The case for looking backwards (old kudoz questions)
Thread poster: Robert Donahue (X)
Robert Donahue (X)
Robert Donahue (X)  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Jun 26, 2005

Or, why it is beneficial to take a look at our past. A while back out of curiousity (and truth be told boredom) I went and took a gander at open kudoz from the year 2000 and onward. It was actually pretty interesting. It was sort of a little peek at Kudoz past. In many ways things were much the same as they are now; questions with little or no context, posted in the wrong lanuage pairs, declined answers without comment, etc. As I read though I came across a lot of questions essentially just... See more
Or, why it is beneficial to take a look at our past. A while back out of curiousity (and truth be told boredom) I went and took a gander at open kudoz from the year 2000 and onward. It was actually pretty interesting. It was sort of a little peek at Kudoz past. In many ways things were much the same as they are now; questions with little or no context, posted in the wrong lanuage pairs, declined answers without comment, etc. As I read though I came across a lot of questions essentially just sitting there. What I mean to say is questions that received good answers but only had one (or no) agree. There are also a bunch that have gone unanswered altogether. I would propose that those of us with a little time on our hands go back and take a look at these questions. Many of these questions are just in need of an agree here and there to "take them off the books" so to speak. In addition, there are a bunch that have simply never been answered and are in need of a little attention. What do you say?

***For the record, I am referring specifically to questions in the English monolingual and Russian to English categories. I didn't research others but I'm sure this is a common enough situation.
Collapse

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:47
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not a bad idea Jun 26, 2005

Not just to cause that the automatic system awards kudoz to colleagues, but most importantly to keep compiling these living sets of helpful tools which are the proz.com glossaries. After 1,027 days of having posted an answer, some industrious colleague took the time to review it. We all can contribute a bit to make of this site a wider door to the translation universe.

Best regards,

Elías Sauza

Anabel Martínez
Anabel Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:47
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I do it from time to time Jun 26, 2005

You made a great call, Robert. I had been thinking about doing a similar call

I'm one of those who, when I have a little time, search for open questions in my pair and fields and give some agrees, if I believe there are good answers and, therefore, such questions should be closed. It might be neurosis, but I think it's so unfair to have open questions! If we all did a little cleaning from time to time this could chang
... See more
You made a great call, Robert. I had been thinking about doing a similar call

I'm one of those who, when I have a little time, search for open questions in my pair and fields and give some agrees, if I believe there are good answers and, therefore, such questions should be closed. It might be neurosis, but I think it's so unfair to have open questions! If we all did a little cleaning from time to time this could change entirely!

This is all to say that I support your idea and put it in practice as often as I can
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:47
Polish to English
+ ...
Call to arms Jun 26, 2005

There was a cleaning campaign organized in the PL-EN pair a while back. It's a good way to get a whole bunch of browniZ.
As long as you award the agrees sensibly, for answers that actually deserve it...
As for the unanswered question (sorry, Mr. Ives ) - I guess some things have been asked over the years that defied our collective genius.

Cheers,
Pawel Skalinski

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:47
French to English
Good plan - how d'y do it? Jun 26, 2005

Robert Donahue wrote:

Or, why it is beneficial to take a look at our past. A while back out of curiousity (and truth be told boredom) I went and took a gander at open kudoz from the year 2000 and onward.

At the risk of sounding like the cyber-village idiot, how can you easily get a list of the earliest open questions?
I know you can apply a filter for open-only, but they're still most-recent first... Did you have to click "more >" a zillion times, or is there a handy tip you could impart to us?

Robert Donahue (X)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For English (as an example) Jun 26, 2005

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Robert Donahue wrote:

Or, why it is beneficial to take a look at our past. A while back out of curiousity (and truth be told boredom) I went and took a gander at open kudoz from the year 2000 and onward.

At the risk of sounding like the cyber-village idiot, how can you easily get a list of the earliest open questions?
I know you can apply a filter for open-only, but they're still most-recent first... Did you have to click "more >" a zillion times, or is there a handy tip you could impart to us?

OK, use advanced search. Languages:English, Fields: All fields, Level: All, Status: Open, Personal: All Questions. Then click the "View Questions" button.

It should show something like this;

English
Fields: All
288 results found. Showing results 1 - 50
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next Last

I'd suggest clicking last and working back. There are also a lot of questions classified "easy" that are not in fact easy. You might want to look at changing these.

As far as other languages, Ru-En requires your to keep clicking "more" until you get to the end.

Good luck!

Charlie Bavington
French to English
Thanks Jun 26, 2005

Robert Donahue wrote:

OK, use advanced search. Languages:English, Fields: All fields, Level: All, Status: Open, Personal: All Questions. Then click the "View Questions" button.

English
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next Last

I'd suggest clicking last and working back. There are also a lot of questions classified "easy" that are not in fact easy. You might want to look at changing these.

As far as other languages, Ru-En requires your to keep clicking "more" until you get to the end.

Good luck!

Ah, right. I had tried initially on Fr>En. Still, I'll go and have a look at the Eng monolingual at least....

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 09:47
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
Robert, please expand Jun 26, 2005

Robert, sorry, I can not find that "advanced search" you have mentioned. In other Searches one has to enter a word and select languages and field. And there is no oprion "all fileds" there.

I am losing it)

Robert Donahue wrote:

English
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next Last
Good luck!

Robert Donahue (X)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe this will work... Jun 27, 2005

http://www.proz.com/kudoz?&pairs=eng_eng&fields=all&level=all&status=open&personal=all&view=concise&questions_per_page=50&font_size=2&float=n&keyword_kudoz=&nresults=288&start=250

Robert Donahue (X)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ru->En Jun 27, 2005

http://www.proz.com/kudoz?&pairs=rus_eng&fields=all&level=all&status=open&personal=all&view=concise&questions_per_page=50&font_size=2&float=n&keyword_kudoz=&nresults=185&start=150

Charlie Bavington
French to English
To cheat.... Jun 27, 2005

Robert Donahue wrote:

Good luck!

Actually, once you've clicked "more" once, you end up with a parameter "startpage=x" at the end of the URL. You can overwrite that with any number and it'll jump to that place in the list. It's a bit of a random approach, but it works.
You can then scroll through Qs, using the next/previous Q prompts on the Q page (instead of return to list, or the back button, which doesn't work properly if you've added anything to the Q)

That said, I note that a lot of open questions are either pretty much unaswerable, or are open because the Asker declined all answers (or the only answer!) at the time and didn't close the Q.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The case for looking backwards (old kudoz questions)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »