Mobile menu

Suggestion: abolish "Middle" and "Old" Dutch, English, Irish, etc. KudoZ language selection
Thread poster: juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:03
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jul 12, 2005

It seemed like a good idea, but there were no questions to date in these categories.
I assume, that the obvious thing would be to pose a question say: "Old English to English, explanation wanted", but so far no such request has been made at all.
I am not too surprised about the lack of questions, because one would have to decide first, which category to use, and then wait... and wait for answers.
Not everybody looks at the home page with all the questions. It is easier to pop onto "my languages" and change from there to others. So these combinations are not visited frequently.
The popular basic language combinations can cope perfectly well with the occasional ancient word or expression.
It would also shorten the ever-growing list of language combinations a little, without any detriment to anybody.

Direct link Reply with quote

dieter haake  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:03
Italian to German
+ ...
... and add austrian german and swiss german Jul 12, 2005

in it-de-it we have often questions

from austrian/swiss German to Italian

and it's very difficult to answer if you don't know
where the question comes from

Florence B  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
I don't agree Jul 12, 2005

with this suggestion, because these languages are (possibly)linked to profiles. There may not have been any questions, but I proudly display Middle French to French in my profile as a working language and I've had some jobs from time to time in this language "pair" (not through ProZ I confess - but it is a part of the linguistic services that I can offer). It is not similar at all to proofreading or editing (that would be identified by "French mono" in my case).

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:03
Remove the old irish categories Jul 13, 2005

Can I suggest we get rid of the Old Irish/Gaelic categories?

The only questions we ever seem to get in the Irish/Gaelic forums are variations on love or "i love you", tattoo inscriptions or Clannad/Enya songs.

The askers usually don't even bother to look up the English word first to see if it is there (it usually is), never mind asking them to put it into the right language category!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: abolish "Middle" and "Old" Dutch, English, Irish, etc. KudoZ language selection

Advanced search

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs