Thread poster: Anabel Martínez
António Ribeiro
António Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Better May 19, 2005

invguy. "Possible solution:
Why not turn the KudoZ question page into an sutomatic “Glossary Search” page? i.e. Askers enter the necessary information exactly as they would in order to ask a question but, prior to the question being posted, they would be referred to the existing glossary entries for the word, expression, etc…….and have to “decline” all the answers provided. This should be compulsory.

invguy's suggestion is excellent however, I think this one is much better.

António

Anabel Martínez
Anabel Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:46
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great ideas May 19, 2005

I think both ideas are great and would be very useful in dealing with the specific problem that I began talking about. Of course, it's a lot better than having compulsory registration.

I agree with the fact that the Internet should remain a free access and a free tool, but I was just quite bothered by the fact some people seem not to see that we are not a dictionary, but real people out here, some willing to help, some others willing to help and get points in exchange, and some oth
... See more
I think both ideas are great and would be very useful in dealing with the specific problem that I began talking about. Of course, it's a lot better than having compulsory registration.

I agree with the fact that the Internet should remain a free access and a free tool, but I was just quite bothered by the fact some people seem not to see that we are not a dictionary, but real people out here, some willing to help, some others willing to help and get points in exchange, and some others chasing points (that's diversity, I guess). I know I can set my preferences not to get e-mail notifications, I know I can ignore those questions if I choose to, but my point was different here. Haven't you ever been treated as if you had to know all the words in a language just because you are a translator? My complaint here came due to a similar feeling: some people just tend to abuse language knowledge (probably like they abuse IT professionals).

That was it, I was only upset.

Cheers and thanks for coming up with much better ideas than mine!
Collapse

Ian M-H (X)
Ian M-H (X)
United States
Local time: 05:46
German to English
+ ...
Don't make it *too* difficult to ask! May 19, 2005

Kim Metzger wrote, quoting andycw:
Why not turn the KudoZ question page into an sutomatic “Glossary Search” page? i.e. Askers enter the necessary information exactly as they would in order to ask a question but, prior to the question being posted, they would be referred to the existing glossary entries for the word, expression, etc…….and have to “decline” all the answers provided. This should be compulsory.

Attractive though this might be at first glance, I can imagine it would lead to a stream of (justified) complaints from non-abusers about how they don't need to be treated as kids and made to jump through a dozen hoops before asking their legitimate questions...

A less drastic solution would seem to make more sense: limit the number of questions someone can ask per day and limit the number of questions an asker can have open at any given time.

Ian

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:46
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try www.bugmenot.com May 19, 2005

Marijke Singer wrote:

When I am doing a tricky translation, I often register at specific websites that have the information that I need because this is the only way of getting at the information. For this I have a number of aliases that are linked to e-mail addresses (after all, my SP allows me to have 8). I promptly forget about the registrations and if I go back again, I just register again using another set of "personal data". It really is that easy. Where there is a will, there is a way.

You should try:

www.bugmenot.com

"You're browsing the web and you click a link to an article on a site (let's say nytimes.com) but instead of getting the article you get a screen asking you to login or register. Infuriated at the idea of pointlessly registering for yet another site you turn to your good buddy bugmenot.com

Instructions
STEP 1: Make a note of the website address your are trying to access. For example:
http://www.nytimes.com/cnet/CNET_2100-1024_3-5567274.html
Or even just:
www.nytimes.com

STEP 2: Visit http://bugmenot.com

STEP 3: Enter the address from step 1 into the box and press the "Show Logins" button

STEP 4: You should now be presented with a username and password. Make a note of them.

STEP 5: Go back to the site you were originally trying to access in step 1 and proceed to login with the username and password you noted in the previous step.

With any luck you should be able to access your article now!

[Edited at 2005-05-20 00:36]

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:46
Dutch to English
+ ...
Bypassing useless registration May 19, 2005

Thanks Jeff! I am not as sneaky as other people I see! Long live Internet!

moken
moken  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Double agreement May 20, 2005

Ian Harknett wrote:

Attractive though this might be at first glance, I can imagine it would lead to a stream of (justified) complaints from non-abusers about how they don't need to be treated as kids and made to jump through a dozen hoops before asking their legitimate questions...

A less drastic solution would seem to make more sense: limit the number of questions someone can ask per day and limit the number of questions an asker can have open at any given time.

Ian

Absolutely Ian!

I can't imagine a troubled translator with an urgent need for help spending 1/2 an hour sifting through systems when he/she has probably researched and not been able to find the answer...very frustrating!

Limits to number of questions open: YES! There are askers out there with 100 unclosed questions...with most of the others having been closed by 'the robot'. The limit to the number of questions seems to be a matter of time...as a non-platinum user I just hope the limit isn't 1!

Cheers,

Álvaro))

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Again talking about KudoZ abuse

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »