20 questions, 188 words....
Thread poster: Paola Grassi

Paola Grassi
Local time: 11:41
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 2, 2005

Dear Proz team,

I wonder how kudoz rules may allow one member asking for 20 questions, and a total of 188 words, for the same language pair (Italian>French) in few days and all the words are taken from the same text.

This should be fix in some way!

Direct link

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Dear Paola Sep 2, 2005

As from your description this seems to be a violation of the site rules, please contact the moderator of this language pair.

Direct link

Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
wow! Sep 2, 2005

I checked it out and it's incredible!!!
I wonder why people answer...

Suddenly, I've had a feeling of déja-vu, so I browsed kudoz and yes! I remember. I restrained from answering this very person for the pair Romanian-Italian.
Ahah! It was "homework/test".

I regret not having contacted a moderator then, but I wasn't 100% sure. This time it's blatant, correct?

Cheers
Paola

Direct link

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:41
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
This behaviour is not allowed by the KudoZ rules Sep 2, 2005

I also agree that this person is abusing the KudoZ system, not because of the number of questions, but because KudoZ is intended as 'terminology help'.

Posting whole sentences, or parts of sentences, and posting questions in sequence is clearly an attempt to have his/her job done by generous colleagues.

The KudoZ rules do not allow this, see KudoZ rules in
http://www.proz.com/index.php3?sp=about/kudoz&show_mode=kudozrules
and the rule 2.7 in particular:

2.7 - One posting must be made for each term question. Posting multiple questions within the same posting is not permitted, since it interferes with the process of making glossary entries.

If you see similar cases contact immmediately the Moderator for that language pair, or any other moderator, and describe the problem.
I am now removing all questions, writing to the person who posted them and issuing a warning, to alert the member that this use of KudoZ is not allowed.

Thank you for your alert, but it would have been better to contact a moderator instead of posting in the forum.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2005-09-02 11:29]

Direct link

Paola Grassi
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:-( Sep 2, 2005

Hi Gianfranco,

I have contacted the Proz. com moderator for that language pair, but this behaviour seems to be allowed by kudoz rules and therefore the moderator cannot prevent members from it.

Actually, before opening this forum I have personally checked kudoz rules and they allow members to post questions containing no more than 10 words each.

Now, even though some of these sentences contain more than 10 words, the moderator cannot do anything because she is not infringing kudoz rules.

Long questions are permitted.
5 questions per day are permitted.
a relation between kudoz Q/A of 180/6 is allowed.

Briefly she can do it and she is doing it.

I think that this member should be prevented from making further questions for some time, because one cannot only ask or have a work done for free, one should help other members and when members clearly abuse kudoz, they should be stopped.

This rule of "10-word" kudoz question is not consistent with another rule (the 2.7 rule), how could this be fixed?

Direct link

Steffen Pollex  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
I don't understand what's getting you upset Sep 2, 2005

Just don't answer, and that's it.

Direct link

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:41
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Clarification about the rules Sep 2, 2005

I have removed the questions because they are not single "difficult terms" but whole sentences, or sentences cut abruptly at the tenth word, and for which the translator is asking to have her job done by others.
Actually, to be precise, in several instances there were 11, 13 e even 14 words. So, even the very flexible limit of 10 words rule was broken.

Note that the 10 words should be a "indivisible units", not just chunks of sentences cut in the middle, at the tenth word.

In any case, when the questions are not clearly identifiable with a difficult term, and the asker is obviously using the KudoZ service to have a substantial part of a job done by colleagues, the questions must be removed. In other words, they are considered, all together, as a job and not as single questions.

I would advice this person to contact a competent colleague, and pay for a consultancy, or a review, or to find some other ways to solve the problem, as it seems to me she is possibly in difficulty and KudoZ is not even the best way to solve her problem efficiently.

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2005-09-02 14:03]

Direct link

gad
United States
Local time: 05:41
French to English
I agree but also Sep 4, 2005

Steffen Pollex wrote:

Just don't answer, and that's it.

I agree that each person has the option to simply not answer questions.

However, if this type of issue bugs someone, then I would also say that it is much more appropriate to contact a moderator, rather than to start a thread here.

JMO, but individual situations should be referred to moderators, and general trends are more appropriate for forum discussions.

Direct link

Paola Grassi
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For Steffen and Gad Sep 5, 2005

Hi,

It appears that you have not understood the meaning 'behind' my opening of the thread, while Gianfranco (the moderator) has.

I had ALREADY contacted the moderator for that PAIR.
I had ALREADY discussed with him about the behaviour of that single member.

BUT....

it seemed that the moderator for that pair could do nothing, on that occasion.

SO....

I opened the thread to POINT OUT what it appeared a controversial aspect of kudoz rules and Gianfranco finally explained the way how those kudoz rules must be interpreted (thanks Gianfranco).

THEREFORE...

I think that this was something that was worth the opening of a thread, as I was not just pointing out a 'single' behaviour, but the fact that kudoz rules seemed to allow that behaviour.

I hope it is clear, now.

Let me rephrase your reply and say:

...I don't understand what's getting you upset about my opening of the thread....just don't read it, and that's it.

Direct link

gad
United States
Local time: 05:41
French to English
Nothing was upsetting ME... Sep 6, 2005

though it seems that possibly that YOU are upset that others posted to suggest when a moderator should be contact and when a thread should be started. I apologize for misunderstanding and for thus upsetting you. Take care.

Direct link

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Locking the topic Sep 6, 2005

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

20 questions, 188 words....

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs