Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Aug 14, 2005

We know the site is non-scientific by nature, it cannot be. But why continue with "Pro-NonPro"? It is clear that: 1.- Askers do not understand the criteria involved and 2.- Questions from anyone who is not a member are automatically classified "Non-Pro" even though they may be (and often are) brain-busters.

It appears to me to be a totally meaningless classification. I say let's take the easy with the hard and treat them all the same. It all works out in the long run.

W
... See more
We know the site is non-scientific by nature, it cannot be. But why continue with "Pro-NonPro"? It is clear that: 1.- Askers do not understand the criteria involved and 2.- Questions from anyone who is not a member are automatically classified "Non-Pro" even though they may be (and often are) brain-busters.

It appears to me to be a totally meaningless classification. I say let's take the easy with the hard and treat them all the same. It all works out in the long run.

What so you say, "tocayo" (Henry)? What do you say, colleagues? I say the sooner we eliminate it, the better.
Collapse

María Roberto (X)
María Roberto (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Life is short and simple Aug 14, 2005

" What do you say, colleagues? I say the sooner we eliminate it, the better."

You are rihgt, Henry, without a shadow of a doubt.
IMHO.

María

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 01:52
Member (2003)
French to English
I would agree with that Aug 15, 2005

...especially if, as you say, non-registered users' questions are automatically classified as "non-pro". I also don't quite understand when some people vote "non-pro", then disagree with one or more of the answers proposed, but do not propose one of their own. If the question is so basic, then it should be easy to answer, particularly if one has time to vote "non-pro" and disagree with others.;)

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
The original reason, FWIW Aug 15, 2005

I don't have any more use for the distinction than you, but some people care about it because they have signed up to receive e-mail notification of KudoZ queries. They can opt to receive notification of "Pro" queries only, to avoid receiving an e-mail every time someone asks a "trivial" question that could have been resolved by a dictionary.

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 22:52
English to French
+ ...
Less is more Aug 15, 2005

Yes, Henry, I agree 100%, this is one function we could definitely do without.

Besides, there are other improvements the site needs urgently, eg translating (!) a couple things into other languages.

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 11:22
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Yes, there should be no classification Aug 15, 2005

I agree to the point that there should be no classification as Pro and Non-Pro. In fact, most of the questions asked by non-members are automatically classified as non-pro, which in most cases are real brainteasers. I know that such questions can be converted into Pro, if three professionals vote but, unfortunately they don't always take the initiative. So, all the hard work and research done in suggesting answers to such questions is not properly rewarded as the points for non-pro questions... See more
I agree to the point that there should be no classification as Pro and Non-Pro. In fact, most of the questions asked by non-members are automatically classified as non-pro, which in most cases are real brainteasers. I know that such questions can be converted into Pro, if three professionals vote but, unfortunately they don't always take the initiative. So, all the hard work and research done in suggesting answers to such questions is not properly rewarded as the points for non-pro questions are not taken into consideration. I also think that the KudoZ points on the profile should be shown in the earlier manner, i.e. irrespective of the weightage being given to Pro points for the reasons mentioned hereinabove.Collapse

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:52
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
agree Aug 15, 2005

Yes, many people use the option randomly and I seem to be one of the few in my language pairs who reclassifies questions.
Personally, I never ask non-pro questions, because I want some engagement

Cheers
Paola

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:52
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Members of the public should be allowed to ask "Pro" questions Aug 15, 2005

I do think that members of the public should be allowed to ask "Pro" questions, as in the beginning. To define a question as "non-Pro" just because it is asked by a member of the public smacks of prejudice. And prejudice does not make correct distinctions.

Astrid

Kevin Kelly
Kevin Kelly  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Agree 150% Aug 15, 2005

Henry, you are absolutely correct.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
The distinction has reduced complaints in email alerts and onsite viewing, and has enabled the KOG Aug 15, 2005

A significant number of ProZ.com members wants to see, and receive notice of, only PRO-type questions. Complaints from them related to the presence of non-PRO questions have been reduced by perhaps 90% through the implementation of the PRO/non-PRO classification.

The PRO / non-PRO distinction has also made it possible to have a KOG (KudoZ Open Glossary) that is not rendered unusable due to the presence of "I love you"-type questions.
... See more
A significant number of ProZ.com members wants to see, and receive notice of, only PRO-type questions. Complaints from them related to the presence of non-PRO questions have been reduced by perhaps 90% through the implementation of the PRO/non-PRO classification.

The PRO / non-PRO distinction has also made it possible to have a KOG (KudoZ Open Glossary) that is not rendered unusable due to the presence of "I love you"-type questions.

There is room for improvement in our PRO/non-PRO classification. But for the two reasons above, I can not see giving up PRO/non-PRO, at least until such time as these needs are met in some other way.
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Two Suggestions... Aug 15, 2005

1.- Pro/Non-Pro can only cut down a certain percentage on the number of e-mails received, but the majority still go out. The best alternative there, especially for those of us in high-volume languages, is to turn off the feature completely. I started doing that a long time ago. When I want to see new questions I just go to the list and see what's there.

Easy, easy!

2.- It should not be difficult to purge the glossary of senseless, repetitive easy questions. For instance
... See more
1.- Pro/Non-Pro can only cut down a certain percentage on the number of e-mails received, but the majority still go out. The best alternative there, especially for those of us in high-volume languages, is to turn off the feature completely. I started doing that a long time ago. When I want to see new questions I just go to the list and see what's there.

Easy, easy!

2.- It should not be difficult to purge the glossary of senseless, repetitive easy questions. For instance, put in "I love you" or "cat" and delete all but one.

Easy also.

We all know that any semblance of perfection is not possible given the free atmosphere we have, but without that freedom we would cease to exist. However, I do think we should strive to eliminate any distinctions that have no legitimate basis at all, such as Pro/Non-Pro.

I also believe a lot more can be gained by coming up with devices to encourage people to use the existing glossaries more, perhaps requiring a search before asking. This has been mentioned before and is a good idea. More than senseless questions, we have a lot of questions coming through that have already been properly answered.

Why not?
Collapse

Сергей Лузан
Сергей Лузан
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:52
German to Russian
+ ...
There are lots of 'pro' questions appearing initially as "non-pro" in pairs with 'heavy traffic'. Aug 16, 2005

Anyway option pro vs. non-pro should be granted to non-registered users. There are lots of 'pro' questions appearing initially as "non-pro" in pairs with 'heavy traffic'. (Sp-En/ En-Sp, Ru-En/En-Ru etc).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why "Pro-NonPro"?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »