Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:12
German to English
+ ...
good faith Jul 17, 2005

paula arturo wrote:
By that rationale aren't we assuming that certain people are never wrong or worse certain other people can't be right? Some people have not yet had a chance to show they are knowledgeable answerers because they haven't been here long enough.

Naw. At least where I hang out, if newcomers come by they are treated civilly (what a word!), and if they abide by the etiquette, they quickly become accepted.

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copycats Jul 17, 2005

Thanks for the additional input, guys.

Just to clarify the copycats issue, I am assuming that the asker knows the order in which the answers were posted.

For example, if John answers my question after one minute with a smilie as his explanation and if Aloysius gives the same answer ten minutes later but with an explanation and a decent reference, then I will give Aloysius the points, because his answer was the most valuable, regardless of which answer is the most popula
... See more
Thanks for the additional input, guys.

Just to clarify the copycats issue, I am assuming that the asker knows the order in which the answers were posted.

For example, if John answers my question after one minute with a smilie as his explanation and if Aloysius gives the same answer ten minutes later but with an explanation and a decent reference, then I will give Aloysius the points, because his answer was the most valuable, regardless of which answer is the most popular in terms of peer comments. Both answers will appear as "answered within first hour", but I - the asker - will know which answer I received first. I really do believe that this will end the mad scramble to answer questions and the drop in quality that this invariably entails.

Mike's idea of adding seconds is horrifying - that would make the whole problem even worse! And I really don't think that the system works well the way it is, at least not as far as high quality answers are concerned.

All the best

Ian
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 14:12
Member (2003)
French to English
The very quick questions with tons of notes is a bit cumbersome Jul 17, 2005

I think you all know what I mean - a person who answers a question immediately, I guess in order to be the first to post, and then puts note after note (aka addendums) to their answer to add the links, alternative answers, etc. Also sometimes what they post as links and supporting text is not as helpful as it is long.

But I don't really know what the solution is. I find that I probably would have a lot more questions that I can answer if I didn't often lose the "race" to answer.
... See more
I think you all know what I mean - a person who answers a question immediately, I guess in order to be the first to post, and then puts note after note (aka addendums) to their answer to add the links, alternative answers, etc. Also sometimes what they post as links and supporting text is not as helpful as it is long.

But I don't really know what the solution is. I find that I probably would have a lot more questions that I can answer if I didn't often lose the "race" to answer. That's one thing people have to take into account when they look at the questions asked and answered ratio for a member - there's plenty of competition and it becomes sort of a "race" to answer questions, however it is much easier to just post and ask a question.

One thing about all the notes to answers is that sometimes the same note will post twice, this has even happened to me when I've answered questions, and apparently this is a bug or something, those duplicate notes can not be deleted? I think there should be a way to delete them, just as it would be nice to edit a question or an answer (for typos, for one thing).
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Excellent suggestion Ian Jan 24, 2006

I’m all for hiding answers for one hour or 30 minutes.

If not, perhaps agrees and disagrees could be visible to the asker and answerer only, and then to everyone else after the question’s closed.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Slowing down the KudoZ process

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »