Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >
Comprehensive KudoZ update released
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
decluttering Aug 21, 2005

Kirill Semenov wrote:
4) In kudoZ new design, I see the format "(target question)->suggested translation" in each and every answer given. Not very convenient -- in each question I see all the same source phrase repeated which makes the suggested translations (headers of answers) go to shadows. Why not omit the source phrase and show the answers as the only headers? Otherwise they are lost among many other things.

Wholeheartedly agree with this one. I suggested this one as well in our private forum. If this is implemented, this will be a further step in decluttering the Kudoz question page. Beneficial to get rid of all the fluff and retain only the absolutely essential on every page.

And by the way, the source text is repeated not only in every answer box but also in every row of the Answer Summaries box. Unnecessary, methinks.

M

Aoife Kennedy
Aoife Kennedy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:48
Portuguese to English
+ ...
So far, not so good! Aug 21, 2005

The new system obviously needs some fine tuning, as I've tried to switch off the kudoz notification email option several times without success. Maybe there's something I'm missing.......

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 02:48
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Repetitions Aug 21, 2005

Marcus Malabad wrote:
And by the way, the source text is repeated not only in every answer box but also in every row of the Answer Summaries box. Unnecessary, methinks.
M

Sure, Marcus, repeating any information unless it's really necessary, is not needed. Moreover, right now while browsing trhough answers I feel like I have to seek for the heading answer as a separate string. As it is now, the header of an answer may be divided on several strings, and so on. Not clearly visible, despite it's given with bold. The main cause is the repeating of the source phrase in question, I believe.

[Edited at 2005-08-22 12:55]

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:48
German to English
+ ...
Yes, decluttering Aug 21, 2005

Marcus Malabad wrote:

Beneficial to get rid of all the fluff and retain only the absolutely essential on every page.
M

Great to see these changes being made - thanks Staff!

I've got three suggestions:

1)
IMO there is too much info under each answerer's name/photo. I don't see the relevance of the following (partly because that info can be found on our profile pages by anyone interested):

Relevant Languages:
Platinum Since:

I'd also move the photo out of the asker box and put it to the left of the person's name (i.e. in the top right corner of the main box), because this space is usually empty anyway - that would considerably reduce the size of the asker box.

2)
I'd like to be able to see the Asker's native language(s).

3)
It would at times be useful to have a timer for the asker's added notes and also for our "ask asker" notes.

I'll shut up now, at least for a while.

G'night

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 19:48
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Bidrectional term search already exists Aug 21, 2005

Daniel Coria wrote:

Konstantin Kisin wrote:

Imho it's essential that a bidirectional search function is available. For those who only work with only 2 languages this means we never have to change the language pairs (retaining the settings after browser shutdown would also be great).

A bidirectional term search would provide an additional advantage; when searching for the term/phrase "AAA" in the ENG-SPA direction, the search would return all available translations of "AAA" into Spanish, but it would also return results of Spanish source terms or phrases which were translated into English as "AAA", thus providing the user with a very helpful sort of cross-reference.

Hi Daniel and Konstantin,

A bidirectional search option is already available. Just tick the "Also search reverse language pair (target into source)" option in the ProZ.com term search page: http://www.proz.com/search/

Or do I misunderstand the feature you're looking for?

Best regards,

Jason

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:48
Russian to English
+ ...
toolbar bidirectional search Aug 21, 2005

Jason Grimes wrote:

Hi Daniel and Konstantin,

A bidirectional search option is already available. Just tick the "Also search reverse language pair (target into source)" option in the ProZ.com term search page: http://www.proz.com/search/

Or do I misunderstand the feature you're looking for?

Best regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

I was talking specifically about the toolbar. When I search through the toolbar I am taken to the search page. If I tick the bidirectional search there and click search 'n' save settings, and then search through the toolbar again, I am again taken to the search page but the bidirectional search box is now unticked.

I was hoping for a bidirectional tickable box in the toolbar itself (which would remember that the box is ticked after Mozilla is shut down).

Am I missing something?

Konstantin

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Non-platinum members' names now shown in term search results Aug 21, 2005

df49f wrote:
This is a policy rather than technical issue, but please allow me to reiterate my (and Walter's) request for name credit to be given to terms from our personal glossaries in Kudoz glossary search results, also for non-Platinum members. Even though we are non-paying members, these glossaries are part of our personal contribution to the community and it only seems fair that we should get recognition for them.
Thank in advance for your attention.
dominique

Hi Dominique,

I agree that it is fair for attribution to be given to those who contributed terms in the search results. Therefore, non-platinum members' names are now shown next to their contributions in the term search results.

At the same time, since additional promotion is one benefit provided to platinum members, only platinum members' names are clickable in the term search results. I hope this seems like a fair compromise.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Aoife, how did you try to turn off your KudoZ email notifications? Aug 21, 2005

Aoife Kennedy wrote:

The new system obviously needs some fine tuning, as I've tried to switch off the kudoz notification email option several times without success. Maybe there's something I'm missing.......

Hi Aoife,

How did you try to switch off your KudoZ email notifications? Did you set "Notifications" to "Off" in the "Email notification preferences" tab of your dashboard? http://www.proz.com/dashboard

Thanks in advance for clarifying.

Best regards,

Jason

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 02:48
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Problems with sending a reply to a peer comment Aug 21, 2005

I've faced the problem several times today. Sometimes, when I type a reply to a peer comment, the field remains empty. For a while, I failed to find a pattern when/why it happens. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure but it may be the Cyrillic font problem. From the other hand, it may not be...

[Edited at 2005-08-22 08:32]

df49f (X)
df49f (X)
France
credit for glossaries - thanks! Aug 21, 2005

Jason Grimes wrote:
Hi Dominique,
I agree that it is fair for attribution to be given to those who contributed terms in the search results. Therefore, non-platinum members' names are now shown next to their contributions in the term search results.
At the same time, since additional promotion is one benefit provided to platinum members, only platinum members' names are clickable in the term search results. I hope this seems like a fair compromise.
Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason
Thank you very much, on behalf of all of us non-Plat contributors.
I understand perfectly that Platinum members should get a "pomotional plus" as paying members - and your solution is indeed a fair compromise (particularly since I'm not really looking for promotion on the site!).
Busy weekend for you! thanks again for listening closely to everyone and responding so quickly.

dominique

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 20:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Still not satisfied. Aug 21, 2005

Jason Grimes wrote:

Hi Dominique,

At the same time, since additional promotion is one benefit provided to platinum members, only platinum members' names are clickable in the term search results. I hope this seems like a fair compromise.Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,
Yes, now I can see my name beside my glossary. However, although I am not a FULL Platinum member, I am a JOB Platinum member. And, since this feature is - as you said - for "promotion", and promotion - I assume - is in order to get jobs, I believe we JOB Platinum members are entitled to that too. Am I wrong?

Thanx again for all you are doing for the site and for us.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 20:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
The V shaped icon. Aug 21, 2005

Hi Jason,
Again asking for your help. My identity was verified on April 20, 2005, but I still don`t see the V shaped icon next to may name. I already sent 2 tickets about it. No response yet.
Can you help, please?
Thank you very much in advance. Sorry to bother you so much on Sunday.
Walter

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
more brainstorming.... Aug 21, 2005

When answering kudoz, the box automatically displays source text. Sometimes it is necessary to slightly modify text (singular/plural, typos, adding-deleting previous/following word, etc.), so that the relevant source term and suggestion appear in the answer box separated by a tab arrow.
It seems that it is not possible to retain the edited source text (at least this is what has happened to me), this means that even though in the answer box I entered an edited text when the suggestion was s
... See more
When answering kudoz, the box automatically displays source text. Sometimes it is necessary to slightly modify text (singular/plural, typos, adding-deleting previous/following word, etc.), so that the relevant source term and suggestion appear in the answer box separated by a tab arrow.
It seems that it is not possible to retain the edited source text (at least this is what has happened to me), this means that even though in the answer box I entered an edited text when the suggestion was submitted the original text was displayed in the answer box.
I hope my explanation is clear enough, thanks DZ
Collapse

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
Responses to peer comments Aug 22, 2005

Kirill Semenov wrote:

I've faced the problem several times today. Sometimes, when I type a reply to a peer comment, the field remains empty. For a while, I failed to find a pattern when it doesn't. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure but it may be the Cyrillic font problem. From the other hand, it may not be...

I've experienced the same problem today.

Also, one more suggestion: could we have one extra botton "respond to all/selected" or something like this on the very bottom so that we are able to post several responses to peer comments all at once? I would like to be able to enter responses to all peer comments and then just click one botton instead of having to enter each response and submitting it ("RESPOND" button) for every single peer comment separately. I hope this makes sense... IMHO it would be very helpful. Thanks.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comprehensive KudoZ update released

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »