview of the entire context. I don't see any harm in thanking one week later and being able to select the appropriate answer in view of your entire situation, rather than making a hasty decision and choose one answer, just because the system wants you to (I sometimes graded a question because the system made me, and afterwards I used a different answer, when I had time to analyze all the answers given). In this case, do you think it was fair?

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 16:20
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
You may use a different approach Apr 26, 2005

Elvira Stoianov wrote:
I didn't say I don't want to grade questions, but I can judge them better when I have gone through the entire text and have a better overview of the entire context. I don't see any harm in thanking one week later and being able to select the appropriate answer in view of your entire situation, rather than making a hasty decision and choose one answer, just because the system wants you to (I sometimes graded a question because the system made me, and afterwards I used a different answer, when I had time to analyze all the answers given). In this case, do you think it was fair?

Well, so you mean you ask a kudoZ question as soon as you stumble on a difficult point in your large text? Why not do this after you finish your draft translation and have read the entire text? Well may be that you will not need to ask a question at all (if the further context provides some hints on a questionable expression or term). And since final proofreading of the translation of a large text usually takes several days, you still have plenty of time to get answers and select the most helpful one with certainty (because you've read the entire text already).

[Edited at 2005-04-26 08:55]

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 09:20
Member (2003)
French to English
I AGREE Apr 28, 2005

Elvira Stoianov wrote:

Kirill Semenov wrote:

If you (me, Gad, or anyone) ask a question, take your time and your responsibility to thank your fellow colleagues who were of help: select the most helpful answer and state how much you appreciate the inputs of all other contributors which in most cases are also of a great help. That's simple

I think others should respect the fact that in some circumstances, more time is needed to chose the actual correct response. I don't see any harm in taking more time, and I do NOT see asking for more time as equaling not wanting to take the time to grade. Why keep insisting this when that is not what someone is asking for? What would be the big deal of a bit more time, UPON REQUEST? What I was thinking is that a moderator in that pair could take a look at my request and approve or not.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 09:20
Member (2003)
French to English
Kirill, you miss this point completely! Apr 28, 2005

Kirill Semenov wrote:

Elvira Stoianov wrote:

Well, so you mean you ask a kudoZ question as soon as you stumble on a difficult point in your large text? Why not do this after you finish your draft translation and have read the entire text? Well may be that you will not need to ask a question at all (if the further context provides some hints on a questionable expression or term). And since final proofreading of the translation of a large text usually takes several days, you still have plenty of time to get answers and select the most helpful one with certainty (because you've read the entire text already).

[Edited at 2005-04-26 08:55]

If in a certain circumstance it may require more time, then I don't see the harm in that. I don't see what't the big hurry to grade, especially if you want to stress QUALITY, which I assume, you do. For a translation of 60,000+ words, you really think that more time would not be in order? I have to disagree.

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 16:20
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
I'm against any hurry when grading Apr 28, 2005

gad wrote:
If in a certain circumstance it may require more time, then I don't see the harm in that. I don't see what't the big hurry to grade, especially if you want to stress QUALITY, which I assume, you do. For a translation of 60,000+ words, you really think that more time would not be in order? I have to disagree.

...but I do not miss the point. You don't have to be in a hurry but a week (not mentioning two weeks which are set at proZ) is more than enough for a professional translator to thank your colleagues. I would be ashamed if any of my questions was graded automatically. For me, it would mean than I take but not give anything in exchange. As an active kudoZ answerer, I hate to receive grading robot notifications. I would prefer not the points, but simple human "thank you". KudoZ is not an automated answer-back device, so me personally, I don't want automated grading device substituting a human. Who was supposedly "in need" of help.

[Edited at 2005-04-28 12:00]

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Take your time, just close the questions Apr 29, 2005

gad wrote:

I was wondering if I could have more time to grade certain questions without getting these reminders. I heard one ProZ.com moderator say that they try to track down and "discipline" people who refuse to grade or close questions, but sometimes, particularly lately, when I am still working on a massive translation project, I haven't quite made the decision yet of which answer to choose or whether any of the answers even fit. Of course, because of that moderator's previous comments on the topic of grading/closing questions, I do it but just wish in certain cases I could have just a little more time before getting a reminder. I understand the time limit but perhaps it could be extended a bit, at least in certain cases? If this has already been discussed elsewhere on these forums then please just let me know, thanks.

Hi gad,

The remainders sent by the system are just that, remainders. they are automatic and I see no reason to remove them, as they help us keep track of questions we may have forgotten to close.

On the other hand, askers are not forced to grade their questions within a week. There may be some administrative action taken against serious offenders (there are people with tens of open questions dating back several months), but we are not talking about a few days here.

By the way we may be talking about some ocasional warning, or even a blocking as a last resort, but "disciplining people" is not part of the site moderators' normal language.

Regards,
Enrique Cavalitto

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 08:20
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
the word "Translation" in KudoZ May 2, 2005

It appears very recently (today?) and i don't think it is needed there.
Consider:
"English to Russian Translation" sounds fine, but what about one language questions?
Let it be simply: "English to Russian", "English", "Spanish" etc. as before.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:20
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Agree with Vladimir May 3, 2005

I entirely agree with Vladimir about the superfluity of the word "Translation" after every language pair in the second column of KudoZ Term Translation Questions on the home page. I was just about to post a comment on these lines myself when I saw his.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ updated in various ways

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »