Mobile menu

No contribution askers ('you now have the option of filtering such askers')
Thread poster: humbird
Aug 19, 2005

I know at least one frequent asker who constantly posting questions but never made any contribution to the forum. To me it is too much of free ride. Sure there is a lot of free lunch here, even this forum is open to anyone, even to non-members!
As a paid member and not a frequent asker (not to this person's rate, at least), yet believing I am making my share of contribution, this generosity to such free luncer to such degree does not look right to me.
Is my thought wrong?

Direct link Reply with quote

Amy Taylor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:44
Member (2002)
Italian to English
Very understandable! Aug 19, 2005

Hi humbird,

I understand your frustration. There is a particular person in my language pair whose questions I never want to answer for precisely this reason. However, most of the time, I try to be - shall we say - compassionate about such askers. Perhaps this person is a student and doesn't feel skilled enough to offer suggestions to others? In most cases, we can't know. As someone who has asked more questions than I have answered, I try to look at situations like this one as an example of how I do *not* want to behave, and try to adjust my level of contribution accordingly.

I'm not sure, but I think that with the new KudoZ "dashboard", as a platinum member you will be able to ignore questions from your freeloader and assist members you respect. Perhaps many platinum members in your pair will get fed up and do the same? This person may eventually stop receiving professional assistance until they begin to make a contribution of their own.

Not solving your problem, I know, but maybe offering a point of view that will help keep your blood pressure down...

Best,

Amy Taylor

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:44
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Not a new issue Aug 19, 2005

This has been discussed so often in the forums as it is a constant source of irritation to many.

Like any society, there are givers and takers, users and abusers - you have to make a choice regarding your particular level of participation.

Personally, I ask a Kudoz question as a last resort only after hunting high and low for a term in all available resources because it is a measure of my overall competence. One should not be judged on the number of questions answered and the number of Kudoz points gained but rather on the number (and the complexity) of the questions one asks. Personally, I enjoy hunting for terms in my translations, and it is quite amazing how much extra useful information is found when looking for something else!

Stay cool, humbird.

Cheers, Jill

[Edited at 2005-08-19 18:11]

humbird
TOPIC STARTER
What if the asker is professional translator? Aug 19, 2005

Amy Taylor wrote:

Hi humbird,

I understand your frustration. There is a particular person in my language pair whose questions I never want to answer for precisely this reason. However, most of the time, I try to be - shall we say - compassionate about such askers. Perhaps this person is a student and doesn't feel skilled enough to offer suggestions to others? In most cases, we can't know. As someone who has asked more questions than I have answered, I try to look at situations like this one as an example of how I do *not* want to behave, and try to adjust my level of contribution accordingly.

I'm not sure, but I think that with the new KudoZ "dashboard", as a platinum member you will be able to ignore questions from your freeloader and assist members you respect. Perhaps many platinum members in your pair will get fed up and do the same? This person may eventually stop receiving professional assistance until they begin to make a contribution of their own.

Not solving your problem, I know, but maybe offering a point of view that will help keep your blood pressure down...

Best,

Amy Taylor

craigs
Local time: 18:44
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Professional by whose standard? Aug 19, 2005

humbird wrote:
What if the asker is professional translator?

I know what you mean. I suppose "professional" is in the eye of the beholder.

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Try the new asker filter Aug 19, 2005

If you feel a person is asking too many questions, you can apply a "filter" and you will no longer be notified of that person's questions. By default, you will also not see them when you browse the site.

Amy Taylor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:44
Member (2002)
Italian to English
Thanks, Henry Aug 19, 2005

I read Jason's description of the new Kudoz functionalities very quickly. I'm glad to hear I understood the information correctly.

Having tried the new interface today on a basic level, I like it very much.

Keep up the good work! And let's hope this solves humbird's problem.

Amy

gad
United States
French to English
Non-members can post on the forums? Aug 19, 2005

humbird wrote:
even this forum is open to anyone, even to non-members!

I didn't know this. Why would non-members be able to post on the forums?

gad
United States
French to English
Can Askers filter out Answerers? Aug 19, 2005

Henry wrote:

If you feel a person is asking too many questions, you can apply a "filter" and you will no longer be notified of that person's questions. By default, you will also not see them when you browse the site.

This is great! I guess it wouldn't be entirely feasible for this to work in the reverse, though? It'd be nice to eliminate certain nasty comments, lol.;)

Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
French to German
+ ...
The other way round? Aug 20, 2005

humbird wrote:
I know at least one frequent asker who constantly posting questions but never made any contribution to the forum. To me it is too much of free ride.

Not so! Frequent askers are giving you frequent opportunity to earn KudoZ. They are therefore on the side that Gives. They do this even though it may spoil their own reputation, since the Questions/Answers ratio might make them look somewhat incompetent in the eyes of the beholder. Thus, they add a true touch of selflessness to their own generosity.

OTOH, the answerers that seldom pose questions themselves avail themselves of the generosity of the questions givers. They are therefore on the side that Exploits. On top of that, they get preferred placing in directory listings and perhaps even the fame of being omniscient like God. This adds a touch of selfish conceit to their reckless avarice. ---

This was tongue in cheek, of course. But, as you can see, the position that looks down on the askers is not that easy.

P.

PS. And no, my Q/A ratio is less than one, look it up. I rarely answer questions and even more rarely ask them. I'd rather find my own answers on the Internet and in my dictionaries, and I don't think the KudoZ system comes ahead of that.

[Edited at 2005-08-20 08:44]

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Non-members are able to view/read forums, not to post Aug 20, 2005

gad wrote:

Hi gad,

This seems to be a misunderstanding - non-members may only view/read the forums. They are not able to submit their own contributions.

Steffen

humbird
TOPIC STARTER
Q/A ratio Aug 20, 2005

Dear Peter,

You really brought up interesting point!
Yes, this ratio thing is what my sense of balance (between giving and taking) tips.

Yes, Kudo is my last resort too. I do many researchs, and unless the matter is of extreme urgency, I enjoy the process even in the midst of hectic time of meeting the deadline.

Also, on your another point that those free-riders are giving opportunity for us to earn Kudo point, thus in turn, contributing to the opportunities to enriching Kudo Glossary. This I have thought about also.

So the question is which weighs more importantly for the whole scheme: Giving opportunities to earn points, OR taking(Q)/giving (A) balance?

To be honest, what I would like to see is a mechanism which, with Henry and his team's ingenuity, would devise something for asker qualification.
Of course filtering is a great idea!
But if I understand correctly that solves only my problem. My understanding being so I put the filter so I don't have to realize that asker's name and his/her questions ever posted. If this is correct, then this way is like I am an ostrich who thinks problems are non-existent because he buried his head in the sand and see, hear, speak no evil.

Thank you,

gad
United States
French to English
Thanks, Steffen Aug 20, 2005

Steffen Walter wrote:

gad wrote:

Hi gad,

This seems to be a misunderstanding - non-members may only view/read the forums. They are not able to submit their own contributions.

Steffen

Thanks, that is good to know.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No contribution askers ('you now have the option of filtering such askers')

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs