DocteurPC
DocteurPC  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:14
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
really touched a sore spot on the abusive use of "answer declined" Jul 29, 2005

This post generated quite a lot of good thoughtful answers.

Obviously, I'm not the only one who felt that way (sometimes we wonder... is it just me?...or?)

Thanks to Henry saying this feature would be modified shortly - As many of you mentioned, it can be a useful tool, when well utilized. Maybe forcing the Asker to include a reason would be a step in the right direction.

Now, if we can just get Askers to close old questions......
See more
This post generated quite a lot of good thoughtful answers.

Obviously, I'm not the only one who felt that way (sometimes we wonder... is it just me?...or?)

Thanks to Henry saying this feature would be modified shortly - As many of you mentioned, it can be a useful tool, when well utilized. Maybe forcing the Asker to include a reason would be a step in the right direction.

Now, if we can just get Askers to close old questions... but I'm working on that one.
Collapse

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:14
English to Chinese
+ ...
Totally true! Aug 10, 2005

sarahl wrote:
It is more insulting than anything.
So let's do away with it, sometimes less is more.

FWIW

Sarah

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 02:14
Member (2003)
French to English
Same here Aug 11, 2005

DocteurPC wrote:

When I ask a question, I rarely decline answers,unless they are really off the wall and even then, I usually let is pass. The thinking is simple, why would anyone try to help me next time I have a question if I keep insulting them by rejecting theirs answers with a flip of my hand, which is what answer declined is all about?

I don't think I have ever declined an answer. I don't quite understand why someone will take the time to decline an answer anyway, when I think it's enough to simply award the points to the correct answer. I don't personally like the whole idea of declining answers.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 08:14
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Changes to 'decline' Aug 14, 2005

Henry wrote:

We will be modifying the decline functionality this month to encourage its use as a form of asker/answerer communication, and discourage its use for rejecting answers.

I think that's a good idea!

I use 'decline' a lot, but only so that I can give a specific thank you and feedback where appropriate on an Answer.

It's a shame some people take things so emotionally that are intended neutrally, but anything we can do to take the 'emoitonal sting' out of the manguage used on the site would help!

Alan Campbell
Alan Campbell  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:14
Russian to English
My thoughts on 'Decline Answer' Aug 17, 2005

This is an interesting thread. I recently used KudoZ for the first time in a long while and had not previously seen the decline option. I admit that I was a little confused as to its purpose.

I see now, however, that it might be useful as, by default, choosing one answer automatically declines all others. Having the 'decline' comment box allows the asker to explain briefly why a particular answer was declined in favour of another, although I tend to do that in the comment box when
... See more
This is an interesting thread. I recently used KudoZ for the first time in a long while and had not previously seen the decline option. I admit that I was a little confused as to its purpose.

I see now, however, that it might be useful as, by default, choosing one answer automatically declines all others. Having the 'decline' comment box allows the asker to explain briefly why a particular answer was declined in favour of another, although I tend to do that in the comment box when selecting an answer.

I agree that simply hitting decline without offering any comments is just plain rude.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The abusive use of "answer declined" in Kudoz

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »