Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
agreeing/disagreeing hours after a question has been closed
Thread poster: Graciela Carlyle

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 8, 2005

Hi, I'm just wondering...is there any point in agreeing/disagreeing hours after a question has been closed?
Or is it just an easy way to get brownies?
Maybe I'm missing something...
Cheers,
Grace.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:05
German to English
agreeing/disagreeing hours after a question has been closed May 8, 2005

Hi Grace, yes I think it makes a lot of sense to add a peer grade after a question has been closed. Sometimes, when I am using the KudoZ glossaries for my work, I come across a very good solution or a very bad solution and might add a peer grade with a comment to help future glossary users.

But I also see your point about browniZ hunters. Irresponsible peer grading is as harmful to the process as irresponsible answers. Peer grading is part of the quality control process.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:05
English to Arabic
+ ...
For the record? May 8, 2005

Kudoz questions are forever and may be checked repeatedly for years to come. They're not only meant to benefit the asker. If someone disagrees with a certain answer (particularly if it's the selected answer), and if they think they have a valid point, then the fact that a question is or isn't closed doesn't really matter.
IMHO

Nesrin


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Jane Lamb-Ruiz  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
My experience May 8, 2005

Hello Graciela

In my experience this is sometimes justified when the answer chosen is patently wrong. This does happen and it can happen that a more experienced translator can come along and put in a comment re that. This happened recently in Portuguese. I see nothing wrong with that at all.

In fact though, I posted my comment after the question had been closed to the asker.

Another thing can also happen. The answer chosen is wrong and person who was given the points steps in and recognizes the error. That also recently happened to me. I was wrong and was given the points. So I told the asker to please ask the moderator to change the points to the person who had given the correct response.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:05
Partial member (2003)
Spanish to English
Yes, there is a point May 8, 2005

Hi,

it lets people know you agree or disagree with an answer, and that may be important if the answer chosen is (in your perhaps not so humble opinion) incorrect. I have agreed/disagreed with answers months and even years after the question has been closed and don't think this is a problem. Sometimes I do it just to say thank you to someone whose answer has really helped me out.

As for just trying to get brownies, those are the people that usually agree with every answer regardless, and I've come across quite a few of those in my time!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:05
French to English
Can be helpful May 8, 2005

Especially when someone has selected an answer about 10 minutes after posting the question.
(That would usually be to disagree, I suppose)

I would very much like to think that the programmers had the sense to block browniz being added for 'agrees' posted to a selected answer post-grading. I confess I just assumed this was the case and never thought to fill those dull winter evenings agreeing with every selected answer...:-)


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:05
German to English
+ ...
It must be coincidence... May 8, 2005

Just today I agreed to an answer made about 6 weeks ago - the asker had chosen what I thought was the best answer (of three suggestions). No comments were made on the answers and I wanted to agree (just because I felt the need to do so). I see your point with BrowniZ, but I'm still looking for something to do with all those BrowniZ...

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I should have given more details... May 8, 2005

I perfectly understand the feedback question after a decision has been taken. No doubts about it.
I was surprised this time because someone agreed with a chosen answer without adding any comment.
My answer wasn't even very certain, I just wanted to give the asker an idea and it seems it helped her find a solution (which wasn't exactly what I suggested).
To make it more clear, have a look:
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1024866

I don't want to make a world out of it, really. It just surprised me.
Cheers,
Grace.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:05
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
I agree, and I hope it is not to late ;-) May 8, 2005

Jane Lamb-Ruiz wrote:

Hello Graciela

In my experience this is sometimes justified when the answer chosen is patently wrong.


But just in this case, To comment, yeah I think so too, well, whom cares

CU

Toledo


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:05
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
Maybe using Opera like me May 8, 2005

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

I perfectly understand the feedback question after a decision has been taken. No doubts about it.
I was surprised this time because someone agreed with a chosen answer without adding any comment.
My answer wasn't even very certain, I just wanted to give the asker an idea and it seems it helped her find a solution (which wasn't exactly what I suggested).
To make it more clear, have a look:
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1024866

I don't want to make a world out of it, really. It just surprised me.
Cheers,
Grace.



sometimes my Browser do not refresh correctly this Site(not a Opera bug but Proz.com). So maybe he/she can "see" the question still open.

Rgds from a cool Germany ;( (8°)

[Edited at 2005-05-08 21:16]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 02:05
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
No brownieZ for peer comments added after a question is closed May 9, 2005

Charlie Bavington wrote:
I would very much like to think that the programmers had the sense to block browniz being added for 'agrees' posted to a selected answer post-grading.


Great idea, Charlie! I remember a proZian who used to collect thousands of brownieZ giving agrees to each and every answer in kudoZ questions closed several days or even months before. There was a stream of spam in my incoming box, with half of e-mails being the person's `agree' notifications. Soon moderators had to block the person from peer-commenting at all. In less remarkable cases members were obviously giving a dozen agrees without thinking just to get 50 or 100 brownies in order to bid a job or use the Blue Board. The solution you have proposed is a great remedy against such behaviour -- it's very simple but still allows us to state our opinion on closed questions & answers.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:05
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Excellent idea May 9, 2005

Charlie Bavington wrote:
I would very much like to think that the programmers had the sense to block browniz being added for 'agrees' posted to a selected answer post-grading.

That's a perfect solution. (I added a comment to a closed question only yesterday, after 612 days, because I felt the selected suggestion was not the common term in the industry. It was only a minor change however, so I didn't think an additional posting would have been adequate.)


Direct link Reply with quote
 

John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:05
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Cleaning up the glossary May 9, 2005

I agree that commenting on a closed question is perfectly OK.

However, if an answer is 'patently wrong' (Jane), one should alert the moderator, give reasons, and have a correction made.
If necessary, I have even backed my view by adding an own answer.
The procedure is very simple (I have used it several times), as the proz link is transferred to the e-mail window automatically.

The suggestion to prevent browniz being assigned for post-graded questions is excellent.

Regards, John


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
can I post my 'agree' now ;o) May 9, 2005

This makes so much sense!
Klaus Herrmann wrote:
Charlie Bavington wrote:
I would very much like to think that the programmers had the sense to block browniz being added for 'agrees' posted to a selected answer post-grading.

That's a perfect solution. (I added a comment to a closed question only yesterday, after 612 days, because I felt the selected suggestion was not the common term in the industry...)


And something else to add to the idea would be that if you're going to add a post-grading opinion, to make it compulsory to add an actual comment, so you have to justify your addition.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

cello  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
a coincidence? May 9, 2005

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

This makes so much sense!
Klaus Herrmann wrote:
Charlie Bavington wrote:
I would very much like to think that the programmers had the sense to block browniz being added for 'agrees' posted to a selected answer post-grading.

That's a perfect solution. (I added a comment to a closed question only yesterday, after 612 days, because I felt the selected suggestion was not the common term in the industry...)


And something else to add to the idea would be that if you're going to add a post-grading opinion, to make it compulsory to add an actual comment, so you have to justify your addition.


I completely agree with all three of you. A similar thing happened to a question I answered the other day. Have a look if you like at the agree I got, (www.proz.com/kudoz/1023452), compare it to Graciela's agree and tell me it is just a coincidence...


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

agreeing/disagreeing hours after a question has been closed

Advanced search






PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs