Mobile menu

Suggestion: change of field order of Question Posting Form to support providing more context
Thread poster: langnet

langnet  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:12
Member (2002)
Italian to German
+ ...
Jun 1, 2005

I was asked by Steffen Walter, moderator for EN-DE, to post this suggestion (see above) I made in the German forum also in English.

In the German forum there has been a discussion about lacking context in Kudoz questions and rather harsh reactions by some SC members that seem to be growing recently. As a result of this discussion Klaus Herrmann and I myself offered to write each an "howto" on what should be kept in mind when asking and answering KudoZ questions, being supported by moderators Johanna Timm, Kim Metzger and Steffen Walter.

Starting out on that I "analyzed" the existing KudoZ Question Posting Form - and found it rather "user unfriendly" i.e. not very "intuitive".

Currently, the form field order is the following:

1. "Term or phrase"
2. "Language Pair"
3. "Level": (Pro / Easy)

4. "Language preferred for answer explanations"
5. "Explanation / More about term (Required)"

6. "Field (specific) (Required)" -> e.g. "Automotive /Cars & Trucks"
7. "Field (broad) (Required)" -> e.g. "Tech/Engineering"
8. "Write-in field (For further specification)" -> not required at the moment

9. "Special Options"

This doesn't seem very "logical" to me. More "logical" would be the following order/structure IMHO:

1. "Language Pair"

2. "Field (broad) (Required)" - e.g. "Tech/Engineering"
3. "Field (specific) (Required)" - e.g. "Automotive / Cars & Trucks"
4. "Write-in field (For further specification)" -> e.g. "motorcycles" (this field should also be mandatory)

5. "Term or phrase" (better: only "term" since KudoZ should be "term help", not a "resource" for asking whole sentences to be translated. So "term or phrase" could be somewhat misleading, though KudoZ Rules are very clear about that. Just consider that some languages don't distinguish between "phrase" and "sentence", e.g. German where both are mainly "Satz").

6. "Explanation / More about term (Required)"

7. "Level" (Pro / Easy)
8. "Language preferred for answer explanations"
9. "Special Options"

I think this structure would be "more natural" and might enhance the providing of context.

What do you think about this?

[Edited at 2005-06-02 02:33]

Direct link Reply with quote

Anabel Martínez  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:12
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
that would be better Jun 1, 2005

Yes, Claudia, I agree with you.

When I ask a question after a long time without doing it, I kind of get lost in the form because it lacks a logical order, as you say. I would do this as well as what has been said in other forums, which is directing the asker to the glossary if the question he or she is going to ask can be found there.

Great idea!

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:12
Japanese to English
+ ...
I think it makes a whole lot of sense Jun 1, 2005

I support it wholeheartedly.

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 08:12
Sounds like it is worth a try Jun 2, 2005

I have made a note of this suggestion for the next KudoZ release. Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: change of field order of Question Posting Form to support providing more context

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs