How to ask a Kudoz Question for a language that isn't one of my pairs
Thread poster: lindaellen (X)
lindaellen (X)
lindaellen (X)

Sep 3, 2005

I would like to get an Latin translation of the name of an organization, I can provide the name in Fr. Eng. Ger. It., and need the answer in Latin, but I can't enter (or can't find the right place to enter) my question.

Thanks Linda

[Edited at 2005-09-03 13:44]

I figured it out! Thanks. Linda

[Edited at 2005-09-03 13:45]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-09-03 17:50]

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:08
English to German
Look for "More languages" link Sep 3, 2005

Hi Linda,

by default, only your registered language pairs show up in the language pair combo box, but below that box, there should be a link called "More languages" which brings up the full list of languages supported by ProZ.

Good luck
Endre

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Logout? Sep 3, 2005

If you only have one question, you can log out and ask as 'not logged in' !

You can then choose between all the languages available in theory, but you are restricted to only one question, and when you conceal your identity in that way it seems like cheating!

Please bring back the possibility of asking as a member in 'other' language pairs - I use this occasionally when proofing English texts written directly in English by speakers of languages I am not very familiar wit
... See more
If you only have one question, you can log out and ask as 'not logged in' !

You can then choose between all the languages available in theory, but you are restricted to only one question, and when you conceal your identity in that way it seems like cheating!

Please bring back the possibility of asking as a member in 'other' language pairs - I use this occasionally when proofing English texts written directly in English by speakers of languages I am not very familiar with.

Usually I get very helpful answers, and I don't do it often, so I hope this is not seen as abuse. It really helps me when my client is unable to explain or doesn't know the technical term I need, or something like that.

I'm happy to help people who have similar problems with 'my' languages.

In the earlier layouts of KudoZ, it was possible to choose language pairs freely.

What do others feel about this?

Hope it's just a glitch!
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 19:08
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
But IT IS possible Sep 3, 2005

Christine Andersen wrote:
Please bring back the possibility of asking as a member in 'other' language pairs - I use this occasionally when proofing English texts written directly in English by speakers of languages I am not very familiar with.

As Endre points out, under your languages you have a red link to "other languages".

Claudia

lindaellen (X)
lindaellen (X)

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone! Sep 3, 2005

Yes, I finally found the red link "other langauges" that was staring me in the face.

Best regards
Linda

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Thanks Endre and Claudia, I've found it! Sep 6, 2005

... and it works!

I have a pile of proofs on the way too, so let's see what comes up this time!

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 19:08
Member (2003)
French to English
I'm glad you posted this Sep 6, 2005

I'm glad you posted this on a thread, because some time ago I had mentionned that once in awhile I will have a term in a completely different language in a translation in my language pair - something that actually does happen quite a bit - and someone actually responded that they couldn't imagine something like that happening too often. I found that strange, since, like I said and in my experience, it actually happens quite a bit. I mean, I don't think you accepted a translation in another lan... See more
I'm glad you posted this on a thread, because some time ago I had mentionned that once in awhile I will have a term in a completely different language in a translation in my language pair - something that actually does happen quite a bit - and someone actually responded that they couldn't imagine something like that happening too often. I found that strange, since, like I said and in my experience, it actually happens quite a bit. I mean, I don't think you accepted a translation in another language pair, so I would imagine that you posted this for this purpose as well - so thanks.Collapse

lindaellen (X)
lindaellen (X)

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Gad Sep 6, 2005

Of course, I needed a Latin translation of the title of an organization. Latin words do often pop up and this is one language I never even tried to learn, as opposed to one semester of Inuktitut (also not one of my pairs)!! I've had more luck with the odd phrase in other languages, since for the most part they have been set phrases or cliches that were easy to find. You are right, it does happen.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to ask a Kudoz Question for a language that isn't one of my pairs

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »