Thread poster: Balasubramaniam L.

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:03
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jun 22, 2005

Once in a while a rare nugget of a question gets posted on the kudoz network which brings out the best (or the worst) in us. Wouldn’t it be nice if we shared these rare ones with a wider audience? Here is my winner question from English (monolingual). Which is yours?

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1069594#answ_2574984

[Edited at 2005-06-23 07:01]

Direct link

gad
United States
Local time: 12:33
French to English
This IS a joke, right? Jun 22, 2005

LOL - please tell me this is ALL in humor.;)

Direct link

Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:33
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
slimy & limy question Jun 22, 2005

It took me a loooooong time to get through this question
Hi, I'm Snail. I'm Rabbit. Pleased to meet you.

I've picked up grapevine snails (in Germany) and put them in my garden, really. It is very tranquilizing to have them around.:grin:
They are very affectionate with each other.

I once put a question in the German sector about "unlimited/endless cups of coffee"
(Kaffee bis zum Abwinken) and got some staggering answers from my inventive colleagues.
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/923715?float=1

[Edited at 2005-06-22 18:15]

Direct link

writeaway  Identity Verified

Partial member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
The joke is on Kudoz Jun 22, 2005

Apart from showing why I give the English monolingual site a miss, it shows that absolutely anyone can sign up and start 'kudozing', often at other people's expense. I do have a sense of humour but this is just time-wasting nonsense. A glance at Asker's "profile" says it all. I'd be very surprised if there's a valid email address.

Direct link

xxxIanW
German to English
+ ...
With writeaway Jun 23, 2005

writeaway wrote:

Apart from showing why I give the English monolingual site a miss, it shows that absolutely anyone can sign up and start 'kudozing', often at other people's expense. I do have a sense of humour but this is just time-wasting nonsense. A glance at Asker's "profile" says it all. I'd be very surprised if there's a valid email address.

Nothing funny about this at all - it's a waste of everyone's time and I for one would have squashed it immediately. However, like writeaway and very many English native speakers, I have long since stopped subscribing to the English mono site, as it is itself a very bad joke.

There's plenty of humour to be found in the witty interaction between colleagues on KudoZ, but this kind of crap just makes me cringe.

Direct link

Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
I did not know Jun 23, 2005

Ian Winick wrote:
However, like writeaway and very many English native speakers, I have long since stopped subscribing to the English mono site, as it is itself a very bad joke.

I am sorry to read this. I was not aware of that problem.
Hope there will come some change.

Direct link

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
I hope the imminent changes will encourage you to return Jun 23, 2005

We need quality in our Eng mono.

Nancy

Direct link

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:33
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
I think the main point here is not strange questions themselves Jun 23, 2005

What I see -- and what I appreciate and value really much -- is that we all have a sense of humour, and that discussing kudoZ questions (many serious questions, not only this `snail' case) doesn't in any way mean that we cannot exchange jokes and have a fun. However serious and difficult a question may be, it's never spoiled by a good joke -- and this is one of the best way to make our presence at proZ more pleasant, exciting and friendly.

I'm all for jokes between fellow-colleagues at kudoZ area -- I myself try to joke much and I'm grateful to all the proZians for their great sense of humour. It is an important aspect of our shared sense of community.

[Edited at 2005-06-23 12:47]

[Edited at 2005-06-23 12:48]

Direct link

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
No humor, no need to insult people Jun 23, 2005

I think this is a person needing help with an English expression.
No need to make ridiculing remarks about it or sighing about the futility of answering such a question. If it is such a waste of time, why then waste time lamenting about wasting time??

I am flabbergasted by the attitude of some of you. You seem to think that this is site built for you and you exclusiveley.
If a question is not up to your eleveted standards, the question should be sqashed - period.
The solution should as always be: If you do not like the question, do not answer it.

Sorry for repeating this humane rule, but it seems - IMNSHO - necessary to do it.

Mats Wiman

Direct link

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:33
German to English
KudoZ humour Jun 23, 2005

Mats Wiman wrote:

I am flabbergasted by the attitude of some of you. You seem to think that this is site built for you and you exclusiveley.
If a question is not up to your eleveted standards, the question should be sqashed - period.
The solution should as always be: If you do not like the question, do not answer it.
Sorry for repeating this humane rule, but it seems - IMNSHO - necessary to do it.

It's not about humane rules, Mats, it's about ProZ.com as a workplace for professionals. This site was built for professional translators. I find your sarcastic comment "if it's not up to your elevated standards" condescending. We have not improved KudoZ by ignoring issues.

Direct link

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
And there's the crux of the problem Jun 23, 2005

Mats Wiman wrote:

You seem to think that this is site built for you and you exclusiveley.

Kim Metzger wrote:

It's not about humane rules, Mats, it's about ProZ.com as a workplace for professionals. This site was built for professional translators.

The professionals who want a professional site knownn as ProZ.com would like to restrict the use of KudoZ to their own circle, no outsiders, no non-translators stumbling on this site because they tried an online dictionary that invited them winningly to use free human translation at ProZ.com.

The glossary would be greatly improved if this were the case. The questions would be of interest to translators, by translators, for translators to comment on, nuance, context, philosophy, etc., not just Hello I love you My sister is having a sleepover tomorrow.

It's not a matter of wasting time lamenting about our shortcomings, Mats; it's a matter of investing time to find a solution to this dichotomy.

Nancy

Direct link

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:33
German to English
KudoZ humour Jun 23, 2005

NancyLynn wrote:

The glossary would be greatly improved if this were the case. The questions would be of interest to translators, by translators, for translators to comment on, nuance, context, philosophy, etc., not just Hello I love you My sister is having a sleepover tomorrow.

It's not a matter of wasting time lamenting about our shortcomings ... it's a matter of investing time to find a solution to this dichotomy.

Nancy

I agree wholeheartedly with your vision for KudoZ, Nancy. We've got to keep trying to make it better. Every time a member points out some of its shortcomings, we have an opportunity to explore solutions.

I'd like to add that in my language pairs the glossaries are excellent - if you know how to use them. There's a lot of garbage too, but after using them for over 5 years, I know who's reliable and who's not. I just can't get over how many real top-notch experts contribute to it. When so-and-so says she'd recommend such and such, I can take it to the bank. It really is too bad we can't showcase our real pros more. I mean the ones who are the best in the business.

Kim

Direct link

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
Professionals are not disturbed by the fact that everybody isn't one. Jun 23, 2005

It just so happens that this site is intelligent and flexible. It adapts itself to everyone's wish and does not force itself on anyone, it only demands of participants to use restraint in their wish to proclaim themselves as professionals and other inferiors as unworthy to ask the questions.
Stop moaning about it. Nobody demands that you answer.
Glossary entries do not have to be browsed, they can - as is evident - be searched. If you do not need help with 'I love you', you don't have to search for it.

Kim Metzger:
I find your sarcastic comment "if it's not up to your elevated standards" condescending. We have not improved KudoZ by ignoring issues.

It is not condescension, it is criticism. Improving KudoZ is not synonymous with more rules, restrictions, exclusions, blockings, condescending attitudes towards so-called 'non-professionals' etc.
It's about teaching/learning the new world of Internet exchange, sharing knowledge along individual preferences as long as is programwise possible instead of trying to create an elitist club where some are more equal than others.

Instead of proclaiming that "I have given up participating in the KudoZ game, cause the level has become so low" the real professional should say:
"A fantastic amount of questions pouring in. Good for an increasing number of people I'm sure.
Luckily I have learnt to pick and choose - there are still many interesting questions around".

Any objections?

Mats

[Edited at 2005-06-23 15:30]

Direct link

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Mats + thread veering away from original post ;-) Jun 23, 2005

Mats Wiman wrote:
Instead of proclaiming that "I have given up participating in the KudoZ game, cause the level has become so low" the real professional should say:
"A fantastic amount of questions pouring in. Good for an increasing number of people I'm sure.
Luckily I have learnt to pick and choose - there are still many interesting questions around".

I don't dispute that at all, Mats, and I do wish some former participants would return to the fold, as their quality contributions would greatly improve the very situation they deplore.

However I'm sure that restricting questions, not based on quality, but on membership, would be a great improvement.

As I stated before, links from dictionary sites bring about dictionary questions. It would be an excellent starting point to do away with these seductive invitations to use free human translation services. It seems to me the traffic in what we may safely term non-professional questions would come to an abrupt halt.

Nancy

Direct link

xxxtazdog
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
should have been squashed Jun 23, 2005

Some of the comments are funny, but the "question" really should have been squashed. In fact, I had visited it intending to squash it, but there were already quite a few comments there, so I couldn't. It was a clear candidate for squashing:

Unprofessional; lacks literary/technical merit

ProZ.com's KudoZ service is available via affiliate sites, and sometimes it is evident that there is no serious or professional basis for a question. For example, if an asker posts a series of "terms" with no apparent merit (ex. "Hi! You are a pig!"), those questions may be removed.
http://www.proz.com/howto/327

Pig, snail...all pretty much of a muchness...

Kim Metzger wrote:

I'd like to add that in my language pairs the glossaries are excellent - if you know how to use them. There's a lot of garbage too, but after using them for over 5 years, I know who's reliable and who's not. I just can't get over how many real top-notch experts contribute to it. When so-and-so says she'd recommend such and such, I can take it to the bank. It really is too bad we can't showcase our real pros more. I mean the ones who are the best in the business.

Kim

It's sort of straying off the subject, but I agree 100% with Kim here. The same thing is true in Spanish > English. You might sometimes need hip boots to wade through all the ...garbage, to be polite... but it's often worth it to get to the nugget of gold that can be buried in there. And yes, after a while you get to know who the real experts are in different areas, and whose answers you can take as gospel (and whose you can just ignore).

Direct link

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz humour

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs