Awarding points... can I split the points between two answers? (staff: 'sorry, no plans for that')
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:49
Czech to German
+ ...
Jun 7, 2005

Hi,

I know this has been discussed before (when?) but right now I had a problem awarding points. My question was answered by two colleagues but both answers had the exactly same meaning, differing only in style/choice of words. I really would have liked to divide the points between them - if I only could! Is there really no possibility to split up points in such cases? Of course one should not over-estimate KudoZ but I like to be grateful when someone helps me...

... See more
Hi,

I know this has been discussed before (when?) but right now I had a problem awarding points. My question was answered by two colleagues but both answers had the exactly same meaning, differing only in style/choice of words. I really would have liked to divide the points between them - if I only could! Is there really no possibility to split up points in such cases? Of course one should not over-estimate KudoZ but I like to be grateful when someone helps me...

Charlotte

For those of you who know French and German, here's the link: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1052759?float=1
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:49
SITE FOUNDER
There is no plan to offer this option Jun 7, 2005

Hi Charlotte,

Thanks for your question/suggestion. This comes up frequently, but awarding points to the one "most helpful" answer is considered a core part of KudoZ and we don't have any plans to change that.

The points even out over time anyway.

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
One answer seems to have come in earlier and received more agree votes than the other Jun 7, 2005

The rule is to give the points to the most helpful answer. If both are equally helpful, other criteria can help, such as which answer came in first.

If the second answerer did not have anything essential to add, the recommended practice is to agree with the first answer, adding a comment containing the additional suggestion, instead of competing with the first answer. If the difference is essential, then a separate answer is in order.

Remember that the points are not th
... See more
The rule is to give the points to the most helpful answer. If both are equally helpful, other criteria can help, such as which answer came in first.

If the second answerer did not have anything essential to add, the recommended practice is to agree with the first answer, adding a comment containing the additional suggestion, instead of competing with the first answer. If the difference is essential, then a separate answer is in order.

Remember that the points are not the most essential thing about KudoZ. It is good of you to have recognized the help of your colleagues and to have awareded KudoZ points to one. Perhaps next time the other one will have a better chance. It is not a perfect game. The main thing is the collegial sharing of knowledge.
Collapse

Charlotte Blank
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Most helpful answer" Jun 7, 2005

@ Henry,

thanks for this quick reply, I was attending something like "no plans to change this" In this case here, though, unfortunately there were two "most helpful" answers, the difference being only - as I mentioned before - the choice of words.

@ Fuad,

of course you are right, points are not the most essential thing about KudoZ but don't you feel glad when someone respects your answer? I
... See more
@ Henry,

thanks for this quick reply, I was attending something like "no plans to change this" In this case here, though, unfortunately there were two "most helpful" answers, the difference being only - as I mentioned before - the choice of words.

@ Fuad,

of course you are right, points are not the most essential thing about KudoZ but don't you feel glad when someone respects your answer? IMHO, is it not very fair towards the second (or else) answerer, especially when there are several "agrees" most of which are not directly supporting the first one but proposing even other, similar, expressions.

So let's hope that even if there are no plans for a change at the moment, maybe one day it will change...

Charlotte
Collapse

Fuad Yahya
Arabic
+ ...
You can include a word of appreciation in your closing comment Jun 7, 2005

Charlotte Blank wrote:

don't you feel glad when someone respects your answer?

Certainly. There are many ways to show appreciation. A word of thanks is always well received.

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:49
Russian to English
+ ...
off-topic Jun 7, 2005

[/quote]
A word of thanks is always well received.[/quote]

Thanks very much for allowing me to empty your bank account, Fuad!

teju
teju  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
A suggestion Jun 7, 2005

Charlotte, when that happens to me, what I always do is add a note, thanking anyone else in particular who was helpful, or thanking everyone if they all provided valid answers. I think people appreciate this gesture. After all, points aren't everything. We help each other for purely altruistic reasons.

Ines Garcia Botana
Ines Garcia Botana  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
The most essential thing about Kudoz Jun 8, 2005

Fuad Yahya wrote:

Remember that the points are not the most essential thing about KudoZ. It is good of you to have recognized the help of your colleagues and to have awareded KudoZ points to one. Perhaps next time the other one will have a better chance. It is not a perfect game. The main thing is the collegial sharing of knowledge.

"The main point here is to agree with the first answer instead of competing with the first answer..."

This is the best comment I have ever heard of relating to kudoz answers!
It should be added to the ANSWER web page as a reminder!

If there is no essential difference, why people post similar options?
We are here to help or to compete?

It takes all sorts to make a world.

Regards,
Inés

MMUlr
MMUlr  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Absolutely right: Separate postings only if necessary Jun 8, 2005

Ines Garcia Botana wrote:

If there is no essential difference, why people post similar options?
We are here to help or to compete?

You are absolute right, I can only underline your statement. A separate answer should be carefully considered first, then posted if required for adding a real essential variation of other suggestions.

If the typing space for a comment is not sufficient, there is always the option to add "not for grading!", "only information" - or similar notes.

I can only think of one other occasion when it's 'allowed' to post a similar or identical answer: If answers come in rather closely and the second answerer did not have a chance to read the first one. - In this case it is nice (and polite!) to give his/her "agree" to the first answerer.

Regards, Margret Ulrich.

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:49
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
One situation I found myself in Jun 8, 2005

Sometimes, I don't use any of the suggestions, but get ideas from and/or synthesize a solution from one or more answers. In these situations, it would be nice to be able to split the points.

Just a thought...

Fuad Yahya
Arabic
+ ...
The practical question is still: How does one choose? Jun 8, 2005

It is very tempting to split the points in many situations, but since the rules of the game do not allow that, the practical question remains: What criteria should I use to determine which answer receives the points this time? The basic answer is still the same: the answer that was most helpful. This also applies to situations where "the answer" is a composite "inspiration" of ideas from each answer. One of the answers may have provided the most helpful idea, even if what was really offered was ... See more
It is very tempting to split the points in many situations, but since the rules of the game do not allow that, the practical question remains: What criteria should I use to determine which answer receives the points this time? The basic answer is still the same: the answer that was most helpful. This also applies to situations where "the answer" is a composite "inspiration" of ideas from each answer. One of the answers may have provided the most helpful idea, even if what was really offered was more of a hint that inspired you to find the answer elsewhere. I would give the points (perhaps partial points) to that answer. If the contribution of each answer was equal in value, then I would go with the first answer. Sometimes peer grades ("agree" votes) help in the process of choosing, but sometimes not.

Again, KudoZ is not a perfect game, and the points are best treated as a marginal issue, so that the focus becomes the exchange of knowledge.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I give the points to the answerer who has least Jun 10, 2005

I try really hard to decide on a single most helpful answer, but if all else fails, then I thank everyone and give the points to the person who has least. I like to encourage the beginners, and the point grabbers know how it works!

Charlotte Blank
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nice suggestions Jun 10, 2005

@ Can

Yes, you are right, sometimes this happens to me too. In this case I actually did not use the answerer's sentence but one of the "agrees" - which does complicate things further

@ Christine

I'm trying to do this as well if the answer suits my context well.

Thank you all for your opinions so far - I did not think there would be so much response! Judging from the numbers of pos
... See more
@ Can

Yes, you are right, sometimes this happens to me too. In this case I actually did not use the answerer's sentence but one of the "agrees" - which does complicate things further

@ Christine

I'm trying to do this as well if the answer suits my context well.

Thank you all for your opinions so far - I did not think there would be so much response! Judging from the numbers of postings it seems that this is an issue many of us are faced with (yes, I know, there are many much more important problems) so it would be nice if Proz.com could think of some solution for the future

Charlotte
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Awarding points... can I split the points between two answers? (staff: 'sorry, no plans for that')

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »