Thread poster: Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:16
German to English
+ ...
Jul 1, 2005

I replied to a KudoZ question, and gave a web reference (in the field provided). My explanation referred explicitly to the web reference.
So far so good.

Then I added another comment which did not refer to this web reference (but took the matter further in the light of additional research).

However, it seems that web references given in the URL field wander down the page and always come after the last explanatory text. This can easily be confusing, because the web
... See more
I replied to a KudoZ question, and gave a web reference (in the field provided). My explanation referred explicitly to the web reference.
So far so good.

Then I added another comment which did not refer to this web reference (but took the matter further in the light of additional research).

However, it seems that web references given in the URL field wander down the page and always come after the last explanatory text. This can easily be confusing, because the web reference is then out of sequence with the text it refers to.

Perhaps I should always add web references in the body of the text and ignore the special field.
Collapse

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
just put the urls in the explanation field Jul 1, 2005

IMO, the separate web references field isn't particularly useful and has been overtaken by the practice of simply copying and pasting google hits. I hardly ever use the web refs field, and as far as I can see from the pairs I monitor, most other Prozians also ignore it.

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Same here, Kenneth Jul 1, 2005

Hi Victor, Kenneth,

I use the text body in very much the same way (i.e. pasting URLs there). The URL boxes are a remnant of KudoZ history - it was impossible in the past (i.e. in the old KudoZ design) to add active, clickable hyperlinks to the explanation field.

Just wondering whether the URL boxes should be dropped altogether...

FWIW,

Steffen

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 10:16
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
The fields became obsolete Jul 1, 2005

Steffen Walter wrote:
Just wondering whether the URL boxes should be dropped altogether...

I agree -- the fields are not needed anymore.

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Revamp the fields! Jul 1, 2005

I agree that they are not used and layoutwise they are badly used.

I suggest that the 'http.//' is erased and that the two fields get numbers '1' and '2'.

In the explanation box, one can write:

Blablablabla (1)
and
BluBluBluBlu (2)

and then write whatever source one refers to in the two reference fields 1 and 2.

Layoutwise, the presentation of the reffields should be closer to the explanations given.

Mats

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Position of web reference field in KudoZ replies

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »