Thread poster: Jack Doughty

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:28
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Jul 28, 2005

In the Russian-English pair, the required character encoding is Cyrillic Windows-1251, but questions are often submitted in other encodings, particularly KOI-8R and Unicode UTF-8, and so appear as gibberish until the encoding is changed.
The moderator can change the encoding and sometimes does so, but moderators cannot be expected to look at every single question that appears. It would be more convenient if other members were permitted to make a permanent change to the encoding so that everyone visiting the page could see the question as intended without having to make their own adjustments.
I am sure this problem must occur in other language pairs too.

Direct link Reply with quote

Alan Campbell  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:28
Russian to English
+ ...
I agree! Aug 17, 2005

Jack's post was inspired by one of my own KudoZ questions. I did not actually realise when posting that it was necessary to change the encoding and I admit that that was an oversight on my part. However, I am sure that I am not the only poster to whom this applies and agree with Jack entirely that it would useful if one could edit a post to change the encoding after posting, or to have a 'preview post' button to enable one to see how one's posts are rendered, both in terms of encoding and for proofreading.

Alan

Tsogt Gombosuren  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:28
Member (2004)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
Good idea Aug 17, 2005

Jack Doughty wrote:

It would be more convenient if other members were permitted to make a permanent change to the encoding so that everyone visiting the page could see the question as intended without having to make their own adjustments.

I would be happy to change the encoding of questions, whenever I encounter such problems.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Edit button should include ability to change encoding

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs