Patricia Lutteral
Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great, Jason! Aug 3, 2005

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios wrote:

I am sure that this will considerably improve the quality of the questions posted in the English-Spanish pair, and in other pairs as well. Thanks a lot to all the staff for listening to our requests!

I fully agree with Rosa María.

This is a most welcome improvement

Best regards to everybody,

Patricia

GILLES MEUNIER
GILLES MEUNIER  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:13
English to French
To Bartek Aug 3, 2005

I think the rules must apply to everybody whatever the number of Kudoz points. Otherwise, it will be a mess. After, another prozian will say that he has been on Proz for a long time and he has a right to ask more questions, ect...
To be a platinium member or non-platinium is another problem but it seems to be that the system is fair by giving more questions to ask for a platinium member. I was joking about the number of Kudoz points to be removed but to exchange Kudoz points against extra
... See more
I think the rules must apply to everybody whatever the number of Kudoz points. Otherwise, it will be a mess. After, another prozian will say that he has been on Proz for a long time and he has a right to ask more questions, ect...
To be a platinium member or non-platinium is another problem but it seems to be that the system is fair by giving more questions to ask for a platinium member. I was joking about the number of Kudoz points to be removed but to exchange Kudoz points against extra questions would be interesting. Kudoz points would be useful at least....
Collapse

Adriana Portas
Adriana Portas
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Limit of 5 questions for non-members???? Aug 3, 2005

I have been helping others with their questions and am between the 15 leaders in the month. I have not made questions lately, but occasionally, in certain works, I need to make more than 5 questions. This limit is not fair in my point of view. This simply forces non-platinum member to become platinum, which is not that cheap (at least for me).
I do hope this is be reviewed, for I wish to continue to help and get help.

Adriana Portas
Adriana Portas
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Totally agree with the conversion of KudoZ points into "extra question" bonus! Aug 3, 2005

GILLES MEUNIER wrote:

To be a platinium member or non-platinium is another problem but it seems to be that the system is fair by giving more questions to ask for a platinium member. I was joking about the number of Kudoz points to be removed but to exchange Kudoz points against extra questions would be interesting. Kudoz points would be useful at least....

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:13
Spanish
+ ...
Glossaries and previous questions Aug 3, 2005

Elías makes a great point. I've noticed many times the same person asking ten questions in a row, and 9 of them are already in the glossaries. Maybe along with restricting the number of questions, there should be a way to stimulate the Kudoz/Glossary searching feature. Many of us already use it before asking questions but I've seen that many don't. I think this would help preventing people signing up more than once just to ask a couple of more questions.

Cali

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 12:13
English to Russian
A clarification needed Aug 3, 2005

Jason Grimes wrote:
The limits are:
15 for platinums

Dear Jason, please, explain to me how it correlates with the agreement between myself and Proz. When I was extending my plat membership this was not in there. Are there any more similar improvements to be implemented shortly?

FYI: I normally ask a question a month and answer/comment more but I do not rule out a situation (I interpret for charities a lot) when I will HAVE TO ask more than 15 questions, unexpectedly doing medical for a kid in some village close to Chernobyl. What shall I do then???

Best regards,
Aleksandr

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fantastic, Jason! Aug 3, 2005

I would give non-platinum members the possibility to ask a few more questions. Maybe 8 or 10?

Regarding non-members, I would direct them to the KOG before they can post their question.

Thanks so much for all the effort!

Andrea

mk_lab
mk_lab  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 12:13
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
I don't understand why people are so glad? Aug 3, 2005

Can somebody explain the reasons of so high emotions.
What are the benefits?

I also vote for limitations (say 20-30 for everybody), but not so "greedy" quote, especially for non-platinum members.
All related problems could be solved by very simple technical impovements of the site.

And actually this is not a solution against "malicious askers". They can easilly register 1-5-15... more nicknames, and ask as much questions as they want

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
One reason Aug 3, 2005

mk_lab wrote:

Can somebody explain the reasons of so high emotions.
What are the benefits?

In my case, I get really annoyed to see abusers, not askers, posting 20 o more questions in a row! Unfortunately this is quite common in the English>Spanish pair

Regards,

Andrea

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
C'mon, we have discussed this issue so many times Aug 3, 2005

When no limits were present, the voices for hard limitations were veeery loud. Now the limitation came and I see votes for making it weaker?

And please explain me, why should someone create new profiles again and again (still it is not trivial, you need to understand a bit of English if you want to setup a profile and this does cos time) only for the possibility of asking questions? Wouldn't it be better to invest that time in searching for answer on ones own?
Why do we see ch
... See more
When no limits were present, the voices for hard limitations were veeery loud. Now the limitation came and I see votes for making it weaker?

And please explain me, why should someone create new profiles again and again (still it is not trivial, you need to understand a bit of English if you want to setup a profile and this does cos time) only for the possibility of asking questions? Wouldn't it be better to invest that time in searching for answer on ones own?
Why do we see cheater overall? Or is it because we tend to judge the others by our own standards?

IMO the limits are necessary and time will show, how far the numbers are OK.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:13
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Limiting questions from the same IP address Aug 3, 2005

These are good ideas, very welcome in my opinion.

With regard to non-members asking lots of questions under different pseudonyms, wouldn't it be possible to limit the number of questions from a certain IP address? That way a non-member can't keep changing their name in an attempt to ask more questions.

craigs
craigs
Local time: 05:13
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Why are we so glad? Aug 3, 2005

The whole intent of the new rule is to ensure proper usage according to original intent and discriminate against those who are obviously freeloading and in way over their heads. Notwithstanding the appropriateness of the measure, I'm sure there will be some tweaking along the way.

George Rabel
George Rabel  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Kudos to KudoZ Aug 3, 2005

Much needed, mainly because sometimes genuine questions that members ask are buried under a long list of trivial questions asked by the "not logged ins", that could easily be found in a dictionary.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
e-mail were more feasible (and fairer) Aug 3, 2005

Rebecca Hendry wrote:

With regard to non-members asking lots of questions under different pseudonyms, wouldn't it be possible to limit the number of questions from a certain IP address? That way a non-member can't keep changing their name in an attempt to ask more questions.

Many countries operate with shared IPs, even on broadband.

And while I can envision a scenario of 15 hotmail accounts for one person, I think the effort required even to open so many will limit that severely.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Has anyone else noticed a great reduction in the number of questions today? Aug 3, 2005

I have noticed that KudoZ traffic was much lighter today. Is it because of these new limits? If so, I am greatly in favour!

Nancy

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Limits have been instituted on the number of questions one can ask in 24 hours

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »