Targeted questions ('bug - fixed')
Thread poster: cello

cello  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 30, 2005

First of all, sorry if this should have gone in the 'new Kudoz' thread, but I haven't time right now to read all of that thread to see if this question has already been answered.

I have just answered a 'targeted' question (www.proz.com/kudoz/1126702)

As soon as I opened the question I saw the following:

The asker has directed this question specifically to ProZ.com members who:
... work in this pair (Your profile shows that you do.)
... report a "specialty" level of expertise in the subject field (You have not.) [Edit]
You meet the criteria and are invited to suggest a translation.

How could I answer this question? I mean, when one targets a question, do only one of the criteria have to be met? Because I thought it was both. I suppose it's not very serious, I'm just puzzled, and I'd like to know for when I post questions.

Thanks, Linda

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-08-31 13:27]

Direct link Reply with quote

EN>ELTranslator  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:51
English to Greek
+ ...
! Aug 30, 2005

At least you meet one of the criteria.
I don't work in this pair and I don't have expertise in this field, but when I opened the question out of curiosity, I got this message:

"The asker has directed this question specifically to ProZ.com members who:
... work in this pair (Your profile does not show that you do.) [Edit]
... report a "specialty" level of expertise in the subject field (You have not.) [Edit]
You meet the criteria and are invited to suggest a translation."

So, I am as puzzled as you are.

Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:51
Russian to English
+ ...
Target questions Aug 30, 2005

Stavroula Giannopoulou wrote:

At least you meet one of the criteria.
I don't work in this pair and I don't have expertise in this field, but when I opened the question out of curiosity, I got this message:

"The asker has directed this question specifically to ProZ.com members who:
... work in this pair (Your profile does not show that you do.) [Edit]
You meet the criteria and are invited to suggest a translation."

So, I am as puzzled as you are.

I attempted to answer a couple of Russian into English questions the other day but I couldn't as the asker limited the questions to native-Russian speakers only.

Sometimes if it ain't broke, don't fix it.:)

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:51
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Native language restriction should no longer be in place Aug 30, 2005

Kurt Porter wrote:
I attempted to answer a couple of Russian into English questions the other day but I couldn't as the asker limited the questions to native-Russian speakers only.
Sometimes if it ain't broke, don't fix it.:)

Hi Kurt and all,

As far as I remember, Henry or Jason announced that the native speaker restriction was abolished some days ago - there should be some evidence of that somewhere in http://www.proz.com/topic/35829 . While askers may still direct questions to a certain subset of members, this restriction should no longer have an effect on (potential) answerers.

What I can imagine in this case is that the sentence "You meet the criteria..." just remained in place after the correction/change was made. This sentence should thus be deleted altogether, or its wording changed to "You may still suggest a translation if you are sufficiently familiar with subject matter and language pair."

Best,
Steffen

[Edited at 2005-08-30 12:48]

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:51
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks for this post - the problem should be corrected. Aug 31, 2005

Steffen is right that "restrictions" are now treated as "preferences". In other words, the asker has a means to specify preferences for answerer characteristics, but if you are sure you can help you will not be prevented from posting a suggestion.

That said, the "you meet the criteria" message was a bug. It should be fixed now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Targeted questions ('bug - fixed')

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs